Author Topic: Regarding Radiants  (Read 7443 times)

Offline dovesgate

Regarding Radiants
« on: October 27, 2011, 04:56:40 AM »
Many of the pictures of Radiants I have seen have what looks like lines through the middle from top to bottom and side to side. Is this just because of the magnification of the picture or are those lines visible to the naked eye?

Offline DiamondsAreForever

Re: Regarding Radiants
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:11:28 AM »
I do believe it's the magnification.  If you've ever looked at a radiant under a loupe, it's quite interesting.  You see different patterns as you bring the diamond up to the loupe. 

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
Not sure I understand what you mean. The faceting will produce an effect of "lines", and rectangular stones are often cut with a continuous edge NS and another one EW (effectively 4 main pavilion facets aligned), so you will see the stone as "cut into 4" when looking at it straight from the top.

There are normally visible patterns to an attentive observer in stones 0.50 ct and larger - clearly with a loupe (or a 4 ct stone) you will see them more easily!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
If you are talking about the N-S and E-W line, yes sometimes I can see them on my diamond and only from the top.  I cannot see them at the same time for some reason and they are no where near as pronounced as it is in the photos.  I think the photos are focusing in on a certain depth in a way our eyes can't. 

In general the patterning on my radiant isn't near as noticeable as it is in the photos which I personally like.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 02:07:14 PM »
Mine too, Squigs.  It's not a small stone, either.  You said it succinctly:  it depends on where the camera is focusing.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 03:16:50 PM »
I spent some time looking at my radiant more with some artificial light (been dreary here) and I can see the two lines at the same time only for a flash second if focusing.  It takes a lot of concentration to see it.  I actually do see some flashes of light/areas of big fire in a way that I didn't think I would from the photos though.

I love a radiants for this reason... they are so unique with their patterning/lack there of.  Really a cool cut to a stone that is like no other.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Debangel

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »
Squigs, what are the stats on your radiant, if you don't mind my asking?  I just started looking for the lines on mine, but the color is "Fancy Deep Brownish Yellow", and it's a .57 ct stone, so maybe not so obvious?  I'd look at it outside on my balcony in the bright sunshine, but there's 6" of stone on the ground, so I'll be sticking near my cup of cocoa ;)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »
Hot cocoa always sounds good to me.  I'll think I'll have some tonight after our soup and grilled sandwiches.  You can tell what kind of day it is here ;)

My radiant is .93ct Y-Z color and SI1 clarity.  I do know it's pretty easy to "look into" this stone.  I've actually spent a lot of time just looking at the cut/patterning just because I find it cool to look at ;D
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Debangel

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Brr!  Shall I pass you a cup?  ;)  I'm making triple-gingersnaps to go with (my own recipe), but I'm not sure if they'll fit in my scanner ;)

A bit off-topic..my "Fancy Deep Brownish Yellow" (SI1) *really* look quite olive-green to me- and to others as well!  Is the strong yellow fluorescence the culprit?  I would think that only blue fluor would do that.  Or can GIA be "subjective" on color, depending on who's doing the grading that day? I love it, since that's essentially my eye color too, but I wondered what could do that?

If it helps, under the UV light at the nail salon, it's Cheez Doodle orange, but at the one at the jewelry store at the mall (who steam cleans it while I browse and compare everything to DBL), it's a chalky yellow-green.  Literally like neon chalk.  Odd, no?

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »
This thread has got me really curious to look up close at a radiant. I don't actually have one - quite the oversight on my part. Hmmm. I should look into that...

In the meantime, I'd also like a gingersnap, please. ;)
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Here you go.

Or given that it's nearly Halloween you wanted one of these?

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
                      :rotflmao:               I love trick or treating!

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 04:32:14 PM »
HAHA.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »
Ok, two things here. One, I want  cookies, and two, the thing looking in that car window actually looks almost exactly like my dog.

She's a sweet, lovely dog, but she does not really look it. She looks like that. She's a deerhound cross (with God knows what, but I'm thinking werewolf right now...)

Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 06:05:26 PM »
Love it OMC!

Of course I would love some gingersnaps too!

We need to get Mrs M a radiant some how.  There's a pretty M colored radiant that isn't too expensive.  Could be pretty set in a bezel or something ;D

Yeah I am such the enabler.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »
The faceting will produce an effect of "lines", and rectangular stones are often cut with a continuous edge NS and another one EW (effectively 4 main pavilion facets aligned), so you will see the stone as "cut into 4" 

This is exactly what I mean, the cut into 4 appearance.

Squiggly, you say you see it sometimes. Is it when you are admiring your ring or if you just happen to glance at it or both?

Is it possible to have a radiant without the lines? I've been eyeballing a .58 deep brown yellow and thinking about the prospective qualities of a rough brown but I may be nitpicking this specific cut too much already without even seeing one live.  ::)

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 06:56:08 PM »
Love it OMC!

We need to get Mrs M a radiant some how.  There's a pretty M colored radiant that isn't too expensive.  Could be pretty set in a bezel or something ;D

Yeah I am such the enabler.

I think we all should have at least one of every shape/cut diamond!  I'm still in "need" of a princess cut,  trilliant cut and an Old Mine cut diamond...to mention a few.  I have managed to find a pretty little radiant yellow diamond from DBL and had that put into a pendent.  Radiants are amazing looking...sometimes I get so annoyed with myself for not putting it into a ring so I can look at it more often... :1087:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:57:15 PM by lovecolor »

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »
She's a sweet, lovely dog, but she does not really look it. She looks like that. She's a deerhound cross (with God knows what, but I'm thinking werewolf right now...)

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!  You crack me up Jen.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
The faceting will produce an effect of "lines", and rectangular stones are often cut with a continuous edge NS and another one EW (effectively 4 main pavilion facets aligned), so you will see the stone as "cut into 4" 

This is exactly what I mean, the cut into 4 appearance.

Squiggly, you say you see it sometimes. Is it when you are admiring your ring or if you just happen to glance at it or both?

Is it possible to have a radiant without the lines? I've been eyeballing a .58 deep brown yellow and thinking about the prospective qualities of a rough brown but I may be nitpicking this specific cut too much already without even seeing one live.  ::)

Hi all!

Actually- really nice "crushed ice" radiant cuts may not show the "quadrant look" as much.
When the ring is tilted, you might be able to see it ...but not from a normal viewing angle.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »
Dovesgate,  My radiant is R3733...it has the lines showing in the picture as you will see, and I was wondering if I'd be able to see it in person.   Not so, even while looping it, it's not apparent when looking at it from the top.  Only when I start to tilt it like David mentioned above, can you see any lines.  It has a beautiful pattern...IMO, and I get a lot of compliments on this stone.   

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »
Thanks lovecoor - that's the answer I was hoping for. :)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 08:55:27 PM »
I have to look at the ring hard to see the quadrant.  To see the E-W line it has to be at an angle and it is no where near as prominent as in the photos.  In short, I never can see the exact 4 at the same time in the same way as a photo. 

Today I really had to look to find the quadrant and even then I had artificial lighting going on.  I had never noticed it before but wanted to see if I could find it.  It took a while and a lot of squinting.

When Sunny was in the solitaire setting, I could see the quadrant line at extreme angles but now in a bezel it is much harder to see.

What I see in the photos is not what my eye sees at all.  In my opinion a well cut radiant is about the least "patterned" look of all diamonds I have seen.  A crushed ice look in a cushion is the same as well.  But compared to the X in a princess or the arrows in a round, my radiant has "no pattern" really at all.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 09:32:01 PM »
David, I do love the look of a crushed ice radiant. They have so much fire and life to them!

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 12:55:53 AM »
Finally at home so I can post to my hearts' content.

Squiggly, thank you very much for your info. It is also just what I wanted to know.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »
So, I just took out my radiant ring to examine the "quads" and all I could see was  :freakout: DIRT! I am so ashamed. Ms. Dirty Girl Radiant Ring is soaking now...