Author Topic: Key to Symbols: Chip ???? Huh-Wha?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline ElPasoSpoon

Key to Symbols: Chip ???? Huh-Wha?
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
Holas All!!!

I am curious ... has anyone ever seen this on a GIA Report???

VVS2, Potential

blah .. blah ... blah ....

Key to Symbols: Chip

Now, I understand the potential aspect, but I have never before seen the word "CHIP" in any other GIA report.  Furthermore, if that actually means there is a chip in the stone, how could it then be rated VVS2??

Me confoosid???   ???

Offline DiamondsAreForever

Re: Key to Symbols: Chip ???? Huh-Wha?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:44:32 AM »
There's probably a chip on the girdle - baby probably got whacked pretty good.  If I'm understanding what you've written, it has the POTENTIAL to be better if chip is removed (e.g., diamond re-cut).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:47:32 AM by DiamondsAreForever »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: Key to Symbols: Chip ???? Huh-Wha?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 06:58:27 PM »
Not uncommon. If the chip is small enough, it can easily be a VVS2. Bear in mind that "chip" just means a blemish where the surface of the diamond is not the natural surface but is the result of a loss of material - it can be absolutely tiny. It may not even be the result of a whack (and if the whack had been significant, it would not be a VVS2), but a by-product of cutting.

Re: potential to get better. Not necessarily. Is this the final report or an interim/progress update? If the latter, that "potential" means that the diamond is potentially IF or FL if the chip were polished/recut. Not necessarily worth it even if possible, because the loss of weight could be worth more than the improvement in clarity.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:59:35 PM by oldmancoyote »