Author Topic: I'm MELTING!  (Read 4730 times)

Offline GIAGirl

I'm MELTING!
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »

So...I looked around the forum but did not see anything concrete on the matter...

Sooo...here we go.

I had a two tone Rolex.  I have worn it everyday for about 15 years.  The last couple of weeks I have broken out in a nasty, NASTY rash that starts under the watch and moves up my arm until I do the cortisone cream and take benadryll. 

I have cleaned my watch really well and it starts all over again after I have worn it for a day. 

This isn't the DREADED GOLD/Nickle ALLERGY, is it?

What do I do?  Does Rhodium plating it work?  I am worried. 

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Re: I'm MELTING!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
Oh dear.

Professional cleaning, maybe? Could there be something nasty in the links, maybe a chemical of some sort, that works its way out when you're wearing it, but is wiped away from the surface when you give it a clean?

Also, if it's very hot where you are, could it be a heat rash where the watch is effectively blocking sweat glands, like prickly heat? I'd try another watch for a day or two, see what happens.

Failing that, it is possible to be come sensitised to something and end up with an allergic reaction. If it's nickel, rhodium plating can help.

I can't think of anything else to suggest. I really hope you can sort this, because a rolex is a lovely, lovely thing.
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:09:42 PM »
Thank you.  I have tried all of cleaning and the wiping.   I might try to wear my hubby's SS watch

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »
If you can bear to be without a watch (or do like DW does normally and wear it on her right wrist), I'd leave the sensitised wrist without anything rubbing or blocking it for quite a few days.

If it is nickel allergy, unfortunately it will crop up on the other wrist too pretty soon. If it isn't, leaving the skin to recover from a topical dermatitis for quite a few days will maximise chances of recovery/non-recurrence

Offline PtyMom

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »
I hope itīs not an allergy. I would do as OMC says.

Iīm allergic to nickel, and guess what, Iīm also allergic to rhodium.
Apparently it goes hand in hand because itīs the same case with my dad and also a close friend of mine...

But with me it didnīt crop up out of the blue, so thereīs hope for you yet  ;). I was sensitive to metals as a kid and then a  teen and the reactions just started getting increasingly worse over the years. These days I donīt try to wear anything other than 18k yellow gold or platinum. Even 14k yellow gold makes my skin turn purple. Iīm not even sure why that happens.

Have a nice day! :-)

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 11:04:07 PM »
Uggh...thank you everyone.  I was really hoping I could rhodium plate it and everything would be good to go. 
Guess I need a plat Rolex.   ;D

I will try everyone suggestions, one by one. 

Offline Sparkly-OCD

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 10:21:02 PM »
GG,

Sorry you are having this problem.  The use of cortisone cream and benadryl to clear the rash sounds like an allergic reaction.   As OMC recommended, giving the wrist a about a two week rest is really important because every time the skin is stimulated, it increase sensitivity.

After 15 years of enjoyment, could the watch have possibly worn in an area that is exposing your skin to a metal other than gold?

Unfortunately, I think you are going to need a platinum watch.  :(

Sparkly
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.  -Mark Twain