Author Topic: Feathers?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline FutureMrs

Feathers?
« on: July 24, 2011, 08:46:12 AM »
I was hoping to hear from anyone that have diamonds with a feather in it. I am very curious what a feather looks like in person? Obviously in magnified pictures you can see the imperfection, but what does it do to the appearance and sparkle of a diamond when you see it in normal unmagnified size? A good example is ring R4083. In the pictures it looks like a little blur or smudge, but I imagine it can't be very noticeable in person?

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: Feathers?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 09:49:48 AM »
A feather looks like a transparent crack - which is what it is. In some cases, there is some extraneous material "in" the crack, so it becomes greyish or blackish, or the fracture has a complicated shape and it really looks like a bird's feather. All this with a loupe.

As to what it does visually, "Nothing" is probably the closest - as long as size, position and colour of the stone cooperate a bit.

This is an I1 where the grade setting inclusion is a feather - you can see it at about 10 o'clock. I can assure you that it is totally invisible in person (I bought it a few months ago, and DW wears it often).

Here is a VS2 where the grade setting inclusion is also a feather. I can't see it in the photo, and I have great difficulty in finding it with a loupe, despite having a plot and the stone being E colour

And finally,  here is an emerald with a huge feather; it nearly crosses the whole stone, which is not uncommon (although dangerous) in emeralds. This is easy to spot with a loupe, but not all that easy to see with the naked eye, and you can see it in the photo as a veil in the stone going N-S. Some smaller feathers are also visible in the NW corner, and one goes at 90 degrees to the largest. BTW, this is a very clean stone for emerald standards.  ;) Apologies it's slightly out-of-focus, but I cannot get the camera to focus properly on this ring.

This is what it looks like on the hand (and even this image is about 2x larger than real life) - you can see the feathering in the corner (which is now SW, and turned by 90 degrees compared to the first image) as a place where the stone is lighter. This is about as bad as it gets IRL, and bear in mind here's it's a still image. If I were to post a video, this would last 1/20 of a second, and then it would blend in with the other reflections.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:01:24 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:16:32 PM »
Great answer OMC! ( although of course I have a slightly different take on this)

The word "crack" is simply not applicable in the case of most feathers- certainly those on Si and higher graded diamonds.

It's more like the grain of wood. Internal lines that are, in most cases, invisible.
But even though you may not be able to see them, all diamonds have grain lines.
Sometimes they are more visible- and we can see what looks like a feather.
R4083 is a great example.
The feather is camouflaged by the body color of the diamond ( the feather blends in)

In terms of durability, I've seen many cases where a diamond had been broken or chipped that contained a feather- more times than not the damage occurred elsewhere.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline FutureMrs

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »
Thank you!