Author Topic: perfume lovers help please  (Read 50365 times)

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Re: perfume lovers help please
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »
Mmm, yes. That one is nice. I also like Coco, although that seems to have been reformulated too. It's lost the rich, velvety depth it used to have. Again, the version we're left with is much better in parfum than EDP format.
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 06:21:03 PM »
You guys are great.  I have a definite list going to check out Nordstrom and Sephora as they have a fantastic selection.

Shalimar by Guerlain
Chanel No. 5 (and Elixir)
KenzoAmour
Lavanila (two of them)
Angel by Thierry Mugler
Allure by Chanel
Coco by Chanel

Funny is after I read about Allure I looked into Coco and the fragrance sounded very good too.

I would have added more to the list but this is what I can easily find in my neighborhood or can try before I buy.  Buying at Walgreens doesn't appeal to me because I hate buying w/o smelling.  I have a list of others to smell but based on the notes, I am not sure they'd go on well since they are similar to ones that make me sneeze.

After my week at home, I get tomorrow to go sample and try things out.  I'll let you know if it is an uber fail or not ;)
Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 09:15:28 AM »
Angel is a favourite of mine too. I like dark, complex scents with a lot of aldehyde and Angel or No5 deliver these, although the people who know about these things would disagree, since Angel is reputed to be an attempt at bottling "the scent of childhood." I firmly disagree, I think it's one of the more grown-up scents.

Actually, I think that's why I hate sweet perfumes, or anything that smells like food - those to me are quite childish scents and I can't reconcile them with a grown woman. I don't count vanilla as a 'food' scent, unless it goes along with fruit or sugary notes. Vanilla, fruit and sugar seem to be very popular perfume notes right now, and yet they used to be reserved for scents and body sprays targeted at young teens. I think there is a political / feminist rant in there, but I'll skip it for now... ;) Angel claims to have a lot of fruit in the middle notes, but I don't smell it as fruity, personally. Patchoulli and vanilla, with cocoa bean on the base notes are the things that stand out for me, although most perfumes fade to basenotes very quickly when i wear them.

For the ultimate grown-up lady perfume (which smells a little strange at first to a modern 'nose') have a go at Je Reviens Couture (not the cheap drugstore version, the real velvety rich couture deal).

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:08:24 AM by Mrs Mitchell »

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »
It's always interesting to try on scents because we all know that some scents turn funky on some than others... and our noses pick up different things.

Angel was fine in the bottle but on me all I smelled was the chocolate.  I didn't like that at all.  Over time it faded but the chocolate smell at first was almost gaggy on me.  The oil was totally different and I would use that one for sure.

KenzoAmour was sickeningly sweet and bleck on me.  I had to wash it off.

While there someone suggested Trih McEvoy's No. 9 (Blackberry & vanilla).  Great in the bottle, bad on me.  My husband didn't like it at all.

All the others made my nose itch in the bottle.  It's a rule if it twitches my nose in the bottle it's horrible on me.

Well except for one... Chanel No. 5

Again.  Now my husband laughs at me because this is *the* scent my mom loathed.  We even had a very smelly cat that my mom called Mr. Chan in honor of the perfume.

I feel the same as you with the vanilla.  It's totally fine if done right, but once you add a bunch of "foods" to it, I dislike it.  Far too sweet and yuck to me.  The Blackberry & Vanilla was a prime example of it IMO.  

I have a good supply of Chanel No. 5 that I will use this week just to double check.  It's funny though one of the ladies there said No. 5 reminds her of a grandmother.  She smelled it on me and said it smells wonderful and not at all like what she had on her granny.  I worry people will think this 30 something is wearing an old lady perfum but on me it is a more gentle floral with the warm velvety tones lingering as well.  Really it has all the scents I love.

I just hope my mom won't roll in her grave if I do wear it ;)

Shalimar was well received by my husband but I feel it is a bit rich for day to day wear so to speak.  I think I will get a parfum bottle some day and bring it out for special occasions.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:40:00 PM by clgwli »
Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 03:28:54 PM »
It's been an interesting trial and error journey! I did something similar a few years ago, felt like the elusive One was out there somewhere but I couldn't find it. It was No 5 for me, too.  ;)

If that's the one you go for, let me plead with you to find a bottle of vintage Parfum on ebay. Even if you don't wear it, just keep it to sniff occasionally. It's like modern No5 on steroids.  ;D

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
Provided this one wears well for the next week or so, I will definitely be looking for the real on ebay.  I only have a sampe of the eau de parfum, but I do like spraying for daily wear.  I'm happy to do full strength and the original at times too, I just have some spots I like to put perfume that a spray is easier.

I might ask my dad if he had the bottle I think my mom had or if she tossed it or not.  I think it was just EDT but who knows.  Would be fun to see if he or she kept it.

I do think I'll also look for Shalimar on ebay too for fun.  Again for more fun wear.

I've had fun looking and shocked that I keep going back to one that I've thought about getting in the past but resisted.

Right now a lot of places are having summer sales here so I'll just see if there is a good price on it or a nice "package" deal that they sometimes do.

Thanks to you all for talking it out with me and suggesting.  I admit I wouldn't have tried No. 5 again w/o you all talking about classics.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:19:19 PM by clgwli »
Squiggly

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 07:34:54 AM »
I am sure most of you are bored by now, but the Chanel No 5 lasted until this morning on my wrist.  Considering it wasn't a very big spray and I had a nearly 2 hour yoga work out yeterday, I'm pleased.

Unfortunately the sample that the lady gave me EDT and not EDP.  My fault since I didn't specify which and I am sure most buy EDT because it's cheaper.  Since there are no special  sales or gift sets, I think I am just going to Nordstrom since they are giving me double rewards points (translates to cash in the mail) for buying it there.  Hopefully today or tomorrow we can go.

Already looking on ebay to see what I can find there ;)
Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 11:16:55 AM »
Yeah, Chanel is never on sale. Well, very rarely. They don't supply many discount sellers, either. You generally pay full price or close to it. Still, it's lovely!

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
Every once in a while they have a nice gift set.  Right now there is one with a 1.7oz bottle, a small bottle of shower gel and lotion.  I'd use the lotion but not the shower gel so it doesn't make it a good deal.  If I would use all three it would be a great price.  But I might as well pay $10 more and just get a full 3.4oz bottle instead.

I don't mind paying extra for good stuff that's for sure ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:54:38 PM by clgwli »
Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »
send it to meeeeeee! I'd use it... ;D

Seriously, get the bigger bottle. It goes fast when you wear it every day.

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2011, 03:53:25 PM »
Well they were out of the gift set anyway so I went with the bigger bottle.  I'm about saving money and the price difference per ounce is pretty significant ($50/ounce vs $34/ounce). 

I made a mistake though, the lady gave me Chanel No 5 Eau Premeire.  No wonder it didn't last and smelled very light.  She was young and probably had no idea that there was a huge difference between the two.  I noticed this morning looking at the sample bottle it was very light in color so when I went to pick up the bottle I noticed the Eau Premeire was the same color as what I have at home.  Oh well.

I'm happy... I'll tell my husband eventually ;)
Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
Eau Premier smells very different to me. It smells like Johnsons Baby Shampoo to me (not an unpleasant smell by any means, but not classic No5). It's very light and very nice, but different.

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
We still use J&J Baby shampoo and that has a longer lasting scent than this one.  It smelled similar to me but very muted and way more powdery.  It did not last at all.  I didn't notice until this morning when I went to put it on.  I was like "huh?" but I didn't really care since we were out the door. 

It was light and nice but not want I want in a perfume.  I very  much dislike feeling like I have to reapply in the afternoon.  I feel like it is almost missing something but I am not sure what.  I' a happy camper now though. 

I did get some free samples of some Hanae Mori perfumes  They are nice and light.  Maybe I'll keep them for when I travel or something.
Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »
I put some vintage EDT and a dab of vintage parfum on at around 8am and it's 11pm here - I'm still smelling it. It does have staying power, at least in the vintage formulation. My modern EDP doesn't last quite so long, but it's still better than most.

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »
To me that's good staying power!  I really dislike it when at like 2pm the scent is totally gone.  I have already had a few listings marked to look into for the vintage stuff.  I would need something slightly cheaper at this point ;) but there were some good ones from estate sales that I'll watch.

As long as this stuff lasts somewhat until bedtime I'll be happy.  It's still going very strong for me but I did put it on at like 1pm and it's only 7:30 here.  The Eau Premeire was nearly gone by 1pm and I put that on at about 9am ::)
Squiggly

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 08:20:55 AM »
Yeah for finding something you think you'll love in a parfum!  I admittedly am not a No 5 girl myself, never have been.  My mother disliked it too and always said it smelled better on others than herself.  I can say the same thing, it just doesn't mesh with my body chemistry and smells 'sour' for lack of a better term-which is not what I'm going for :)  So, I am glad you can wear it!  Maybe as I get older I should re-visit it.  

One other question for you ladies...we live in an area that has quit drastic weather changes from one season to the next.  I have found that some of my scents smell heavenly in the warm months and just kind of ok (not bad, but not as great) in the cooler months.  Do most of you wear the same scent year round?  One in particular is the old formulation of Mitsouko parfum.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:22:03 AM by Diamondluvr »
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »
That's an interesting question and not least because I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday. Great minds!

My treasured flask of 1932 Je Reviens only gets used at Christmas and for winter parties. I've read so many times that this is a summer fragrance, but on my skin, it's horrible in warm weather.

I think the original 1920s formulas of the classics like Mitsouko and Shalimar are more temperamental. The top, mid and base notes aren't as 'blended' and the transition between them not as smooth as modern versions seem to achieve. This seems to mean that small variations in body chemistry, temperature and humidity make them behave in subtly different ways. It was one of the reasons some of them were reformulated over the years, to make them more stable (and to replace rare or plain illegal ingredients).

You don't get quite the same sublime fragrance from the new versions, but you do get more consistency, I think.

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »
My goodness, reading all this makes me ever so glad that I have, at best, an indifferent nose.  I know what I like or don't on my skin; but I sure can't identify the subtle changes due to temp and humidity changes.  Isn't it a bit miserable to be that sensitive to scents?
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »
Miserable, and yet somehow sublime! It's torture finding 'the one' but once you have it, you have it for life and there's always something new to find in it to enjoy.  ;)

Offline Debangel

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 04:28:40 PM »
BlooQat, be happy your nose isn't picky! (Pardon the pun!) I am a nanny as well as a mother of a small child, and let me tell you, the ability to smell Certain Things Before They Occur is not always pleasant :/ Although, when I was with my ex, the ability to smell an insulin reaction coming on was quite useful.

My favorite cologne story: picture it: northern NJ, fall of 1991. Everyone with a Y chromosome wore Drakkar Noir, or so it seemed. I met a very handsome young man at the college bookstore, and decided I would love to run into him again, but seemingly "accidentally". Believe it or not, I could actually discern how that cologne smelled different on him, and when I smelled it on the breeze a few days later, I tracked that cutie halfway across campus and up to the third floor of the Philosophy building. Voila', accidental meeting :)

And yes, I have a Roman nose, why do you ask??  ;D  Actually, I look just like a Greek statue, except with arms. Nice to know that the schnoz is actually worth something!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:52:41 PM by Mrs Mitchell »

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »
You know I don't always notice how scents differ on me.  I'll be sure to make note of that.  I have a bad time of jumping from one scent to the next because I don't test them well enough at first so that in the end I dislike them or don't love them enough.

I'll let you know what I find with seasons as time goes on.  I tend to like the same scents all year but we'll see how my body reacts to things.

My husband wore Drakkar in college and to this day I still love it. 

I hate having a sensitive nose sometimes.  I'm hyper sensitive to smells, lights and sounds.  It can be great for cooking, but it can be awful.  It actually makes finding wearable perfumes horrible for me.  Many have scents that literally make me sneeze or get a headache.  I dislike it for that reason.  I can't just wear "anything" which kind of stinks.  I also can't appreciate bath and body works stuff because it is far too overpowering to even walk in the store.
Squiggly

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »
Although, when I was with my ex, the ability to smell an insulin reaction coming on was quite useful.

Now, that's quite a feat.  I know there are service animals that can sense when epileptics are going to seize.  But I've never heard of a person being that sensitive.  If I may ask, what was different about his smell that you could sense?  I'm very curious.  It's the scientist in me.

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »
Another question-I have been wanting to try the old formula GUERLAIN L'HEURE BLEUE parfum and was wondering before I spend the money on it if any one here has tried it and what their take on it was? Thanks  :D

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:50:06 PM by Diamondluvr »

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 03:30:07 PM »
Was also going to ask about anyone's thoughts on Caron Nuit De Noel old formulation parfum, as it has been on my "TRY" list?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:30:26 PM by Diamondluvr »

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2011, 03:46:26 PM »
I've never tried the Guerlain, but I LOVE that Caron fragrance. It's rich and woody and lovely. I didn't know it had been re-formulated though. My bottle is old (it was my Grandmother's) so I'll assume it has oakmoss in it.