Author Topic: perfume lovers help please  (Read 50363 times)

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
perfume lovers help please
« on: July 13, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
I admit I haven't always been much of a real perfume wearer.  I have sensitive smells and a lot of the overly florals or super "spicy" make me sneeze or have a headache.

I used to wear some just plain vanilla scents as that is my husband's favorite smell.  I also wore DK Cashmere Mist for a few years but I don't think it had a staying power.  Plus it had more of a chemical smell after a while.  I wasn't sure if going to the EDP would make a difference or not.  Does it really?  Or is there more to the EDP vs ETP out there?  My online reading doesn't seem to get into it other than they are different concentrations.  It doesn't seem to say if it is less spray needed to get the scent or if it will stay longer.

Leading to the other question.  A friend of mine had My Insolence by Guerlain and I really like how it smells.  Again the staying power isn't very good.  I love how it is though.  While looking at Sephora online to see if they had an EDP version to try or not, they suggested trying a classic Shalimar.  I did today while running errands and I admit I like it a lot.  Though I do worry that people will smell "old lady" on me ;)

I'm more of the warm vanilla lover and this fits the bill.  So the question is, before I splunk down money on this perfume, do you have any other suggestions as to try?  I went to Sephora last week and they really weren't much help.  I know a few of you are into perfumes and might have something more to suggest.
Squiggly

Offline Debangel

Re: perfume lovers help please
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:32:01 PM »
OMG!  We're twins!  LOL I have a nose like a bloodhound (I discovered when I was with my ex that I can apparently smell insulin reactions, and wake up out of a sound sleep to sound the alarm), and "regular" perfumes bother me, too.  Vanilla and lavender are just about the only things I wear!  For my money, The Body Shop's vanilla is the warmest, yummiest smell.  Runner-up is Avon's Warm Vanilla Sugar (don't quote me on the exact name, but that's the jist).

What I do with lavender is put a couple of drops of the "neat" oil into a fingertip sprayer, add warm water, and use as a spray to refresh my hair between washings (it's ridiculously curly, and water resets the curl).  Lavender also goes amazingly well with vanilla :)

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »
Sensitive noses are good and bad.  Bad when pregnant LOL but good when you can smell a gas leak before others can.

I used to do Vanilla from B&BW.  Sadly the Warm Vanilla Sugar is just too sweet.  I do use the Lemon Vanilla that was from the summer line last year.  I like that one a lot but it, again, has zero staying power.

I do okay with a very very very gentle florals.  At least blended in nicely with other scents (especially vanilla, musk, sandalwood etc).  I'm a really "woody" or "oriental" gal I think.  

I don't mind body sprays but I want a nice perfume that will last.  Body sprays are good when I want light but I think I am looking for something that will stay the day.

I did try Flowerbomb and while at first I liked it, the spice was too much at the end of the day.  

Someone suggested two Kenzo perfumes... Flower and Amour.  I need to try to find them in person to test.  Though for $25 I could get a small bottle to trial run.  I don't mind the idea of Shalimar, but I don't want to spend $100 until I know for sure there isn't anything better.  I have far too many 1/5 used bottles of perfume to want to do that again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:48:48 PM by clgwli »
Squiggly

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »
Have you tried Lavanila?  I love the Vanilla Grapefruit and the Vanilla Blossom :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:07:04 PM by Diamondluvr »
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
No I haven't.... I just put a couple of those on my short list.
Squiggly

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:22:31 PM »
I love both scents and always get tons of compliments when I wear them.  I am also sensitive to scents in general, but these seem to work well for me and are long lasting.  I will look at the others that I wear on a regular basis and see which of those I would suggest-I do tend to lean towards 'warm' scents though.

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:27:02 PM »
Victoria's Secret Amber Romance I like for it's staying power and it's inexpensive.  Burberry London perfume is another on the top of my regular wear list.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:27:38 PM by Diamondluvr »

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »
Gio De Giorgio Armani
Fracas by Robert Piguet
Armani Code
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:31:50 PM by Diamondluvr »

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
Thank you so much!  I am about to go to sleep so I will look these up tomorrow.

I don't really get bothered by a price on perfume in general, except that I have a tendency to buy the 1.7oz ish size and that can get costly when you only wear it a few times.  I do appreciate sephora in that they will give out samples for perfumes so I can try it more than once.  Nordstrom will do that too.

I plan to look up perfumes and check out Sephora and Nordstrom if need be to see what I initially like enough to get a sample of. 

I don't know why I just want a scent for me.  Sounds crazy but when my son smells it I want him to feel comfort and think of me.  Then I would like a few more that make me feel good when I put them on.  So far what I've worn just hasn't done "it" for me yet.

I'm defnitely drawn to warm or oriental or wood types.  I think they compliment me better for some reason.

Shalimar was definitely loved by the hubby though.  That's important to me as well.  He liked my insolence but it rubbed off quickly and he couldn't smell it a few hours later.
Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 07:21:09 AM »
Shalimar is just the most classic of classic perfumes. I don't think it's old lady, it's just from a bygone era and for me, that is its charm.

It has an elegance and a depth of complexity that you won't find in many modern perfumes. It has those wonderful lush vanilla notes without my personal bete noir if fragrance, sweetness.

Finding The One can be a lifetime's quest. Sometimes you end up going back to something you rejected initially, too. If you like those deep, complex notes  then keep investigating the classics - go back to the 1920s and work forward. Start with Chanel 5 (in parfum, not EDP or EDT, they just don't smell right to me) or try No5 Sensual Elixir. It seems to present all the notes at once, rather than have the mid and base notes develop over time.

However, if you need something a little more unique and authentic, as well as just finer and better, can I suggest tracking down some of the original formulas of modern favourites.  Shalimar today is a pale ghost of its glorious self. It's like looking at a black and white copy of the original colour photo, I think. Original  Shalimar (or even better, original Mitsouko) and Chanel 5 can be had on ebay, but they're getting rarer. I wear No5 Elixir or modern EDP day to day, and treat myself to some of my cherished supply of the Real Stuff.

Good luck finding The One.  ;)
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 07:58:16 AM »
I agree with MM-I wear different perfume on a day to day basis and then bring out the others for special occasion.  Over the years(I have been a perfume lover since I was young-I blame it on my mother!) I have noticed a huge change in formulation of some of my favorites and they just aren't the same as they once were, which is such a bummer when it is one I loved.

Other day to day perfumes: Casmir by Chopard, Narcisse by Chloe, Dior Poison---the Narcisse has to be the full strength perfume or it just doesn't smell right, but it is getting hard for me to find!  

I'll keep looking through my stash..........    
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:00:55 AM by Diamondluvr »

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 08:01:05 AM »
Am I the only one here who wears men's scents? I don't know why but I love to use men's body wash and on occasion men's cologne. I love the smell and it reminds me of........... Men  >:D
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 09:08:19 AM »
Oh, and if you like something un-girly, the Caron fragrances might interest you. Tabac Blonde is the classic, if you can track it down.

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 09:18:45 AM »
Thank you guys so much!

For some reason I am having issues finding the Armani perfumes locally (store locators here are not showing it)  And the only Gio I seem to find is the Aqua version of it.  Not sure that is my style based on the reviews but I am happy to smell.

Some perfumes immediately I can tell I will dislike.  If they  make my nose twitch in the bottle I never like them on.  So at least with those I can test them without having to really smell them. 

I did try the EDP version of Chanel No 5 years ago and it really wasn't bad.  I haven't tried the parfum version yet.  Oddly that was one scent my mother hated.  I smelled it once to see what was so bad about it and I didn't dislike it.

Fracas by Robert Piguet is similar in notes to types I haven't liked, but I will always smell just in case.

I will look up the ones you listed Diamondluvr as well as the Caron fragrances too. 

I woke up this morning to see what smells I still had on me.  On the wrist I had put My Insolence and the scent was gone.  I had tried out the EDP version of Cashmere Mist on an ankle and it was gone too.

Shalimar remained on my forearm and still smelled absolutely lovely to me. 

yes I put three perfumes on yesterday but it was after I got home for the day so no one but me smelled them.  It was a test run to see which lasted and to test them all at the same time. 

I was surprised even with the EDP version of Shalimar how well it stayed.  I would love to smell the original Shalimar if I loved the EDP 20 hours later.

For some reason I don't like changing perfumes out daily as much, though I do like having certain ones as go tos for special occasions.  I literally dumped 4 that I had and decided I hated after all.  At least I am learning to wait a day or two to buy something to make sure I do like it because the tones change after time.  A lot of them change for the worse after a time ;)
Squiggly

Offline Debangel

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 09:44:55 AM »
I can't believe I missed a lemon-vanilla combo!  Yum.  I haven't worn "real" perfume in years (two SO's in a row hated the stuff), but I remember the original Shalimar and it was scrumptious.  Burberry's sounds like one I'd like to try, too.  I like some florals, but mostly I think they smell nice on other people!

Squigs, I don't suppose you live close enough to go shopping??  Our kids are even almost the same age, and I have a double stroller ;)

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »
I don't think I live near anyone on this forum that I know of.  I'm in the lovely state of Ohio.  Well sometimes lovely. 

I bought the lemon vanilla last year and it seems they don't make it anymore.  They do make sensual amber which wasn't bad.  Like I said these aren't bad, but they just don't last.
Squiggly

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 12:02:45 PM »
No, not the Gio Aqua that is not my style either!

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
Oooo one more of my favs is Givenchy Organza,  full perfume version though---yum!

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 01:59:17 PM »
Ok-so I am beginning to feel as if I have a perfume collecting problem  ;)

The original formulation of Givenchy Ysatis full perfume I love and Tocca Florence is a good woody floral!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:01:16 PM by Diamondluvr »

Offline Debangel

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »
Squigs, if you ever want to visit CO/gasp for air while climbing stairs, c'mon down ;)

I'm just imagining the damage this group could do in a duty-free shop  ;D

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 02:53:20 PM »
Ok-so I am beginning to feel as if I have a perfume collecting problem  ;)

The original formulation of Givenchy Ysatis full perfume I love and Tocca Florence is a good woody floral!

I have one too. Slightly different - I'm just snapping up a lifetime's supply of old formulation No5 Parfum at the rate of one or two bottles a month until I have enough to last me into my 90s.  ;D

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 06:35:16 PM »
I love Quelques Fleurs L`original by Houbigant but it`s more and more difficult to find. It`s an old perfume, in fact I first fell in love with it when my Mother was given a bottle as a gift about 40 years ago. She didn`t like it but I loved it and the concentrated perfume now costs around 199 for a tiny bottle.
I recently bought it an EDP spray which is nice but the real perfume will always be the one I`ll covet.
I think so many of the " old " favourites have been revamped because of the extortionate prices of the natural essences and oils they once used and these have been replaced with synthetic ones to make it more affordable, also to give it a longer shelf life.
I recall the original Ysatis which I wore regularly throughout my 20`s and 30`s but its now a shadow of its former shelf. Shalimar was lovely too and Mitsouko.
I was allergic to Chanel no5 so it was a perfume I never wore. My Mother loved Soir de Paris and Je Reviens and I have an evening bag which belonged to her and to this day when I open it I can still smell her perfume inside it, she always kept a tiny bottle of Soir de Paris inside her bags. There`s no way you`d find a perfume today which would still linger after 25 years which is how long it is since she passed away.
A sad sign of the times I think.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:36:48 PM by Awestruck »
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »
You guys are awesome!  I will definitely look into all the last ones listed.  I am on my tablet so i am not really on a machine to take notes with.

Awestruck my heart goes out to you with that.  with my mom her scent was roses - natural roses and everytime I smell a good one I think of her.

I do want something with staying power and I wouldn't mind using an EDP for daily wear and keep a parfum for ore special occasions. 

I hope to go out on Saturday and see what is out there.  I am keeping a list of "must tries" as well as ones to just see.  I have two perfumes in addition to the body  sprays I use dailly so I can take my time to test.  Right now I have my Cashmere Mist and an old Avon perfume alled Far Away.  Both are decent, but not perfect.
Squiggly

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »
Squigs, if you ever want to visit CO/gasp for air while climbing stairs, c'mon down ;)

I'm just imagining the damage this group could do in a duty-free shop  ;D
Probably a ton of damage ;)
Squiggly

Offline PtyMom

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 02:55:26 PM »
How about Allure by Chanel?

Im also into vainilla and nothing too strong or sweet and this one did it for me. it has staying power and for some reason I get compliments on it every time I wear it....

Have a nice day! :-)