Author Topic: Wedding dress help for ::coughcough:: "mature" bride??  (Read 29726 times)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Re: Wedding dress help for ::coughcough:: "mature" bride??
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »
What a beautiful gown.  It's simply elegant.

I so agree!  It is very much my style that I would love.

Looking at dresses has me realizing I really want to do a vow renewal for me in a gown like one of these. Is that wrong of me to want this a decade later?

I also agree that you need to try everything on!  I think with your height and size you could look amazing in some very fitted gowns.  I wish I lived near you so I could go shopping!  I so love shopping with friends for gowns!
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
That's our Awestruck!  :hugging:  Always has excellent taste.  I liked the back, as well.  It's a dreamy gown.  Was that one of your favs on the second go-round, Lynne? 

If I were as tall as you, Deb, I'd be tempted to try on that red trumpet shaped gown with a white bolero edged in white 'fur' or feathers, or a white cape edged the same way.  Hellllooooo Mrs. Claus!  (only GG would bring one like that to the table - she's one of a kind and I kinda wish we lived in visiting distance.)  :iroc:

And just to shock the families...think black fishnet hose with over-the-ankle boots and kickass stilleto heels.    erm.  sorry. I get a little twisted every so often.  It's just, well, as a mature bride, you really don't have to follow any of the rules you don't want to.  Emily Post will not roll over in her grave, no matter what your Mama says.

See?  Mature isn't so bad.  Come to think of it - I take back the Emily Post comment.  You're still too young to join a Red Hat club, even as a Pink hat.  Listen to your Mama, youngster!

Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Debangel

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »
::sniff:: You guys are the best!  I'm waiting for the official "ensparkle-ation", as we're calling it, and then putting pedal to the metal and hightailing it to the dress shops :)

Qat, I've never been to Reno!  James and I love to drive, too.  Now if only we had little ones that loved to sit in the back and QUIET, I DON'T CARE WHO'S TOUCHING WHO, DON'T MAKE ME TURN THIS CAR AROUND...you get the picture ;)  I don't suppose there are any good dress shops in SLC ;)  Thanks for the tip of trying on a mermaid dress, though- that's the last style I would be inclined to try on, normally, but I have found that sometimes what you least expect to look good on you, looks terrific!  (The opposite of that is, "What do you mean, it looks good "on"?  On what, on fire?  =)

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
Reno is a hideous little town that should be scrubbed from the face of the earth, much like Sodom or Gomorrah.  I only go there because it's the nearest airport, about an hour away.  Other than that, its only other redeeming aspect is a mall or two.  But I haven't been to such a thing in almost 3 years.   

Lake Tahoe, on the other hand, is only 20 minutes away.  THAT's worth visiting and stuffing socks in small mouths and duck taping small hands and feet together in order to arrive with relative sanity.   >:D They don't call me the Nevil Stepmonster for nothing!

What's SLC? Salt Lake City - like meet in the middle?  Dunno offhand, but check your fav designers.  Most of their websites will give all their locations; or search by designer name - that way you will find houses that carry several lines like Sottero or St. Pucchi.  I haven't done much research on Mori Lee.  Like that gown, tho.

We'll be waiting with baited breath for the Official Ensparkle-ation and initial photos - please do not photoshop out any tears or odd things that might be seen. :-*

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2011, 10:42:32 PM »
Debangel, I think you will beautiful in anything you pick....I only brought out the red dresses because Deb said she liked the idea....I like it too....I will keep looking. 

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
GG, I lurve that you think outside the box; it gives us all a new perspective.  Besides, a red dress is much easier to find than a red cape or jacket.  That would be sooo cool for the Christmas party after the ceremony - hence the idea for black booties.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »
I love the fishnets and black stiletto booties idea!

My new sister in law got her dress from udreamybridal.com
You put in all your measurements so it's custom, they did free shipping, and she had a gorgeous dress that looked high end designer for... $100.

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2011, 06:46:43 AM »
Tried to look up that website - couldn't find it.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2011, 06:51:44 AM »
Looks like the website is now defunct. :(

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »
I bet if you looked up brand name gown for cheap, you'd find similar sites to the one that doesn't work.  I know some friends who have used them.  Most with great luck, others with alterable mistakes.

The negative usually is that they are made in places like China or Taiwan in kind of sweatshop conditions.  I unknowingly bought a hoop skirt from a place like that in the US (they get their goods from China) and the quality was just okay.

The bonus is that if you don't plan to wear the dress again you can save a ton!

Debangel I totally hear you on the last style you'd think to try is sometimes the best.  Really with your height though you could wear most styles and have them look fabulous!!
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
                  ???

Offline Debangel

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2011, 10:08:51 PM »
As long as it doesn't rain and no one steps on your dress, these look pretty nice.
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/toilet-paper-wedding-dress-contest-winners-12-bridal-gowns-you-could-buy-with-a-coupon-2508828/#photoViewer=1

Perfect for blotting away the tears, too!  LOL

(Also, omg, HOW am I supposed to plan this on a shoestring in 4.5 months?)

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2011, 11:38:41 PM »
All those dresses were less than $250 of TP.  We can do it!!!!!   ;D

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »
Oh, Debangel! I wish you were still on a Christmas wedding!  Silk&Sable opened up a liquidation center for last year's styles at prices you wouldn't believe! Yeah, it's fake fur; but beautifully made stuff at unbelievable prices - like 45 for a full length white 'mink' coat or 25 for a bolero or jacket. Of course, I thought of you!  We could have found something so cool for you!  I'm itching to buy a 'shirred beaver' car coat with a 'mink' lined hood!  But no place to wear such a thing!  Maybe they'll still be open when you're setting dates!  Sigh!

Offline Debangel

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
No way!!  Well, given how it snows here until May, and the mountains always have snow on them, maybe I should take a look anyway?  If it doesn't happen by spring we may wait till next Christmas, but who knows?  Send me a link! (P.S. You are super-sweet to remember!)

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
I got my Dsd a white 'mink' bolero.  I didnt take pix the full length coats. This sale only happens once every 3 years. I'll post it whenIget home.  'cause if youwant somewhat, Ineed to get itAsap. I went backto get a shirted beaver carcoat with a mink lined hood and the damned thing disappeared inside of 30Minutes. Bummer

They have a nice white curly lamb jacket, too, if mink isn't your style LOL
Did I mention its all WASHABLE??!

Oh yeah. These are all discontinued styles. Lookup silkandsable.com.  Butnothing there is in the temp store here.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:02:55 PM by ah2bqat »

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »
Oh, Debangel! I wish you were still on a Christmas wedding!  Silk&Sable opened up a liquidation center for last year's styles at prices you wouldn't believe! Yeah, it's fake fur; but beautifully made stuff at unbelievable prices - like 45 for a full length white 'mink' coat or 25 for a bolero or jacket. Of course, I thought of you!  We could have found something so cool for you!  I'm itching to buy a 'shirred beaver' car coat with a 'mink' lined hood!  But no place to wear such a thing!  Maybe they'll still be open when you're setting dates!  Sigh!

wow, that's incredible!  I'd FIND places to wear it!  now I have to stalk ANOTHER website-lol.

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »
pIX OF THE jACKETS.

tHIS  is one i got my DSD for Christmas.

Black version of the same bolero

Lambs wool jacket

Offline Debangel

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
Those are ADORABLE!!

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »
Not being a size 2 anymore, the longer white 'mink' appeals to me.  Still, at $25 a pop, what's  to lose?  Be glad to get one for you on spec, being a size 10, now.  And if you don't like it???  Too bad, so sad I get a really cool jacket that will fit pretty well.   >:D   

PS.  I have 'dangerous' hips, too!   ;D

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2011, 10:11:57 PM »
where are they $25 a pop?  I needs to know!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2011, 10:16:13 PM »

Oh my goodness for that price I would buy it and wear it at home!  I always get so darn cold in the winter.  I wouldn't need a place to wear it honestly  LOL

the "beaver" parka with hood would be my ideal.  Sigh wish I could see the sale because I know I'd walk out with something.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »
Me too!  A full length mink for me and I'd pretend I was an Edward Gorey character.  I already have pearls!  I've thought this through wayyyyyyy too much.

I'm the one in the middle.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:28:53 PM by firegypsy »

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2011, 03:15:10 PM »
I do have to admit to buying a 'leopard' headband and a black  'mink' hat and muff. 

But the throws and pillows! OMG, just to die for, and priced like the coats!  It's a shame I'm afraid my furry ones would destroy such a thing.  Besides, a white one would lose Stitch, and a black one would lose BB.  And the leopard spotted one would remind me of Adamma.

I do have to admit to dreams of a full length mink on skis, complete with pearls; but doubt my current level of skiing would stand up to the image.  LOL