Author Topic: Wedding dress help for ::coughcough:: "mature" bride??  (Read 29725 times)

Offline cherrypie

Re: Wedding dress help for ::coughcough:: "mature" bride??
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 12:33:06 AM »
Loving the red wedding dresses.  You've got to have a bit of red if it's a Christmas wedding!

Carol   8)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 07:04:53 AM »
Just a real quick thought as someone with a tiny ribcage (band size is 32 here) but larger chest (not gonna say but let's just say I have to special order most bras unless I go to a specialty store)... go with a corset back where you can have cups sewn in.  I had a formal like that and it was about the only formal that was strapless I could wear and be comfortable in.  You can always add straps/sleeves to things like that but the important part is to get a corset back.

Sweetheart neckline to show off cleavage w/o being over the top

Personally I would have it fitted to the top of your hip and then be a slightly fluffier a-line or tiny ball gown.  Show off the goods, yet look modest.

I don't know your wedding budget but one of my favorite brands for corset backs is Maggie Sottero.  The cool thing is they have a lot of gowns in silver, gold, champagne etc so if you don't want white they have lots of options.  Davids Bridal had a few similar ones as well last time I looked with a friend.  I really dislike that store though.  I got a bridesmaid dress there once and I got so fed up with them that I promised not to return again.  Took my alterations elsewhere.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 10:32:07 AM »
Love Maggie Sottero, St. Pucchi, too.  But ouch!

I'm in your court on this, Squigs. Tall, slender torso with big boobs, and dangerous hips.  Corset back, with a bit of a ball gown look would work very well, Debangel.

Might want to check out Alfred Angelo, too.  They do lots of gowns with colored accents.  like these:
https://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/productdisplay.aspx?productID=2039e191-e45b-4b44-bba1-6a2ac07f9712&categoryID=32e5a88c-cbf1-498f-afcf-dbfca138c5d3&pg=0&colorId1=
https://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/productdisplay.aspx?productID=4c5bde25-163e-4c41-ab90-a1fc843a2373&categoryID=32e5a88c-cbf1-498f-afcf-dbfca138c5d3&pg=0&colorId1=

If I ever get to use it  ::) , I bought my gown from here.  One of the things I liked is that you can match your accent colors to your bridesmaids.  In turn, they have some freedom in styles to choose from.  My matron of honor is currently 60, and my youngest maid just turned 17.  They also use the same colors for waistcoats, ties, hankies for the guys.  Talk about making life a little simpler!

I was afraid of getting a gown from the preowned site.  Unless you can go to a bridal shop and try on a few of the same designer's gowns, it's almost impossible to get a feel for what size you need.  I wear an 8 dress, and had to buy a size 14 gown.  Ick... not my happiest day.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:33:30 AM by ah2bqat »
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
Admittedly I have been looking at wedding dresses lately for me.  Me getting married?  Nope, but when I was married I weighed 170 pounds and now I weigh 115.  I hated myself back then, so since hubby and I have considered doing a vow renewal so I can really do my dream everything, I was starting to look to get an idea.

I really hated how I looked then and don't have photos of our wedding posted because of it :(

I don't know if it will happen or if I will just buy a lovely gown and wear it out for special occasions or not.

St. Pucchi is amazing as well.  I think I remember Maggie being more reasonably priced ($600-1200 for the more simple gowns though up to like $3K for the flashy ones).  Alfred Angelo is lovely and who my mom wore at her wedding.

One bonus to David's Bridal (other than price) though is you can try on gowns in YOUR size which is a huge bonus.

Here are a few I love
http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Organza-Draped-Pick-up-with-Beaded-Lace-Empire-L9479

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Satin-and-tulle-assymetrical-pick-up-gown-T9669

I've tried on formals similar to this and I love the way they look on me.  I am short but I do have as lightly longer than average torso for my height.  Add 5" heels and you wouldn't have a clue that I am not a huge shorty LOL

Here is one I haven't tried but think I would like to see the style of
http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Satin-Bodice-with-Organza-Skirt-and-Beading-CT258

The first one I listed though is my favorite.  I am considering going back to look and talk to them about what happened the last time I went there as a bridesmaid.  They sold my name to countless people and I was getting calls many times a day which was annoying as I had a newborn at the time.  I know it was them because they flipped my first and last name.  My last name is similar but different to a common girl's name and they put that in instead of the correct spelling, so I kept getting calls for WrongSpellingLastname Squiggly (well you can follow).  It bugged me BIG TIME and I complained three times before the calls stopped.

I'm not a bride and wasn't then so I don't want to be treated quite like one getting calls about honeymoons and all that jazz LOL.

So that's why I am kind of annoyed with them, but if I get a good apology I can't turn up their prices ;)

If I don't get them, I might go for a fitted maxi dress in a floral pattern maybe similar to this http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/bcbgmaxazria-strapless-silk-gown/2952170?origin=category&resultback=466
I could wear that more often and have it our "anniversary" gown.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »
Hi there
For a start I wouldn`t call you a mature bride !
I marry in 9 weeks time, my H2B is 60 just a couple of months after the wedding and I`m not far behind him ...... now THAT`S a mature bride lol
For sure it`s lovely to look at dresses but until you try them on you`ll simply confuse yourself. It`s funny how you see dress styles online and think oh no that`s not for me and then when you try them on, they look altogether different.
I went shopping for an empire line with sleeves or straps, in satin, not white or ivory and without a train. I chose a strapless, in chiffon, in ivory and with a train. My first dress was actually Midnight blue but there`s a long winded reason for my changing it at the last minute.
So I`d say discount nothing, get yourself out and about to try on styles, colours, fabrics etc and keep an open mind. Half the fun is surprising yourself how good you`ll look in something you wouldn`t normally look twice at and how disappointing some dresses you think look wonderful on the hanger, actually look when you try them on.
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »
Debangel, just wanted to say that not only are you a "mature" bride...but you aren't "in need" to lose anymore weight!  At 5'8" and 155lbs,  I bet you're stunning!   :-*

Offline Debangel

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
Debangel, just wanted to say that not only are you a "mature" bride...but you aren't "in need" to lose anymore weight!  At 5'8" and 155lbs,  I bet you're stunning!   :-*

Awww! You are going to give me a big head, and then my imaginary tiara won't fit! (BTW, I don't remember who to thank for posting that $90K Greek Bandeau tiara, but thanks! A pantsload. Am now heartbroken to not have spare 90,000 clams. It's perfect!! Now must borrow either platinum American Express, or all-black outfit and soft rubber-heeled shoes. And night-vision goggles.)

I will spare you all the glowing comments that James just made on this last post, praising my, uhh, endowments, because he makes my friends and family simultanously "awwww" and make gagging noises ;) I'll stick with quoting his last line "and Heaven's own head of curls".  Yeah, I know, I just ate, too. LOL They don't make 'em sweeter than him :)

Speaking of angels, though, thanks for the Alfred Angelo links! We share a surname so I sort of have a soft spot for him! I am loving all of the suggestions, and it's especially helpful to know that a size 8 street dress (by which I mean "regular" dress, not like the streetwalker kind...) can end up as a 14 in a wedding dress! I wear between an 8 and a 10 in dresses, and I would probably have burst into very unattractive tears if I ended up in a 14! (I got up to an 18W, back in 2006, and though I have seen many women rock that look, I was NOT among them. So I have a little fear associated with double digits! Also, I live in Boulder county, where a size 10=obese. Tough act to follow!)

Oh, and from now on, I will be referring to my hips as "dangerous". Heh heh.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 03:57:29 PM »
I second, third, and fourth going to try dresses on in person. Just call your local salon and set an appt and go crazy. Don't be afraid to try on things you don't feel would flatter you.

Like Awestruck, I went in looking for sleeves, simple, white or ivory, gentle a-line and walked out with a spaghetti strap (or strapless if I had wanted), full length ballgown looking gown with embroidery and beads. What I thought would look decent

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »
Was all wrong.

Sorry fir the cut off post - my iPhone has a mindnof it's own sometimes lol

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 06:07:37 PM »
I have to thank you guys for mentioning Alfred Angelo too... I just noticed all the dresses there were gorgeous and many do the lace up style back!  It's been a while since I've looked at their items (like over 10 years ago when I got married).

Btw I totally agree that you are neither a "mature" bride nor would you have to lose any weight!!!!  Your size sounds perfect for your height to me (and as a 5' tall person I am jealous of the height LOL)
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
Deb.

My wife owned an upscale women's clothing boutique for over thirteen years when she sold it and joined me in my business...she was extremely successful at it.

One of the things she did was dress women according to their body type and NOT their dress side. DW knew her lines very well and could size someone up in a matter of seconds. Her biggest beef was that women tended to stick to the size they thought they were and never deviated. They didn't take into account that certain lines run smaller than others...and that clothes that look too tight make you look heavier than you really are. She also said that sometimes a piece will look like a dog on the hanger (absolutely no hanger appeal) but look fabulous on.

So..what I'm saying is that I'm with the others re: this.  "Don't be afraid to try on things you don't feel would flatter you"--you might surprise yourself. I learned alot from my wife in this respect.

Also...you WILL look fabulous...THAT'S A GIVEN. Enjoy the process.

djm

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:27:36 PM by djm195 »

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
I love those!  You need to try on dresses.  You will be so suprised what looks good and what doesn't

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:24:01 PM by GIAGirl »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »
You've been on Nordstrom's site haven't you?  I recognize that "Duchess" dress ;D

I actually found one I love on Alfred Angelo site... wonder if I could get a vow renewal planned LOL

http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/styles/1136
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Mikla

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2011, 11:12:09 PM »
You've been on Nordstrom's site haven't you?  I recognize that "Duchess" dress ;D

I actually found one I love on Alfred Angelo site... wonder if I could get a vow renewal planned LOL

http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/styles/1136
I think they have the most in one place!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 07:42:35 AM »
I am a Nordstrom addict in a way.  I really love shopping there and seeing what they have.  I just wish mine had a bridal shop because that would make it even better. 
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:17 PM »
Mori Lee actually do a dress called Snowflake. Seemingly it has snowflake crystals on the hip and also cascading down the back of the train. I`ll post the pic and the write up about it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
“Snowflake” is made from the finest delicate chiffon making it very light to wear – ideal as a destination gown aswell. A slight sweetheart neckline with beaded diamante detail matching the cluster of beads on waist, makes this gown very flattering, especially to those of us wanting to hide any lumps and bumps! The cluster of beads is mirrored in the design onto the back of the gown before falling like snowflakes onto the train.

Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »
The snowflake dress is style no 4609 and retails on best bridal prices. com for $716 and is in size 2 -26. There`s also a photograph of the rear of the dress and you can magnify it to see the crystals

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
Jeez, Deb.  I was thinking Boulder and Reno aren't that far apart, but boy was i wrong!  Granted, it's only a thousand miles, but two nasty mountain ranges are between us, and I hate to drive.  Otherwise, I'd trot over and go dress shopping with you.  It's no fun alone, so i hope you have some of your maids in town with you.

And do go to one of the 'high end' specialty bridal shops.  I just popped into one to look for a particular St Pucchi model (they didn't have it), and it was an education in fabric and drape.  Also, it allowed me to appreciate the less cost intensive salons and their products.  (I found I could easily give up heavy silk satin at over $80 yd for a slightly lighter weight silk satin for the under dress at about 1/3rd the price.)

But then, I have a lace and pearl overdress, so no one would really see the under dress. (provided I live long enough to wear it  ;D   (Both my DH and I have been 'Obombed' in the last year or so; and at the mature age of 58 are finding it difficult to find another position to last until the tender age of 65 or so.)  :1087:

Oh, and DO try on some mermaid style dresses.  With your height and figure, I think you'd be stunning.  >:D
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
What a beautiful gown.  It's simply elegant.