Author Topic: Wedding dress help for ::coughcough:: "mature" bride??  (Read 29565 times)

Offline Debangel

Wedding dress help for ::coughcough:: "mature" bride??
« on: June 27, 2011, 04:24:59 PM »
This is soooo embarrassing, but..I just realized, I'm about to be (dum dum DUM)..a mature bride.  Eeek!!  I don't have a mom, and my best friend/SIL is probably going to move across the country before we have a chance to go dress shopping.  I don't have a ton of female friends out here, and for one reason or another (fashion-challenged, newly-divorced, etc) the rest of 'em can't help.  I've lost a ton of weight and had two children since the last time I walked down an aisle (Sept. 2003), so I could use some advice!

((By the way...how can I get iPhone pics up here?  Is there a way to move them from a Facebook "mobile uploads" folder?))

Stats:  I'm a hair shy of 5'8", and about 155#, trying to lose 10 of those (WHILE SITTING ON MY BUTT, TYPING ABOUT IT).  Small through the shoulders/collarbones, back is toned without me trying, tummy is un-toned no matter what I do (and complaining, I've found, does not increase metabolic rate).  Short torso, tiny ribcage, 34DDD.  Hips that got me through two childbirths in an embarrassingly short amount of time, Sicilian rear view, longish legs and saddlebags that the Pony Express would have envied.  And have I mentioned that I'm about to turn 40 in September?

So, I need something that screams "check out my delicate collarbones and excellent cleavage and little ribcage and STOP RIGHT THERE, NOBODY SAID YOU WERE ALLOWED TO LOOK AT MY THIGHS."  Oh, and it has to not require any sort of fancy bra, because a strapless model in a DDD is not the best look for someone pushing OH MY GOD I'M TURNING 40.  Also, I never, ever wear heels.

Oh yes, and, it's not going to be a normal wedding, exactly.  We're planning on contacting some non-denom churches in our area and finding a family in need to do a "home invasion" for.  See, this shindig is going to be on Christmas Eve, and our closest friends/scant bit of family are going to help us descend upon a home without holiday cheer, and totally pimp it out, North-Pole style.  Tree, presents, lights, food, the works.  In all our finery, no less.  Then we're going to kick back and chow down on holiday goodies and spike the hot cocoa ;)

But, I still have to look fetching!  Halp!!

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
Re: Wedding dress help for ::coughcough:: "mature" bride??
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
This is very doable.  But...PLEASE don't call yourself a MATURE bride.  Geesh Deb...you 're only 39...for Pete's sake.

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »
Where are you?  I will meet you in Atlanta at Bridals by Lori.  That is where I got my dress and I had the best time. 

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:34 PM »
http://watters.com/Product/WattersBrides/9075B/#Colors:ivory

I thought these dresses were affordable and nice looking in person. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:18:52 PM by GIAGirl »

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »
What color would you prefer? Do you have cold weather at Christmas or warm? Formal or more informal? You'd like to hide your thighs but what about your calves?

*rubs hands gleefully* I LOVE weddings!

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:24:50 PM »
What's our BU-JAY?

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 07:29:44 PM »

I thought these dresses were affordable and nice looking in person. 

Just out of curosity how much is "affordable"?  When DD says this to me I always break out in a cold sweat.

Should I start saving now? I figure I have about 8 years...

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 07:30:33 PM »
What's our BU-JAY?

Is that code for something?  ::)

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »
Budget....hehehee...sounds nicer when you say BU-JAY!
You have time DJM.  I think they were less than $1500 (which is cheap in wedding dress world) but they looked really good in person.  I did not have time to look at all of them, but I did see a couple in person and they looked nice...

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:43:18 PM »

You have time DJM.  

Ummm....you do know who we are talking about right? And...you do know who her mother is. Oh crap...

BTW, you should be a wedding consultant GG....or at the very least a bride dresser. (Is there such a thing?)  I so wish you would've agreed to be on that show...what was it? "Say yes to the dress"? Wasn't that it?

You would've been taking over the sales associate's jobs and advising all the other brides at the same time you were trying on yours......I could just see it...lmao.

And then...you'd be checking out their engagement rings...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:48:33 PM by djm195 »

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
I love it!  I can look for HOURS at them!!!!!!!   If I lived closer to Atlanta, I would do it in a heartbeat!  I know some tricks that I will share when your time is up!!!! 

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 11:11:48 PM »
Hmmm I'm trying to upload pictures but it says its full?

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:23:23 PM »
So, here are links instead!

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Allover-Beaded-Lace-Trumpet-Gown-9T9612_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Style-Classic-Traditional

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Satin-Faced-Organza-Gown-with-Illusion-Piece-VW351023_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Designer-White-by-Vera-Wang

Check out the picture titled Bridal Coat II! I LOVE this look, especially for winter; you can put a simple dress underneath with straps big enough to cover bra straps and it wont distract. Lots of pretty coat/cape ideas for a winter wedding too.
http://www.dragonorient.com/home.php?cat=480

The very last dress on this page is pretty (and red - fun and festive!) If you click on the picture, it will show you the back of the dress.
http://www.unique-wedding-dresses.com/christmas-wedding-dresses.html

Last dress again:
http://www.unique-wedding-dresses.com/vintage-wedding-dresses.html

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 11:33:28 PM »
The very first dress is a plus size dress - I think there is a smaller version of it but I'm not sure. I just really thought it beautiful and it has thick straps to cover a bra yet wide enough to show decolletage and a lowish cut back to show off how toned yours is, plus you can see from the plus size model that your thicker areas will be covered well.

I'd totally wear this dress if I were getting married again.

Don't worry about the tummy or the rear end. That's why we have Spanx.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:37:18 PM by dovesgate »

Offline Debangel

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 11:40:30 PM »
Thanks ladies!

GIAGirl, you crack me up..BU-JAY, like "Tar-zhjay" for Target??  For a minute there, I thought you were referring to...something else.  Which would actually probably increase my budget, since Moose would let me do whatever I wanted afterw...anyway, I am pretending to be Genuine Mature Person here, so I will stick to the topic at hand ;)

Budget..umm..very very cheap?  Of course, this is *me* you're talking to, living near poverty level (I'm taking some time off to write, and not put the baby in day care/ with her less-than-attentive father, hence the lack of funds)..but everything in my closet is a brand-name, from a *really* nice store. We buy everything from thrift stores, antique/flea markets, craigslist, eBay, you name it, and probably pay (seriously) around 10% of retail, most of the time.  (I know, I'm bragging, but  I did find DBL and you guys, didn't I??  Total find of the century, there.)  So I would optimally like to find a great style/designer that I love, and start the search from there.  I'm guessing that I'd like to look for a dress that retails between $500-1,000.

I really like the second pic you posted, GIAgirl, with the sash at the high/natural waist.  I also like the first photo that shows up on the link you provided, with the rose-colored sash, and those off-set type cap sleeves.  Alas, I am nowhere near Hotlanta..I'm in Lafayette, CO, which is about 9 miles east of Boulder.  C'mon over anytime, though!

Dove, I think I like something between a white and an ivory, LOL.  I know it's not my first wedding (gulp...it's my 3rd..long story, but for awful reasons the first one should have been annulled), but I like white just as a color, and it likes me, too!  I lean more toward a milk white.  Our "logo" for the wedding is snowflakes, too (he got me a snowflake pendant a la blue box store that I wear every day), so a "snow white" plus silver or gray would look really pretty, I think.  Da Moose will be in Navy mess dress, we think, although he keeps threatening me that for this "home invasion" he is going to wear camo instead!

Thighs bad, ankles OK.  Anything else? =)

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 11:46:32 PM »
http://watters.com/Product/WattersBrides/7074B/#Colors:ivory silk taffeta

Ohhhhh I like this! It might end up a little Ms. Boobs-alot though.

I wore white for my second wedding too. I even wore a veil which is supposed to be a real no-no. I didn't care though. Like your first one, mine should have been annulled too. He fought me tooth and nail though so I ended up going with the easiest path.

Offline Debangel

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 11:54:32 PM »
O.M.G.  Dove, you either just got us in a huge amount of trouble, or made our wedding day!!  See, James is basically a young, hunky blond version of Santa Claus.  Seriously, he has the glasses and everything, and he grows his beard out (it's red!) in the fall.  He finally and tearfully gave up his tattered red wool Santa pants and braces this past year, since he's lost so much weight.  Anyway, I called him over to my computer to check out dresses, and he saw the fur-trimmed red Bridal Coat III (II was stunning, btw), and the white dress with the red sash, and his eyes started to twinkle, and, we *are* going to play Santa as part of our wedding plans..

Red goes with silver, right?  And yes, I will do anything to make my sweetie twinkle like that.  He is insisting that all of my "girls" at the wedding get snowflake charms, too, as *his* gift to them, so he's worth humoring ;)  Also, now I can spring it on him that I'd like a custom wedding band by DBL..muahahahaha..

Loving this!!  It's like having sisters that I didn't have to beat up or resent  ;D

Offline Debangel

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 11:59:55 PM »
http://watters.com/Product/WattersBrides/7074B/#Colors:ivory silk taffeta

Ohhhhh I like this! It might end up a little Ms. Boobs-alot though.

I wore white for my second wedding too. I even wore a veil which is supposed to be a real no-no. I didn't care though. Like your first one, mine should have been annulled too. He fought me tooth and nail though so I ended up going with the easiest path.

Dove, I love it!  First thing James said was "wow, she's shaped just like you!"  (See why I need to get a ring on this guy?) 

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 12:01:49 AM »
Have you researched at all on theknot.com? I wouldn't have been able to put together my destination wedding without the Vegas Knotties. The girls all share tips on saving money there. There also used to be a bio with a master list of those of us on tight budgets and our creative ways of getting around limited cash. I can't remember what it was called though (The Budget Bio maybe?) and I don't know if it is still up and running. I know my own bio is defunct since I haven't been there in forever.

Offline Debangel

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »
Ooh!  No, I haven't.  I have sort of been waiting for "ensparklelation" to occur ;)  I suppose I should get on with the "manicuration", too, since at this point my hands don't really look Daussi-worthy!

Where was your wedding destination to, Dove?  Where in Cali are you?

GIAgirl, are you from or near Atlanta? 

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »
hee hee  :-*

At the time of our wedding, we lived on the Central Coast in California and were married in Las Vegas. We're currently in southern California. The hot, yucky desert of California.

If you need ideas for saving money, just let me know. When I was done, I found I had paid less than $3k, less than $5k if you included my father's gift of paying for our ceremony - somewhat difficult to do in Sin City when you're having the full shin-dig and also including what money I lost on deposits and such from changing our location. I had such a blast doing it though!!

I was so bitten by the wedding bug that I wanted to open my own wedding planning business specializing in weddings on a budget.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:20:52 AM by dovesgate »

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 12:30:38 AM »
Lookie what I just stole off the thread for dresses for Ah2bqat (oh man, I just know I mangled her name.  ???).

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/

>:D