Author Topic: Help me design a wedding band for Da Moose! ;)  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Debangel

Help me design a wedding band for Da Moose! ;)
« on: June 23, 2011, 04:32:05 PM »
Hi everyone!  I desperately need your help in coming up with an extra-nifty surprise wedding band for James, for three reasons: 1) Y'all know what the heck you're doing, what with proportions, metals, creative ideas, etc. 2) James is the kind of guy who would give someone the shirt off his back after carefully starching it, first, and has not had the kind of life where his sweetness has exactly been appreciated, much less reciprocated, and 3) If I can spend more time at my computer, rather than in the kitchen where a gigantic bag of dark chocolate covered acai and blueberries from Costco is sitting, I have half a chance of getting into a wedding dress ;)

Here's the deal: in one of those "50-50" so-called-equitable splits known as "Le Divorce", James lost a diamond he really, really liked.  He'd worn it as a pinky ring until turning it into an engagement ring for his now-ex. In a fit of pique, she hocked the diamond at a pawn shop for a fraction of its value, rather than let him buy it back from her.  It was a radiant cut, .72 ct, J/VS2, strong blue florescence. He's flexible on thecolor, and on the size (since I am Poor Single Mother/Nanny, after all), but LOVES florescent stones. (BTW, he thinks this is an idea for a far-off anniversary.  Heh heh.)  So, I'd like a single stone to be the centerpiece of his ring.

Two: He has huge fingers, at least in comparison to everyone except for our Fearless Leader DBL ;)  (Seriously, 14.5??  That's a LOT of platinum..)  He's a size 12.25-12.5.  The boy has some very big bones. (I hear you giggling, peanut gallery!!)  I've referred to him as a "Moose-toh-Don" ;)  So, no dainty narrow band for him.  This is a problem, because the style I am envisioning for him that I thought would suit him so well is the one that was posted on another thread using a customer's diamond in a silver band, where the diamond was set low into the ring, and the width of the band was essentially the width of the diamond.  The narrowest band I think James could wear would be 6mm.  7-8 would look better, I think, but I don't know if the budget would support it. 

Three: Platinum.  Lots of it.  He would love an iridium band, which apparently one can get if one knows someone in NASA, but I don't, and I don't know if you could set a stone in it, anyhow.  And this will be his "dress" band, for the wedding and for Date Night.  He's an subcontractor/installer for DirecTV, and looking for "regular" work as a chief engineer, so he's going to get a tungsten band to beat senseless on a daily basis instead.  He's OK with white gold, but, well, there's no way I am going to cut corners on this guy.  He's a total angel, and deserves the best, or, at least as much as I can sell my plasma for!  So lots of silky, ultra-high-polish, comfy, classy, platinum.  For, umm, special friend price.  I'd like a pony, while y'all are at it, too.

((Oh yeah, and I'm a Damn Yankee, but have obviously been spending too much time jawing with my Biloxi-born BIL and his damn sugary Southern accent.  Y'all are just going to have to forgive my y'alls.  Time to call my Jersey friends, after which I say "cawfee" again for days ;) ))

So..am I insane?  Other than for my sweetie.  Help me out here?  I won't even consider anything pre-made, or going with anyone besides DBL.  Besides which, James already promised him all of our business, for life.  And the big lug (James, not David) is already looking at pink lemonade rings.  Sigh =)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Re: Help me design a wedding band for Da Moose! ;)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
My first thought immediately is a "pipe cut ring" with a diamond set flush to the surface.  If he loved the radiant go for another radiant.  I definitely would make the strong blue a top priority.  

You could get away with a smaller diamond and have it set totally flush in the center of the ring.  Here are a few links

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/gentlemans-diamond-ring-semi-mount--thick-pipe-ring

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-97ct-ji1-emerald-cut-diamond-gia-nice-i1-r3270

That would be the first thought that comes to my mind.

My husband wears a size 14 ring and honestly 6-7 mm looks great on his hands.  He's also one of those really built kind of guys.  His current band is a 6mm.  It was comfortable for him to wear and it doesn't look tiny.  8mm is fine too but rest assure if the budget does not allow, a 6mm is perfect really!

So that's my thought if I were to get a big guy like that a band.  

FTR, quite a few of my midwestern buddies use y'all on a regular basis.  I didn't until I went to college (lots more people around from all over) but it seems normal to me, so don't you dare apologize ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:44:22 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:52:58 PM »
You can get iridium in small quantities (couple of ounces) without too much of a problem; it's cheaper than platinum. The problem is working the durned thing. It's generally sintered (powder compressed and "melted") which makes for a very resistant but not very attractive finish (think "stealth plane" type finish, opaque and with a fine orange peel effect). Setting a stone - fuhgeddaboudit; it's way too brittle. But if you want a band, I am pretty sure I (and David) can find one...

Offline Debangel

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »
Squiggly, that pipe band is a thick chunk of awesome! Sorta like my sweetie.  Uhhh..where was I going with this?  Oh yeah, thanks for the eyewitness advice on the wedding band width!  My mom's old wedding band is a 6 mm, but he couldn't even get it onto his pinky so I could see what it might look like. (I suppose we could have gone to a mall store to check out rings for size, but I *never* go to the mall.  Yes, I am still female..but I get all my really pricey brand-name clothes for 90% off at Goodwill and such, often with the tags still attached!  It comes from being a "bigger" girl (5'8" and 155#, but I swear, I am going to lose 10 lbs before the wedding..) in a skinny place like Boulder, CO.)

OMC, I would *love* to locate a nice iridium band!  The one place I saw prices listed online, though, they were pretty expensive.  Can you let me know what you come up with?  By the way, James has read a couple of your more "technical" postings, and actually remembered them enough to remark "hey, I bet that Coyote guy would know something about iridium bands!".  You smartypants types are peas in a pod :) 

Thanks for the help!!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 06:10:54 PM »
If you like I can take a photo of my hubby with his band on tonight after the monkey goes to sleep (if a camera comes out my kiddo has to take tons of pics too LOL).  That way you can see for yourself how it looks.  Honestly we had issues trying to find bands to try on in nice jewelry stores because they usually didn't carry much above a 11 or 12.  We wound up buying a sterling band to see how it would look.

The pipe band is very  much what I would consider if we ever had to replace my hubby's band.  I love the way they look especially on a bigger guy.  My husband works out a lot (lifting) so he has that broad shoulder/big build to him.  Dainty is not something I would ever consider for him.  Me on the other hand is the opposite... I make a 3mm band look wide LOL

We won't get into me and shopping.  Being a shorty thing I now buy at stores that do free hemming.  That way I don't have to pay $10-20 just to alter pants.  I've had such issues finding clothes that fit so a seamstress is my friend.  I'm currently addicted to one particular store... they have a great shoe selection too  ::)

OMC you are always shocking me with everything you know.  I had no clue you could get an iridium band!  Though I do have friends who work for NASA.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline shiba

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 09:11:12 PM »
I bought hubby a pipe ring.  The stone is 1/2 the size of one you are looking at but should give you a IRL pic to look at.  The pics should still be up on the forum.  He loves it.  It has gotten a little beat up from daily wear, and what ever else he does during the day.  Some days he is in a suit, others on site and in work boots.  

As far as cost, if gold is still less expensive than platinum, I would go with the material he prefers.  Platinum is not my preference because it is heavy and I don't like the patina.  The pipe ring is heavy in a size 8 in gold, DH would have hated it in platinum.  He used to have a ttanium band and loved that it was so light.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:14:38 PM by shiba »

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »
I'll second the vote for the pipe ring. I like all DBL's mens rings but that one is my favorite for now. My Hubby also wears a large size (12-13) and i think it would look smashing on him.  

Hubby's favorite ring right now is a kinda strange gear ring. It's really cool - it's a solid band with gears mounted on the outside and two notched bands on the top and bottom so the outer bands spin on the gears. It isn't very elegant but it really speaks to him and apparently it's fun to play with.

Offline Debangel

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:26:36 PM »
Ok, OMC, the final verdict is Plain Iridium Band.  Plus a fancy florescent radiant cut diamond for a pinky ring.  Good thing I asked!  Took me ages to appropriately beat around the bush, but I seem to still have him fooled that this will be for Distant Anniversary Present.  Can you and/or David help me find a decent price for an iridium band?  And can iridium be engraved?

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:45 AM »
OK, the search starts now. :david:

Engraving I think may be difficult. I don't know for sure, but the fact that it is a hard and brittle material makes any form of decoration tough to do. On the other hand, there's plenty of engraved glass, so let's see...