Author Topic: I am dumb and I know it  (Read 2810 times)

Offline dovesgate

I am dumb and I know it
« on: May 21, 2011, 12:42:44 AM »
Got your attention didn't I? :-*  ::)

I have a question about clarity grading at GIA. Taking my new wedding ring for example, when looking at it with the naked eye, it looks clean. When using a 10x loupe, it looks clean (well, I probably wouldn't notice feathers anyway since I can barely see them even on the pictures David diagrams in the instructional posts in here), but when I look at it with a 30x loupe I can see carbon.

So my question is, does GIA only use a 10x or do they magnify as high as possible to map out every single inclusion? I am sorely tempted to send her off to find out her stats and what she is really worth but I am scared to, knowing that I've seen carbon in her.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: I am dumb and I know it
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 04:15:27 AM »
Diamonds are graded (and plots populated) using 10x magnification. Nothing more powerful. And nothing more arbitrary. Why not 20x? Or 100x?

A tunnelling electron microscope would find a lot of gaps, substitutions and inclusions in the atomic lattice of the most flawless of flawless diamonds. Which is why I find the whole notion of clarity grades above VS2 is purely a marketing ploy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:16:04 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Kris43

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:16:33 AM »
OMC- You're a human computer I swear. Are there any topics that elude you? Not to get to personal but I'd be shocked if you weren't a professor of some sort. If not then the educational system surely missed out on you. Glad we didn't! I love reading all of your posts. I feel so much more informed and educated after. Thanks again for sharing! Kris

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:47:08 AM »
Beep. Whirr. Clunk. (Thank you. Too kind.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:52:37 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »
Isn't he the best?!  :sultan:

I did try googling it but that search didn't go so well so I came here because I knew someone would be able to tell me.

I do so love this website. So many pretties to look at and people who are much more knowledgeable are willing to share their insight about those pretties.  :heart2:

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
Beep. Whirr. Clunk. (Thank you. Too kind.)

Now forgive me in advance. This is not meant to offend anyone... but I am always looking to have a little fun at OMC's expense. The above post reminds me of OMC as the Terminator. I just can't resist.  ;D

If you've seen any of the Terminator movies, you'll know that the bottom pic is what a terminator sees when asked a question..... >:D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:48:09 AM by saqsay1 »
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:44:59 AM »
I look more like a Dalek, so a Terminator is a definite improvement.

Also, the bottom screen is missing the Fancy Intense Yellow / VS1 option.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:09:42 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 09:58:33 AM »
I better go get the stick out.............  :a082:
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."