Author Topic: Bearded girdle?  (Read 4853 times)

Offline ah2bqat

Bearded girdle?
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:05:23 PM »
I've heard of bearded ladies, and even bearded clams; but what is a bearded girdle?  :dontknow:

Check out the GIA on this incredible ring.  Man, this one has to go on the IWANT short list.
http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-36ct-round-brilliant-fancy-vivid-yellow-si2-gia-sparkling-golden-color--r3730

Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Trinkette

Re: Bearded girdle?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »
Bearded girdles have very fine fractures, chips, or indentations. Sometimes, this is a result of the bruting process. Other times, it is the result of general wear and tear, or some sort of impact, after a diamond in jewelry has been worn. Minor bearding – ie, brearding that does not impact the overall sparkle and appearance of a diamond – is not considered a significant characteristic. OTOH, more severe chips or cracks, or any sort of variation in the girdle that impacts a diamond's overall appearance and/or performance, is something  one would not want (and, I would imagine that such a condition would be noted on a report).

I would kind of liken this to when a GIA report notes something like "additional clouds not shown..." meaning, the characteristic is so minor or insignificant that it does not warrant plotting on a report (an indication that it should not impact the overall clarity or beauty of the gem).

I think that I got that right...  ::)

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »
It's Father Christmas's girdle.

Or, if you want the serious explanation, it is many minute radial feathers on a girdle (usually caused by bruting with excessive force/speed) which look a bit like hair, hence the name.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:35:19 PM »
Really great answers guys!

in fact girdle mechanics is probably one area where advancements in cutting technology are easily seen. Today, they can really polished the tiny facets, Gödel so that is a faceted girdle. Up until probably the mid-1970s, most girdles were frosted. At that time, it was a big deal to have a faceted girdle.

When it comes to colorless diamonds, there is no doubt – faceted, or at least polished girdle is the way to go.
When it comes to fancy colors, it's a little bit more tricky.
Judging by way this diamond is cut, it was most likely cut relatively recently. Therefore, I have to believe that the choice to leave the girdle as slightly bearded, was made to assist in color retention from the rough.
It's impossible to notice this with the naked eye. By the way, you need a loupe to see it
David
Check out our YouTube Channel