Author Topic: In need of some hair ideas - help!  (Read 12942 times)

Offline diamondjunkie

In need of some hair ideas - help!
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:27:51 PM »
I have basically one week until our day infront of family and friends and I was doing oh so very well at not being nervous but now I keep thinking about all the things I haven't done and wondering if I SHOULD have done them or if it will be okay on the day without doing them and will everyone have a good time or will I have a good time and will my dress look right with the veil I chose and what will I do if the cake isn't moist and why oh why did I decide to plan the entire thing via internet with no taste testings, venue visits, or recommendations and how the hell am I supposed to pull this whole thing off.

BREATHE.

So.  As you can see, DJ is a little stressed this week.  One week to go and I have no idea what to do with my hair.  Well, that's unfair.  I do have ideas.......just I can't seem to find a pic that represents all my ideas and so now I'm just confused and wondering what the hecky-thump I will say to the hairdresser and afraid of how she will interpret what I say and what on earth will I do if I end up looking like Morticia........ :1237387oyy519k20r:

Okay, I may need a slap.  Where is DJM?   :smackdownguys:

Here goes, my hair is past my shoulders by a few inches.  It is layered around my face with the shortest layer an inch or two past my chin.  No bangs/fringe.  I like a side part with a bit of height in the front.  I would at least like half of it down and curly, or maybe all of it.  I have a veil that needs to go into place on the top of my head behind a tiara but I don't want to sacrifice volume on top.

What do you think would look best?  Here's a couple of ideas I had but they are not perfect at all - I can't believe I don't have this worked out yet!

Offline lovecolor

Re: In need of some hair ideas - help!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 02:53:28 PM »
Honey, please remember that everyone there loves you...they're not there for moist cake!  And you will look BEAUTIFUL no worries there...because you're in love and seeing your love puts rose colored glasses on everyone there!

Now for your hair, which sounds lovely by the way...I like the idea of having it half up and half down (maybe a french braid ) with the curls in the back...of course, all up is a look that's always bridal perfect too, especially if you plan on dancing alot... :faintthud:
Oh darn, I don't think I'm much help after all.   :dontknow:

Anyway, remember to keep breathing deeply and smile...this is the "good stuff" in life.   :Flowers2:        :-*   

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:12:42 PM »
My dear DJ...get over here so I can give you a hug.

You are going to be a rock star, I just know it.

Okay...now for a little djm advice. Ready?

What have I always told you about contradictions? Remember the grass and granite, leather and lace, hard and soft? Remember how we agreed that we loved them? Haven't I always said I love allegories...in life, nature and literature?  Then use them Den...you have that beauty where you can pull it off.

That said, if your dress is smooth (no lace or detail) then your hair should be curly, the tighter the better; if the dress is smooth and asymetrical then pull both sides back with a very small piece forward. On the otherhand, if the dress is highly detailed and lacey, your hair should be smooth with a slight wave. If it is detailed and symetrical, then pull back one side of you hair. Are you getting the opposite thing here?

As for an allegory...think of something for your hair to tie the abstract with something that has meaning for the both of you...think about it.  (I have some acme birdseed you can borrow to make a hairclip if you'd like...lol)

God, I have to do everything around here.

Love you kiddo,
djm
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:45:04 PM by djm195 »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
If you want your hair down I will suggest that you don't keep any of it in your face.  it never lays right hours later the few times I have tried to do it.  It's cute but annoying and not practical.

I could easily envision something like what Kate Middleton had (a demi chignon they said).  She had height to the hair in the front, but her locks were down and softly curled. 

I personally prefer the more natural look of the first or last myself.  However my hair doesn't hold hairspray well (let's just say I  never leave any of my hair down for any formal events now... especially if there is dancing) and sometimes by the end of the day a very controlled curl (not so natural I mean) will look very dull and lifeless at the end of the day.

Go with the lovely locks you have in a natural look.  I'd google Demi Chignon as there are so many pictures of slightly different looks. 

Remember this though, no matter what you will look lovely :)
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:32:09 PM »
I don't have much hair advice, since I'm not the best with that sort of thing, but I do need to say this - it would not be possible for your hair not to look awesome. You have awesome hair. It's beautiful.

Great advice from DJM, and Lovecolor is spot on when she says that people are going to be there because they love you (I do prefer moist cake though... >:D)

Don't fret about this, you really can't go wrong. That said, if you fixate on hair and don't have time to worry about other details, maybe that's the best thing. Hugs.xxx
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
DJ
I have no hair suggestions for you, I have very short hair ( think Judi Dench lol, similar age group, similar hair but I`m about a foot taller lol ) BUT as one prospective bride to another I urge you to chill a little.
Mr Kent sees you and loves you from morning til night, with tousled hair, wet hair, perfect hair and I daresay he`d even love you without hair !
Your family and friends don`t give a jot about cake, food or any other detail. They care about YOU.
So look at the long road behind you, look at the long happier road in front of you, see just how far you`ve come and how strong you`ve been and enjoy your pre weddindg preparations. Get excited not stressed !
PS end of pep talk and come September you can return the favour  ;D
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:03:52 PM »
Morticia is fine. It's Uncle Fester you should be afraid of. So get things in perspective, let the hairdresser get on with her job, and enjoy the result.  :chillpill:

BTW - If it weren't for the fact that my wife is still wearing basically the same style as she did 3 years ago when we married, I don't think I would remember her hairstyle...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:04:56 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »
Why do people keep saying we don't care about the cake? I only go to weddings for the cake... :laugh:

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
Excellent advice from everyone... as usual! Regarding details, I think DJM is right-on (and, since we don't know the dress style, this is about as far as we can go).

Now, are you SURE that it is your HAIR that is stressing you? I am talking "outfit stress" here, not the overwhelming "normal wedding day stress," LOL! Is it possible that the problem is not with your hair at all, but rather, is about something else that isn't "fitting" with your hair or perceived look... like the tiara or the veil? Remember, you are not wedded to either of these choices. For example, I think you would look absolutely stunning with your hair in big, rich, smooth curls, piled high at the crown, and pulled back to one side with a beautiful clip. You could use a vintage jewelry clip (I am sure Mrs. OMC would lend you hers...   :Whistle: ), or pair of clips. Your locks could cascade beautifully over the opposite shoulder. Another option, actually, one I think fits you perfectly, would be very '40s-style, Lauren Bacall waves (think classic, chic, seductress), parted on the side, with a deep wave to one side of your forehead. Honestly, I am not sure how the tiara and veil fit in with this one... '40s kind of calls for a clip (AGAIN with the CLIP  ::) ), pillbox hat or caplet and a short fingertip veil (or shorter... or no veil at all).

*SIGH* sorry, I am no help here. I just thought I'd push the envelop a bit to put it all in perspective and try to get to the bottom of the dilemma (um, I know you're not going to be out shopping for hair ornaments at this point). Like everyone has said, in the end, it is YOU that matters, DJ, not the hair, tiara, or veil. You'll look gorgeous no matter what you wear! And, I agree with Mrs. M., your hair is lovely and doable in any style.

Oh, yes, BTW, I DO think you need to send Mrs. M. a piece of cake... :weddingcake:

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »
I like the first one.  It looks loose and modern.  Can you go for a trial run?  Wash and dry it yourself, but just let them style it and see how it comes out?

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:51:37 PM »
Of the three pics, I like the first best, as well. And, I think it would translate well to your hair and overall style, DJ.

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:43 PM »
I can't believe I'm saying this...

*gulp*

I think djm is right.

You are going to look amazing.   :-*
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 06:18:26 AM »
The OMC family collection of jewellery is at your disposal, should it be needed.

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 06:53:37 AM »
The OMC family collection of jewellery is at your disposal, should it be needed.

Okay...this one got me. She's not even married yet and I'm getting a lump in my throat. OMC, you rock bud.

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 09:55:11 AM »
WOW.  What do I say to you guys?!  I expected a couple of lines from a few but you've all really come through to help me out.  THANK YOU.  I'm a bit gobsmacked because a few of you have nailed some things but this especially wigged me out:

Another option, actually, one I think fits you perfectly, would be very '40s-style, Lauren Bacall waves (think classic, chic, seductress), parted on the side, with a deep wave to one side of your forehead. Honestly, I am not sure how the tiara and veil fit in with this one... '40s kind of calls for a clip (AGAIN with the CLIP  ::) ), pillbox hat or caplet and a short fingertip veil (or shorter... or no veil at all).

My dress is a 40s oscar style dress.  I nearly fell off my chair, Trink.  The guy at the bridal shop took one look at me and said, "I've got a dress I think you'll like" - and he was right! It was nothing like the pic I took in of the style I wanted but I put it on and felt awesome.  I didn't want to take it off!  But I haven't been able to really try everything on at once yet so I'm a little jittery over that.  I don't know what it will all look like together.

DJM, the dress does have an asymmetric element to it with a lot of folding/ruching to the bodice.  Not a lot of embellishment but some.  Honestly, I'm holding out posting pics because I think it looks horrid on the designer's website and those are the only pics I have!

OMC, I nearly peed my pants with the Uncle Fester comment!!!!  ROFL!  I think I'll leave the bald look to Rob.......and thank you for the offer of the family jewels.......but you might have to track me down in Brazil after the wedding!   ;D

Lovecolor, no worries - I'm no help to myself either!

Squigs, funny you should mention a demi-chignon.  I just bought a pin-thingy-ma-jig that is supposed to make demi-chignon's a breeze......well, in someone else's hands perhaps because I can't figure the bloomin' thing out for love nor money........  I'll google the style and see what I can find.  Thank you!

Thanks Lynne - you are so sweet to me.   :-*  I just wish I felt confident about it all.  Argh!  Going to just have to go with the flow and hopefully not come down with an ulcer before it's over!

Jen, you rotten bugger!  If that cake is dry now I'm going to be sitting there crying!  Actually, if I walk over to your table and pour brandy on your slice, you'll know why!  LOL!

GG, I don't think I'll have time for a trial run but I do have a secret weapon up my sleeve.  One of my oldest friends runs his own hair salon in my hometown - and he's very good at what he does.  Anyhooooooo, he is coming to the wedding but I told him absolutely no hair - he is coming to enjoy himself and that's that.  Well, he has been a total sweetheart and has said he will help if I need him......so maybe I'll put it up for the wedding and have him help me put it down for the reception.  Hmmmm, that might work!

Annie, SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!  Don't go saying things like that in public!!!!   ;D  And thank you - I know I need to stop worrying about it!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
The cake will be fine, just fine. It won't have salmon frosting, for a start.  ;D

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 11:21:08 AM »
ROFLMAO!!!!!  Well, it better not!  LOL!

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 05:00:45 PM »
Awww DJ I`m sure everything will be fine on the day. The venue will have coped with many weddings so I`m certain everything will be wonderful.
Your dress sounds divine and you have excellent taste so I`m certain all of your clothes and accessories will look superb together.
We all have to have a little faith when we have to deal with stuff online and I know you`ve had to arrange things from afar but it will all come together.
I`ve just ordered a customised pair of shoes and it`s tough luck if I don`t like them when they arrive because they`re a custom job so I`m stuck with them, I reassure myself that even if I don`t like them they`ll hardly be seen under my dress lol.
There are some things which are simply in the hands of the Gods eh, cakes, custom shoes and weather being just a few of them !
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:02:04 PM by Awestruck »
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
Look what I found!  I absolutely love that last pic - I think it's gorgeous!  Now if only the hairdresser hadn't cut my hair way too short in January.......still, I think I have enough to pull off something similar......

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »
Yes, to the last pic. Very chic and elegant... and, I find myself looking at HER, not just her HAIR. DJ, I don't see the first two as YOU, however that is just me, I guess. I see your style as more sophisticated than the first two photos. Honestly, I still think you as more of a WAVE gal, over CURL gal, and, I can't get the femme fatale image out of my head...

Love the fact that the dress is '40s inspired!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »
YES! That's the right one. The last one, I mean. You have the right hair and the right bone structure for that one - it's gorgeous!

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »
I vote for photo #3, too, DJ.  You'd be stunning in that style.

AND I must concur with Jen and Lynne, I believe,  about the entire wedding THING.  Don't stress it - at this point there is little you can do to change it. You might notice something, but most guests won't.

We've probably all been to weddings where things might not all go tickety-boo.  So what?  Life doesn't work that way very often.  None of the folks at the venue, or the cakemaker, the florist, whomsomeever are doing this as their first wedding.  You might get some thing or things that are a little unexpected, but it will all go well - even if the bartender doesn't show.  Somebody will step in to help.  just in case, tho, you might want to recheck the appointment with your minister - he's a bit more important than the bartender.  ;D

Besides, everyone there is there precisely to wish you guys their best, to support and celebrate your commitment to each. :hugging:  :5160  You just need to kick back and enjoy your special day.  :-*
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »
Well, we're all packed, car all loaded up, dog at the boarding kennels and picnic lunch prepared.

Tomorrow, we're driving to Gretna Green for DJ's wedding! So excited, and I promise to take a ton of pics, if she'll let me post them here.  ;)

I'll be offline until Wednesday evening, as we're staying overnight. If anyone emails me, I'll get back to you asap on my return.

I can't wait - she's going to look gorgeous and I have a feeling it will be a heck of a party!

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »
Give DJ our love and hopefully she`ll let you post the pics.
Oh how I wish was there instead of down South with 2 little grand daughters who are covered in chicken pox !

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »
I hope you have a wonderful trip Jen!  Please give our love to DJ!  I can't wait to see the pics upon your return (hopefully she'll say yes to you posting)!
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com