Author Topic: GIA vs AGTA vs Gubelein  (Read 6348 times)

Offline farsidej

GIA vs AGTA vs Gubelein
« on: April 13, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
I have a 2.03 ct ruby with traits that make it look Burmese. I was on the GIA website last night checking out their fees. I'd want an origin report and not really sure what else I'd need. Maybe an analysis report too. Does anyone have experience submitting single stones?  I just want the most reliable report and don't want to send the stone out of the country. The stone is currently mounted but I wouldn't have a problem taking it out of the setting. I can post pictures later.  Advice please and thanks.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: GIA vs AGTA vs Gubelein
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 12:06:01 AM »
If you don't want to send it out of the country (and I assume you are in the US), then GIA is the only practical choice among those you mention: AGTA closed their lab about a year ago, and Gübelin is in Switzerland, although they have a "visiting lab" service that goes to New York regularly, so it may be worth inquiring as to timing, costs and booking.

When you say you want "the most reliable report", and "not sure what else you need" what is your question, really? Are you trying to buy, sell, understand what you have?

I also don't understand your question about submitting single stones - in general that's what gets submitted to labs, although some people may send in a batch of stones, they are all treated as individual unless you go for the (rather expensive) matching service.

Offline farsidej

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:49:30 AM »
Thanks for replying OMC. I want to know what I have and the documentation to support that. I think I knew that AGTA closed their lab a few years ago, but was having a duh'oh moment.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »
Go for GIA, then. The Identification and Origin report is going to be a third (or less - CHF/USD has not gone well for the dollar lately) of the cost of its Gübelin equivalent, and it will provide you with the same basic information to a high level of reliability and credibility. If you enjoy reading through all the gemmological evidence rather than just getting the conclusions, get the analytical report (for twice as much money).

The other option, particularly for rubies, is GRS, but again it does mean shipping.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:19:18 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline ellie10

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
Yes, I definitely recommend submitting your stone to GIA for grading. Here's their educational site (you can learn about how to submit your stone, which will need to be unmounted, here): http://gia4cs.gia.edu/.
This is really the best way to get an accurate report on the four C's of your stone. GIA is the scientific lab that developed the 4 C's grading system in the first place. They really are the most respected lab in the industry for a reason: they are a scientific, nonprofit lab with very strict grading standards. Hope this is helpful!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 02:47:14 AM »
Ellie - what's your agenda?

You have made six posts constantly recommending GIA - which is not a problem - to threads which are sometimes months old. This smacks of shilling.

Offline ellie10

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
No agenda, guess I need to pay better attention to dates of posts. Sorry about that!

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
Welcome to the club, ellie.  I think most of us posted to at least one old thread when we were newbies.  I hesitate to think of the number I posted to, personally, when I came out of lurkdom at first.  You are in good company, and we all approve of GIA certs - at least when they match the stone in question.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!