Author Topic: A photos showing what a VS2 sized imperfection looks like  (Read 7393 times)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
A photos showing what a VS2 sized imperfection looks like
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:09:34 PM »
HI Everyone!
I don't think we can discuss clarity too often- based on the comments I hear regularly from consumers.
I took these photos of a new 4.66ct Fancy Light Yellow in our light box.
This photo seemed perfect for demonstrating a VS2 sized imperfection.

Here's the same photo marked with arrows to point out the small black imperfections

In this case, we're looking at a super close up photo, taken at just the right angle and focal length to highlight the small carbon spots

By tilting the stone just a little bit, and change the distance form the camera, si it's focused a little deeper into the stone and viola! It's much harder to see.

Here's a shot where the focus is a bit softer- IMO closer to how it would look to a human eye- now we can see the "crushed ice effect".

Would these small carbon spots be visible to a human eye, non magnified?
Not mine- and I tried hard.
However it's possible someone with very sharp eyes might actually be able to spot these carbon spots.
Remember, clarity grading is based on the presence of imperfection, as opposed to it's visibility.
I'd say that this is a stone which is a borderline SI1, the adjacent more imperfect grade- yet i'd also have given it VS2.
It would not make a difference if the imperfection was located closer to a corner, which would make it much more difficult to see- the clarity grade does not change.
If there was only one of the small black spots, we'd be looking at a VS1.

This stone does present a good opportunity for education.
Happens to be a lovely stone as well......
ITEM #: R3882
Radiant Cut Diamond, Loose

WEIGHT: 4.66ct
  SHAPE: Radiant Cut
  COLOR: Fancy Light Yellow
  CLARITY: VS2
  MEASUREMENTS: 9.39 x 8.68 x 6.11 mm
  TOTAL DEPTH: 70.4%
  TABLE SIZE: 62%
  POLISH: EX
  SYMMETRY: VG
  FLUORESCENCE: NONE
  GIA REPORT #: 2115177282

Price: $39995
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:10:44 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Re: A photos showing what a VS2 sized imperfection looks like
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »
Clarity always fascinates me.   I remember a time when I thought SI2 meant you couldn't see the inclusion, because that's what the cheapo jewelry stores tried to teach me.

I'd be curious if I could see that inclusion or not on that stone.  I have eyes that can find a tiny white pinpoint in one of my diamonds I own as well as all the black carbon of decent size.  The black ones bug me a little more I think because my eye can spot them quicker.

These seem rather inconspicuous though.  And with the way that diamond sparkles I bet it would be impossible to see.

Great photos though!!!! I love how clear all the facets and the inclusion is. 

As a comparison do you have a good VS1 or SI1 you could photograph?
Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 03:17:49 AM »
One of the few advantages of age is that I can no longer see SI2 inclusions without a loupe, so maybe the store owners were just old... ;D

Kidding apart - it's very difficult to come up with a rule for "cannot see". Something that it not visible from the top is very often visible from the side. And it becomes invisible again once it's set. Which is why the only objective way of grading clarity is on the basis of the presence/absence (or rather - detectability in any condition under 10x magnification) of inclusion or blemish, not its visibility in somewhat arbitrary conditions.

[soapbox mode on]
I also feel that way too much is made of clarity, while ignoring other aspects that make a stone beautiful (or butt ugly). And the colourless's diamond industry need to create perceived rarity has resulted in a clarity grading scale that does not benefit the consumer (just like the D-Z scale). But I'm not going to change it, so I largely ignore it and try to assess every stone on its own merit.
[soapbox mode off]

David - thanks for the great photos.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:23:15 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:02:31 AM »
I agree, OMC.  Too much emphasis on clarity without the explanation.  I have a few SI2 stones that are magnificent because they are well cut and the amount if imperfection is spread out so that from a distance, at a certain angle or to the untrained eye they are not seen.  Yes, I can see them, but I try to focus on the beauty of the stone as a whole.

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 05:03:16 AM »
...and they're also a great bargain, relatively speaking.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:55:53 AM »
I admit for some things I am a clarity junkie.  I fully admit that a black speck absolutely detracts from the beauty of a stone.  I also admit that if I want "white" I need D-F.  I have annoyingly eagle eyes as well as sensitivities to color.  And it does bug me.

While I will avoid a black booger, I won't avoid the clearish or white inclusions.  For whatever reason the ones that always blend in well are okay with me.  So for me it isn't what the clarity level is, it has to be a certain type of inclusion.

Saying eye clean is sooo tough though.  My definition of eye clean is very strict, while others it isn't so much.  I don't actually care about inclusions from the side though.  Not sure what the difference for me is.

I do have friends with noticable inclusions on a stone... all of them don't mind.  They can easily look past them and see the beauty of the stone.  Not my place to judge what people like or don't like.  But I don't always think an I1 stone is fugly just because of the inclusion.  I find the beauty in them as well!
Squiggly

Offline shiba

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 03:35:45 PM »
I am like you clg, the black I can pick out no problem.  Clouds, feathers, crystals etc. really don't bother me unless they detract from sparkle and I don't care otherwise.  Same with being eyeclean, my definition is that "I" can't see it with my eyes- viewed from 6".  Sideways, can't really say that I have ever checked that.  

If there are inclusions that I am happy with and the stone is discounted appropriately, that is a bonus for me.  If someone comes at me with a loupe to check my stones, well, I suspect they would get a much closer look than they anticipated. >:D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:37:35 PM by shiba »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
Is that why they call them "eyeteeth"?