Author Topic: Definition of "Modified Brilliant"...??  (Read 6545 times)

Offline MASPA

Definition of "Modified Brilliant"...??
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:48:30 PM »
So I have been trying to figure out for quite some time what "Modified Brilliant" means on GIA reports.  I understand Cut cornered modified brilliant is what GIA refers to as a Radiant cut because a radiant cut is like a "brand"name so to speak (like trilliant v trillion).  But I've seem Cushion Modified Brilliant and I have also seen Cushion Brilliant without the word modified.  So really what does the word "Modified" mean in there.  Does it mean it's been toyed with in a non traditional way (like all that enhancing that gets done) because it is still would be considered a natural stone?

HELP!!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: Definition of "Modified Brilliant"...??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »
Hi Maspa,
Great question!
What GIA is referring to is additional facets on the pavilion ( back ) of the diamond.
The cushion example is a good one- as there are both "Cushion Brilliant", and Cushion Modified Brilliant" stones.
In the case of Cushion brilliant the back of the stone echoes the pavilion style of a Round Brilliant.
Int he case of modified, there are additional facets added to the back of the stone- therefore modifying the brilliant design.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:22:12 PM »
Cushion Brilliant

Cushion Modified Brilliant

You can see the modifications on the GIA plot- there facets closest to the outside, which prevent the pointy facets from reaching the edge of the stone- on the non modified stone these facets reach the edge of the stone
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline MASPA

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »
So it's all about the facets then.

Thanks so much David!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:20:36 AM »
And just to reassure you further - there is no "value" (increase or decrease) associated to the modified or unmodified cut.