Author Topic: Matching side stones - silly question...kinda, sorta  (Read 25429 times)

Offline ElPasoSpoon

Matching side stones - silly question...kinda, sorta
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
Hola everyone,  I just wanted to run something by everyone and see what you all thought and/or know about matching pairs and side stones.

If you had two diamonds that have GIA reports that are so close as to be just about perfect doubles of each other (stat-wise) ... for example, both .50 carats, both color=E, clarity=IF, polish and symm both EX, no culet and no flor, and all sizes w/in just a few .01-.04 from each other.
I know that every diamond is different and all that, but if you could not see the diamonds before purchasing, how different could these diamonds really be?

Or, I guess, a different way to ask is ... what characteristics are considered when picking out matching pairs/side stones?

Thanks!!!

Daniel

Offline DiamondsAreForever

Re: Matching side stones - silly question...kinda, sorta
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »
The facet pattern can be slightly different - you should look at the GIA plot to see.  I think the only cut and dry standard is for rounds.  They sound nice.  My FLY studs are within .04 mm of one another and look like twins just about.  See my latest "The Big Brown Truck Is Coming Tomorrow" thread in "Show Off Your Jewels".

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:32:43 AM »
If buying initially sight unseen, ask to see the GIA report or if there isn't one, ultra close-up photos side by sideso that you can seen the pattern.

Oh - what shape are these diamonds? 

I know that .04 mm isn't much, but the difference might be noticeable if the biggest difference is in length once it's set.  Slim chance, but just thought I'd bring it up.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
There is NO WAY you are going to see a difference of less than 0.1 mm of size with the naked eye, particularly once set. The larger issue is the cutting style/pattern - as DAF says, other than rounds all others are far from standard. Clarity above SI1 is largely irrelevant, and colour depends a bit where you are on the chart (J-K is a lot more visible than D-E), but in general you are OK within 2 grades within D-Z. Fancy colours you need to see, since the grades are much broader.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:43:45 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »
Even rounds can look very different to me depending on the lower girdle facets.  Some are very narrow and splintery and others are thicker producing more broad flash looks. At least with a round graded with a full report from GIA will help you know how long the lower facets are.

In general I would not buy a diamond pair without seeing them side by side.  The size, clarity and color aren't the issue with buying sight unseen, but the actual cut (as previous said) is.
Squiggly

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:12:20 AM »
I'd click on the hyperlink:)
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 09:46:07 AM »
did someone change that link?  I never click on the links that are posted here by new people appearing to be soliciting...so I'm curious now whether it was always a DBL link or not... ???     

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:54:46 AM »
My dollar against a button says it wasn't.  :angel:

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
OMG love it!!!  ;D
Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell