Author Topic: chipped girdle  (Read 3001 times)

Offline ANF

chipped girdle
« on: December 13, 2010, 02:16:40 PM »
This may be a silly worry but, if a diamond has a mini chip (detectable as a slight indent if you run a fingernail along the girdle) which seems to correspond with a small internal fracture could it be at risk for cracking?

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: chipped girdle
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »
It might. Then again, it may be an indented natural that's been there forever.

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Does the diamond have a full GIA cert?  If if does and it is an indented natural, it will be marked on the plot.

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:47:49 PM »
I think a diamond with a natural that you can feel with your fingernail would still be considered a crack. JMHO ;D
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline ANF

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:07:23 PM »
I brought it to a jeweler who said the blemish was internal but, the diamond had only color cert. and finally wasn't quite right for me.  I decided to return.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 09:51:11 PM »
Good decision. When I read your initial post, I was going to write that it sounds like the stone may have a "cavity"... If so, or something similar, an inside feather (codeword for fracture) connecting to the surface is bad, bad, bad. Your stone is more than at risk for cracking; already it IS cracked to the surface.

If it had been a natural (portion of the original rough surface left) or nick (small, shallow notch on facet junction) on or near the girdle, it probably would have been fine (and limited to just the surface). I would not describe either of these blemishes as a "crack." For what it is worth, and since it is mentioned in this thread title, a "chip" in diamonds is usually rounded and relatively shallow, and occurs on a facet junction. It is usually the result of damage to the surface either during cutting or wearing.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:11:42 PM by Trinkette »

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 11:13:36 PM »
Ain't she just plum wonderful?

Seriously, T, I DO love the way you can explain things.  I wish I were that literate and knowledgeable.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!