Author Topic: Wow, is that a *yellow* diamond? It's gorgeous!  (Read 9249 times)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Wow, is that a *yellow* diamond? It's gorgeous!
« on: May 28, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »
That is what a friend of mine said to me today when she saw my ring.  I hanging out with my friend and kind of helping out since she had a baby not to long ago.  Our sons are about nine months apart in age but play wonderfully together.  One of her friends stopped by drop something off and they began to admire my ring.

My friend said she had never seen a yellow diamond in person.  Her friend made a comment about how it reminded her of something she saw in a museum.

That made me smile and love this ring all the more.  I'm not your run of the mill gal.  I am a little quirky and enjoy being a bit "different"  Colorless diamonds don't do much for me.  I use them in my earrings, but in general I am not a fan for myself.

Ever since I saw my first colored diamond, I was hooked.  It was a beautiful gray marquise stone.  I soon after saw some natural blue and yellow stones.  I knew I wanted one, but never thought I would get my dream.

David helped fill my dreams.  I sent an e-mail on Sunday after I got back from church and to my surprise, I received a reply that afternoon with pictures of a beautiful stone.  I was sold pretty much instantly.

In talking to and e-mailing with David, I always felt like he was a straight forward kind of guy.  The service he gave me was outstanding.

So when I asked him if this SI1 stone was eye clean and he told me it was, I felt I could believe him.  Now I have eagle eyes and can find a tiny spider across the room 20+ feet away.  Drives my husband mad.  This means many times what others find eye clean, I won't.

I totally admit to looking at this stone in all lighting conditions with my loupe at my side to help me see if what I am seeing is the inclusion or something else.  I have SI1 and SI2 stones that I don't find to be eye clean.  It takes me 2 seconds from over a foot a way to find the inclusions.  I obviously didn't want a main stone to be like this.

I've had this ring in my hands for almost 4 days now and I can vouch that it is extremely eye clean.  It truly is the most eye clean SI1 I have owned.  I can only find a small part of the inclusion with my eyes in my oddly lit bathroom.  And I mean it is oddly lit, I have never been anywhere else with such unnatural lighting.  And in order to see the inclusion I do have to hold the ring in a way that I doubt I would see while wearing it while squinting with one eye totally closed.

I am making a huge point about this for a reason.  I have had people claim to have eye clean stones to show me and it never fails to shock them with how quickly I can find inclusions in person w/o a loupe. 

So let me tell you when David says a stone is eye clean, he definitely means it.  My husband could never find the inclusion in any lighting at all and couldn't find it really well with the loupe either.  I make no bones about that it is easy to spot when you focus to the correct depth in the stone, but he doesn't spend much time looking through a loupe so I would say he's your average user.

I am a very picky and sometimes demanding customer at times.  I expect honesty from a seller and I expect great customer service or I am not happy.  When I am happy I like to shout it to the hills though.  I've been known to write more letters of gratitude than I have negative for receiving great customer service.  I reward it by sharing my story as much as possible as well as returning for business when I can.  I am highly loyal when treated right.

So you can expect an honest, friendly and awesome customer service from DBL.  He has my loyalty for as long as I am able to purchase from him!  I don't mean just colored diamonds either.  I have a list of future projects with even colorless stones for earrings and he will be the first I call without a doubt.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Awestruck

Re: Wow, is that a *yellow* diamond? It's gorgeous!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 07:03:30 AM »
A lovely stone and I think radiants have fabulous sparkle. Enjoy !
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »
Funny you mentioned the sparkle.  Today I was with a friend of mine and I showed her the ring.  She's a gem lover like myself and I knew she would appreciate it.  She couldn't take her hands off of it.  She said she's seen a few radiants (not such a popular cut here) but none that sparkled the way this one did.  She said something along the lines of all she could see were the sparkles and that the facets were just lost in the sea of sparkle. 

I have to agree, even in low lighting radiants just seem to pick up on what little light is available and just sparkle away.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:01:33 AM »
Hm. Actually, methinks a certain guy has an eye for that... ;D

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:17:35 AM »
LOL, so true!!!  I actually said to her that she needs to check out this place because he has an eye for beautiful stones!  I don't know how often she is on the internet but she at least wrote down the DBL website. 

I think I have her wanting her own yellow diamond.  She also loved the setting and thought it was all so beautifully done.  What made me laugh was she called over a few more of our friends to show off the ring for me  ;D
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:05:08 AM »
First yellow diamond I ever say in real life was in David's office! I was hooked.

I've seen a few in the UK since, but nothing to touch the ones David picks. Yours is stunning, and I love the setting.
Jen
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:05:40 AM by Mrs Mitchell »
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 02:21:38 PM »
They are easy to get hooked on, aren't they?

So I have to add to this about the clarity.  I was absolutely wrong about this being mostly eye clean.  Now when I got the stone I saw a little bit of the dark spot like in the first picture.  That's what I thought I was seeing.

So Saturday I went shopping and walking by a jewelry store and they offered to clean my ring.  I can't ever pass up a good ultrasonic cleaning and I am sure I am not the only one.  I don't know this store from another but they are a chain so I figured why not.

Sunday I took some pictures since it was sunny out.  I realized my ring was dirty from my friend touching it up so much at church, so I let it soak in some cleaner I have at home.

in the mean time I took some pictures and look at the following two posted.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:02:10 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 02:29:53 PM »
The first was an original picture I took.  Not a bad little inclusion if it was that, eh?

The 2nd was AFTER the cleaning at the store.

So what I assume is that there was some black gunk that maybe got on the stone at some point during setting or whatever that started to spead as it got cleaned.  That might be a whole other question about ultrasonic cleaners then ;)

But after some good scrubbing on my part check it out now...

(sorry we were busy yesterday or I would've posted this)

I would say that David is beyond conservative when it comes to grading a stone.  I plan on going to a trusted jeweler that I have used for well over a decade now to get them to clean it up and make sure all the black gunk is gone tonight.   And yes, I am a little mad that a store can make my stone look worse by cleaning it.  Next time they try to lure me in with opened doors I am running  ::)
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:57:51 PM »
Interesting! I wonder how they did it?! I wonder if they did it on purpose... ;)

It really is a beautiful diamond. Even with the black stuff on it, it was lovely.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 03:09:14 PM »
I so agree, even with that little black stuff it was a beautiful stone.

I admit I have no idea what they did to the ring to clean it.  I heard the usual cleaner sounds that I normally hear at stores, but I was looking at some colored amethyst they had.  I was just wasting time while they cleaned.  We all know jewelers do offer the free cleaning to see if you buy something LOL

But my back was turned to the guy who cleaned it for me.  I just thought ultrasonic cleaners would be better than that!

Now that the black is gone, I think I can see the feather that David was talking about.  Since it is so clear I doubt I will ever see it with my own eyes.  I will look again after I take it to the place I've gone to before and do trust them to clean it up.  I know they will be happy to do it for me.  Plus I need some of their cleaner too.  For some reason theirs works far better than any other cleaner I've gotten or bought.  I just tried one I got for free a few months ago, and it stinks by comparison.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline ebedner

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »
It is such a beautiful diamond - congrats to you again.  I know how you feel about diamonds with color.  I love them too and can totally trust David's opinion on a stone's clarity and color.

That is strange what they did to your diamond after cleaning...  I wonder if their solution is dirty and some of the floating gunk got lodged in there.  So glad it is clean again!  :)
My very own DBL piece is coming soon! 4/18/10 Can't get here soon enough!!  :D

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
I did take it to a trusted jeweler.  I have one I go to for watches and another I used for my earrings starting when I was in my early 20s since no one else at that time made them so small and still eye clean.  The one who made my earrings for me was closed at 6 so I went to the other.  They are good but really cater to richer older ladies, but they do lovely work and are very trustworthy with my slightly expensive watches.

Anyway I went to them and told them the story.  She looked at it under the microsope for me and saw some reddish looking gunk (not gray-black as it looked to me).  

Ebedner, she thought the same thing.  That maybe the solution was gunky or possibly the machine wasn't working as well as it could.  So she cleaned it up and double checked it all under the microsope for me to make sure it was all clear.  

I swear lately my faith in jewelers locally has totally diminished.  I suppose it is good I've found who I can trust with my older stuff and my watches, but dang this really has made me sad lately.  Obviously I know where to stick with new items ;)

For the record, she loved the stone and said it was positively beautiful.  They had two yellows on cosignment, but not their usual thing to sell.  But she raved over this stone and said even when it was slightly dirty it was gorgeous to her.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:46:57 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 03:40:10 AM »
Reddish gunge in a jeweller's shop sounds suspiciously like jeweller's rouge (polishing compound). It is quite sticky, and can look blackish in thin layers. I wonder if there was some rouge in the tank, after cleaning a recently polished piece, or if the person who handled your ring had some rouge on his/her hands, and ended up touching the stone.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 07:33:31 AM »
Thanks OMC!  I knew she called it something, but since right after that I had to pick up fresh fruits & veggies I forgot.  I admit I didn't pay attention to the guy I handed it to, so I can't begin to guess what he had on his fingers. 

Reminds me I should look at my anniversary band to see if that one looks gunky too since they cleaned it at the same time.  I wouldn't be shocked if I saw some gunk on it too. 
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
Maybe you should buy an ultrasonic? That way, you won't have to let them out of your sight again, even for a moment.

I use mine two or three times a week and it really does keep rings looking as wonderful as when you first opened the fed-ex box. I have a few step cut stones and they are a nightmare to clean, so the ultrasonic is a real friend of mine. It's pretty much the only cleaning I ever do...

Jen

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »
Jen do you have a good recommendation for an ultrasonic?  I think I am going to get one myself sometime soon.  It would be better than dealing with this again.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 06:02:05 AM »
My best tip would be to ask your dentist (or optician). That's where mine came from, when he was upgrading! I don't know what brand it is, it's pretty old and battered and no label left intact.

Sharper Images ultrasonic is popular, but not sure where you'll find that in the UK. Have a look on ebay or do a google search, but avoid the little battery operated ones you get in jewellery stores. The professional ones work best, and if the tank is heated, so much the better. Let me know if you don't find one and I'll ask my dentist for the details.

Be very careful with pave and always empty the tank through a fine sieve, just in case a stone has come loose. Not suitable for emeralds, opals, pearls or other soft gems, but you probably know all this...

Jen

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Thanks so much!  That gives me something to look into!  I somehow didn't realize Sharper Image was still around.  All of ourse closed and lost out to Brooksteone.

Very good point about the emptying with a sieve, I wouldn't have thought of that myself!  I'll start looking around and see if I need to wait until August to buy (when I start doing some in home daycare for someone I know) if I find a more costly one.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 10:02:51 AM »
Also look at jewellery supplies stores. My "local" (yeah, I know, sad) had an offer last month for a professional type 1.8 litre tub at 250. Which is not bad at all.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »
Thanks too OMC for your suggestion.  I still haven't gone to our local one for a new loupe so that might be a good thing to look at too while I am there.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Geena1

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 07:26:50 PM »
I've wondered about this, also.  About half the time, when a jeweler offers to put my item in the ultrasonic cleaner, the item comes out still looking dirty...better than before but not clean by no means...and oftentimes there is moisture on it too, so I don't get what I'd consider a really clean piece.

I do a better job with a childs' soft toothbrush and mild liquid soap, I think, than when this happens.

But, I have well water with minerals in it, so the water must always leave a residue on the jewelry.  But, still I usually refuse a cleaning when offered by a store.  Any comments on this would be appreciated, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 07:29:00 PM by Geena1 »

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
i got my Bransonic ultrasonic cleaner from ebay for around $40.  i put warm water GreenClean (which is an all purpose cleaner like Mr. Clean), and sometimes i add ammonia, it gets them pretty darn clean, but the professional jewelry store ultrasonics have gotten my ER really really clean.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2010, 04:37:04 AM »
Geena, if you can find de-ionised water for a final rinse, that should help. You can buy it in car accessory stores, it's used for topping up car batteries.

Alternatively, you can clean using pure alcohol, then use a puff of canned air (available in PC stores for cleaning electronics) to get rid of any moisture.

I spend way too much time thinking about this. I blame the step cuts. They show every spot. Pretty, though!

Jen

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 07:21:59 AM »
Geena, if you can find de-ionised water for a final rinse, that should help. You can buy it in car accessory stores, it's used for topping up car batteries.

Alternatively, you can clean using pure alcohol, then use a puff of canned air (available in PC stores for cleaning electronics) to get rid of any moisture.

I spend way too much time thinking about this. I blame the step cuts. They show every spot. Pretty, though!

Jen

Wow, you're pretty hardcore Jen!  ;D
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »
I am aware that I'm coming over as slightly obsessive here...

;D