Author Topic: How to care for Pearl Necklace  (Read 20705 times)

Offline Trinkette

Re: How to care for Pearl Necklace
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »
 :sign7:

Offline Aurora

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »
Water does nothing at all to pearls. After all, they grew in the water...

The problem is the silk used for stringing; if it doesn't dry quickly, it can rot, and as you can imagine it's easy for the part of string that is inside the pearl not to dry completely for a looong time. The silk can look dirty for a number of reasons, not least that silk tends to stain when it's wet; restringing is not expensive.

Incidentally - while I share the advice on fruit juice and vinegar (acidic substances that can dissolve the aragonite in the pearl), the advice about detergents is vague. Washing up liquid is just fine; products containing bleach, enzymes or other oxidizersu (powder detergent for washing machine and the like) may affect the colour, and acidic products (limescale remover) are dangerous.

I found reading this very interesting. Where i got my current wedding ring resized, i get free cleanings on all my jewelery. I have a very unique pearl ring that was my mothers, that she had basically all my life, and was left to me when she passed in 08. Anyways, everytime i go there, he says "Well this is a pearl that's obviously been worn and damaged in water" It is highly offensive because i've been there several times, and he always says this, and i always have to mention it is a 20 year old ring.

So does water really bear no ill will to pearls?

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 06:17:05 PM »
Nope. At least, not at normal temperature and pressure. However, the pearl in your photo looks as if it has been stripped of the nacre that covers it and the underlying bead (which is man made from mother-of-pearl, usually) is exposed. This could have happened because of the exposure to high temperatures, acids or mechanical abrasion.

The age BTW is totally irrelevant: some of the most famous pearls have been around for several hundreds of years.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 12:46:10 PM »
What a pretty ring! I'm sorry that the pearl has been damaged (and that the jeweler upsets you every time), but I think OMC is right. The lustrous layer of nacre has been stripped or worn away somehow. Happened to one of my pearl studs too. Only one, which I thought was odd, but whatever.

Anyway, if it's too sentimental to mess with and you're happy with it just as it is, then no problem. If you'd like it restored on the other hand, you'd need a new center pearl. Either way, it's a beautiful design and a lovely memento.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »
I see young women wearing pearl earrings even necklaces while swimming in treated pools all the time. Drives me crazy... pool chemicals will damage pearls (not to mention the string and metal clasp).

Aurora, you have a lovely token of your mother's love. I am sure you will always cherish your ring. I wouldn't feel insulted by the jeweler's words; it sounds as if he is just trying to educate you about your piece (although, as already written, certainly, "plain," unheated, water would not damage a pearl). Many professionals would not bother to say anything.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »
Your ring is very lovely!  I am sorry that the jeweler made you feel bad.  I find a lot of them say things in hope that you will buy/fix from them.  Usually it's a turn off for me.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline lyleneil

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 03:04:20 AM »
If you wear your pearls out to a formal event or dinner, make sure you remove your pearls as soon as you get home. Because a pearl is a much softer material than a diamond or other stones. Pearls can be scratched easily. They should be stored in a soft place. Avoid putting pearls next to diamond or gemstones jewelry.