Author Topic: How to care for Pearl Necklace  (Read 20704 times)

Offline candy23

How to care for Pearl Necklace
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:47:14 AM »
How to care for Pearl Necklace - please advise

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: How to care for Pearl Necklace
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:54:23 AM »
Avoid perfume and cosmetics - put the pearls on last.

Clean with a soft lint-free cloth (ideally silk).

DO NOT wash - the silk string holding the pearls together may rot and break.

Restring every couple of years of wear (out of prudence; my mother's pearls haven't been restrung in 20 odd years, and they are still doing fine, but they were worn three or four times a year!).

If the clasp has stones and requires thorough cleaning, use a steamer holding the pearls as far away from the steam as possible; ideally leave it to a professional.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:49:59 PM »
Wear them often; natural body oils are good for them.

OMC, 20 years... I'd restring! On my wedding day, my Dad gave me a three-strand Mikimoto bracelet that had been my mother's. The bracelet had remained, unused, in a dark box for almost 20 years. Prior to that, my mother had worn it just a handful of times. Anyway, minutes before my walking down the aisle, the bracelet broke. Luckily, the knots saved everything and we were ale to find the one wayward pearl.

Reminds me, I STILL need to have it restrung. To this day, I've never worn the bracelet.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »
A good friend of mine married into an aristocratic English family and had the use of the family jewels, many of which were pearls.

Her grandmother in law passed on this little tip for pearls - you take them out of the vault the evening before you want to wear them, then wear them in bed that night. They'll regain a little more lustre from contact with skin. Wipe them with a cloth in the morning and you're good to go.

It actually works, but yeah - make sure they don't need re-strung!

Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:09:55 PM »
This is really interesting.  I had no idea about wearing the pearls more being better for them.  I have a set myself I wore at my wedding.  It isn't a string, but on a WG chain there are three together in clusters like this oOo.  I think there are 5 clusters (imagine done similar to DBTY necklaces just with pearls).  I wear them with pearls on illusion wire and swarovski crystal earrings.  I always worry about damaging the pearls, but maybe I'll wear them more just to keep them 'shiny'
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:12:09 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:38:07 AM »
Someone told me years ago that you should always keep your pearls wrapped in a piece of real silk so as to keep the sheen on them.
I have a special string of pearls which once belonged to my Mother and I keep them wrapped in silk. Even though they`re many years old, they still look good.
She always said when you`re getting ready to go out that your pearls should be the last thing you put on before you leave and the first thing you take off when you return, so as to avoid contact with perfume or makeup removers.
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline sixselena

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:28:54 AM »
Be careful not to dip pearls in water or wear them while bathing, as water can weaken the silk thread. Do not leave them in direct sunlight or expose them to high temperatures. If pearls happen to come into contact with substances such as vinegar, fruit juices or detergents, immediately wipe that substance off.

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 09:29:40 AM »
Interesting Selena. I never knew that.

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 05:20:11 PM »
i didn't know that either. I have a double strand of pearls that i got when working at a mall jewelry store. not the nicest quality, but okay. last time I wore them I noticed the thread looked dirty. I never thought about restringing before. maybe silk darkens over time? or it was the black velvet box it was in? or maybe I just need to bath more often?  ;D
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 05:51:35 PM »
Okay now I am curious.  Is water inherently bad for pearls?  Mine are set in white gold on a chain so no silk cord to worry about.  I am totally just curious.

I rarely wear mine, though I should get them out more.  I personally love them and was so happy when I found them for my wedding over a decade ago.  It was one of the few things I bought myself for the wedding :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:51:52 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »
Water does nothing at all to pearls. After all, they grew in the water...

The problem is the silk used for stringing; if it doesn't dry quickly, it can rot, and as you can imagine it's easy for the part of string that is inside the pearl not to dry completely for a looong time. The silk can look dirty for a number of reasons, not least that silk tends to stain when it's wet; restringing is not expensive.

Incidentally - while I share the advice on fruit juice and vinegar (acidic substances that can dissolve the aragonite in the pearl), the advice about detergents is vague. Washing up liquid is just fine; products containing bleach, enzymes or other oxidizersu (powder detergent for washing machine and the like) may affect the colour, and acidic products (limescale remover) are dangerous.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 08:18:49 AM »
Thanks OMC.  I was really wondering about the water since I knew they came from water.  But you always hear the warnings if you know what I mean so I wondered if their home protected them in a way that makes regular water bad. 

I don't know why I asked, but it started to make me go "huh?" and I had to be sure.

I think I will have to dig out my pearls this weekend and find something good to wear at church or something so I can enjoy them more.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline DBLrocks

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 01:50:55 AM »
@oldmancoyote

That's a helpful tips. It is  also important if you keep your jewelry in a safe jewelry box after you use.

Offline NolaD

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 07:54:01 AM »
@oldmancoyote

That's a helpful tips. It is  also important if you keep your jewelry in a safe jewelry box after you use.

Definitely!  It's super important to keep pearl jewelry away from any diamond jewelry or hard gemstone jewelry.
Pearls are pretty delicate compared to diamonds and other hard gemstones.  You don't want your pearl jewelry to be worn down, scratched or chipped in it's jewelry box! 
Always make sure you store your jewelry safely and soundly.

Happy pearl wearing dahhhling :) :icon_queen: :icon_queen: ;D

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »
Well I have to say thanks to this thread I did dig out my pearls (not literally).  I decided I need to wear them more often because people really liked them a lot.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 11:58:10 AM »
Count me in, Squiggly.  I've been wearing my pearls to bed every night since they came home with their new, gorgeous DBL clasp because of this revisit.  I plan on wearing them to pick up my DH this Saturday night, with clasp at the 4 o'clock.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:58:44 AM by ah2bqat »
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 07:47:39 PM »
what DBL clasp?  :didimiss:
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline selenaveith

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 04:57:02 AM »
The best way to clean a pearl necklace is prevention, but sometimes you must clean the necklace. With care, a pearl necklace can enhance the beauty of its wearer for many years. The task of cleaning pearls should occur after each wearing. The wearer should purchase a cloth used exclusively for cleaning pearls.

Offline NolaD

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 09:14:20 AM »
Also, you can clean your pearl jewelry using a soft bristled brush and some minor detergent or simply soak it in a soapy solution.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:19:11 AM by NolaD »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 09:35:13 AM »
...as long as the pearls aren't strung...

Offline selenaveith

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 05:21:58 AM »
Spritz on any hair and or body sprays before you put on your pearl necklace.Wipe them off. When you take off your pearl necklace, use a soft cloth to gently wipe away the body oils that can build up, causing your pearls' shine to dull.
Your pearls will stay cleaner if you put them on after you've applied your makeup and perfume.Don't use abrasive cleaners or rub pearls with abrasive cloth. Both can wear away the nacre coating, leaving you with a plain looking bead.

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »
pooh, i thought i was so clever because i've been cleaning my strand pearl necklaces with baby shampoo and warm sudsy  water.  they're pretty long and i've spilled food and stuff on them, they look GREAT after i clean them, but i suppose the silk issue makes my way a no-no huh?  :(

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »
As long as you dry them off carefully, it's fine - at the end of the day, silk blouses or dresses can and do get washed - not only dry cleaned. But if the stringing is close and the pearls "sit" on a portion of thread preventing it from drying off quickly, then it may get into trouble.

Offline cruzxsteel

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 09:24:28 AM »

1. Follow this little piece of advice I received from the jeweler who sold me my pearls: when dressing, pearls are the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off.

2. Protect them from products. Spritz on any hair and or body sprays before you put on your pearl necklace.

3. Wipe them off. When you take off your pearl necklace, use a soft cloth to gently wipe away the body oils that can build up, causing your pearls' shine to dull.

4. Wear them often. The luster of your pearl necklace will only get more beautiful with repeated wear.

5. Store them carefully. Keep your pearls in a lined jewelry box away from other jewelry such as gemstones, which can scratch a pearl's delicate surface.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:25:41 AM by annie1 »