Author Topic: A Study of Bow Ties- do you like a "Formal Diamond"  (Read 9278 times)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: A Study of Bow Ties- do you like a "Formal Diamond"
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 10:05:11 PM »
Interestingly here's a "seven main" pavilion facet bottom, while the top has 8 Top corners- as does a round brilliant.
To my eye, the overall effect on the pattern is less different between the 7 and 8 top corner, as compared to the differences in bottom design
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:06:35 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 03:21:09 AM »
...which is not surprising when one thinks of the area these 7 or 8 crown facets take, compared to the 6 or 7 pavillion mains...

Offline NolaD

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 08:30:32 AM »
I think that if you don't notice the bowtie, it's not a big deal.
Most of the time, if the stone is mounted, you can't really tell if it's a bowtie or if you can just see the band from underneath the stone.
However, sometimes, the bowtie can be really dark and can really detract from a stone.

In my opinion, hearts and arrows diamonds are not only cheesy, but they are usually no where near as "perfect" as they are supposed to be.  I've seen so many poorly cut hearts and arrows diamonds!!

I always feel like the whole hears and arrows thing is a big marketing scheme to get us to buy ridiculous looking stones.
 ::)

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 10:58:15 AM »
Nola - welcome!

The biggest issue with H&A is that there is no true standard - people call H&A whatever they like, with the results that you have noted (i.e. they look like poor quality glass)