Author Topic: Do you have a dream tiara?  (Read 1502733 times)

Offline saqsay1

Do you have a dream tiara?
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »
while reading through one of the other posts. some of you folks were talking about wanting a real tiara. well i to have always wanted a real tiara. so today i was looking at pictures of some online. i think the royals have the nicest ones, but i can dream can't i?
anyway, i was wondering if anyone else out there had a favorite 'dream' tiara?

this one is one of my favs. Princess Margaret wore it at her wedding.
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline saqsay1

Re: Do you have a dream tiara?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
close up
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline greeneyedbass

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »
I've always liked the Spencer family tiara that Lady Diana wore when she married Prince Charles.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
Hummm, I'm not really up on tiaras... on the other hand, some of my pets seem to be quite well versed on the subject.  ;)

I'll research and get back to you. Meanwhile, Red the Bull makes this contribution:

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:10:44 PM »
oh come now trinkette, weren't you one of the ones who wanted a tiara?  >:D

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:38:40 PM »
Yes... however, as I cruise the tiara stores, I've yet to find one that works for me.  ::)

Actually, I've come to the conclusion that tiaras are an interesting lot all around. Inevitably, what looks splendid in the display case (or on the auction block), looks not-so-splendid on the head. Really, I LOVE looking at tiaras as art in of themselves. Yet, to me, they never look as beautiful when they are worn. So many times, they look unbalanced or awkward, perched atop someone's head. Like, the tiara is wearing the person, not the other way around. And, sometimes the hairstyle works, sometimes most definitely not. Liz Taylor did a good job wearing one of hers. Actually, Princess Di looked more natural in hers as well.

I do remember one in particular. I'm trying to find a photo. May take awhile (or a few days). I'll be back with it.

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:48:31 PM »
i think i know what you mean about the tiara wearing the person. i found this photo of prince charles and the duchess of cornwall. while it looks ok, it does kind of wear her. i also wonder if this is a loaner from the queen.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »
Here it is. I've always liked French Empress Eugenie's tiara. Lovely and understated. I first saw a photo of this YEARS ago, before I had ANY real interest in jewelry. For some reason, out of ALL the tiaras, past and present, this one stays in my mind. Perhaps it is because the piece seems so perfect and appropriate for her. Isn't that the point?

Trivia note: Empress Eugenie made news all over Europe when she wore a green gown (I believe the one in the painting) that had, for the FIRST time, a green dye in the fabric that did not appear to "fade" and loose its color under gas light (ie, at night). This was big news in the world of fashion, and a HUGE coup for the dye manufacturer that came up with the pigment.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 01:05:21 PM »
 :rotflmao:
Ahahahahahaha! Saqsay, I knew the photo you meant even before it downloaded here. It always cracks me up. Her hair has to be so BIG just to "fit" the tiara...  Like Bozo hair. To me, she looks like a kid playing dress-up. Really, regardless what one thinks of that particular piece, I don't think our lady is the "tiara type."

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »
There are some beautiful antique Fabergé and Cartier tiaras that I really love. Again, I'm not sure that I'd love them as much with someone underneath them...

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 01:30:20 PM »
I love this piece because it looks strong and frail at the same time. Elegant and proud. Haughty and demure. It is heavy and weightless, with gobsmacking diamonds. In the photo, the negative spaces are just as intriguing as the gems themselves.  I just can't get enough of it. My favorite of all the diamond tiaras, I think.

Fabergé
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:50:58 PM by Trinkette »

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 01:40:26 PM »

Cartier

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »

Marie-Therese's diamond and emerald tiara

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 01:44:15 PM »

Cartier Essex

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »
it's funny you picked that emerald one. when i was looking for tiaras to post on this thread i couldn't find that one even though i had seen it recently. great choice on all of those! now if only david would make a DBL tiara hint hint nudge nudge

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 02:13:59 PM »
another emerald and diamond tiara that i wouldn't mind owning

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »
sophie the countess of wessex other tiara. i confess that i had never seen this piece before i started searching royal tiaras.

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
it also converts into a necklace and the centerstone is removable.

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »
here is the "other" spencer family tiara. Diana never wore this one, i can't understand why. i was lucky enough to see this one when i went to Althorp to see the Diana exhibition a few years ago.

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 04:13:51 PM »
oops. here it is.

Offline ebedner

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 05:34:47 PM »
This is my all time fave tiara.  I think it suits my short hair.  LOL

This was designed by Prince Albert for Queen Victoria.

And this Russian one comes in a close 2nd:

The Grand Duchess Vladimir's Tiara, c. 1870
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:37:52 PM by ebedner »
My very own DBL piece is coming soon! 4/18/10 Can't get here soon enough!!  :D

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »
:rotflmao:
Ahahahahahaha! Saqsay, I knew the photo you meant even before it downloaded here. It always cracks me up. Her hair has to be so BIG just to "fit" the tiara...  Like Bozo hair. To me, she looks like a kid playing dress-up. Really, regardless what one thinks of that particular piece, I don't think our lady is the "tiara type."

More like the bridle (and scold) type...

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 07:06:34 PM »
what do you mean by that OMC?

here is another Bozo type tiara.............

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 07:08:16 PM »
ebedner.... good choice! very tasteful and i love that assher sapphire.

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 07:09:50 PM »
i found this one on a royalty site. i think its lovely. i love the fleur de lis.