Author Topic: A great example of why we advocate the use of GIA reports  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
A great example of why we advocate the use of GIA reports
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:12:28 PM »
Why we so strongly urge folks to rely on GIA grading
This is a case where the difference in value between the incorrect report, and the GIA report is more than double.
That's right.
K/I1 x 2.25 = I/SI2

I believe the diamond has intrinsic value making it worth owning at a reasonable price for K1i- which is how we bought it.
I'm sure we can find cheaper 4+ct K/I1 diamonds.
But not horse head diamonds- especially good looking ones.

Note the substantial difference in LxW measurements

What are the implications:
For me, speaking strictly as a merchant, the main implications are of unfair advertising.
Consumers are mislead daily by sellers who know how to grade the diamonds, yet insist on publishing inaccurate grades.

I'm not saying a stone is bad because it lacks a GIA report
This is a good stone to use as an example.
I was not put off by the substandard report- because I'm a diamond grader. We purchased the diamond after convincing the cutter to price it based on my grade.

I don't blame the cutter- as they are not selling to consumers.
Buying diamonds wholesale, in the true sense- is a serious business requiring a strong stomach.
A mistake can cost thousands.
Make a few too many mistakes and you will be out of business

Consumers should not be put in that position.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Re: A great example of why we advocate the use of GIA reports
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:37:36 AM »
I think that is most shocking to me that the measurements are that far off.  I can see a color grade or two and definitely going from a SI2 to I1, but how can someone be that different in a measurement?

Is it because of the shape of a horse and measuring at different areas of the body?
Squiggly

Offline ellie10

Re: A great example of why we advocate the use of GIA reports
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 03:52:10 PM »
Whoa, that is pretty crazy! Just further proof that it is so important to have a GIA report. Among many other reasons (they're the more reliable lab, strictest grading standards, they created the 4 C's), having a GIA report can mean saving you money in the long run because they are just hands down the most accurate. I already felt this way, but no way I would buy a diamond that wasn't GIA-certified after seeing this.