Author Topic: Jewelry Caring Tips  (Read 15205 times)

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Re: Jewelry Caring Tips
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »
I use washing soda crystals, dissolved in a little hot water. If you put something aluminium (tinfoil will do) on the bottom of the container, then place the silver on top, then pour in the solution, the tarnish will float off.
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 03:40:42 PM »
...or indeed any proprietary silver cleaning product. Personally, I find the cream-based ones are those that work best (use the sponge supplied or a soft toothbrush to work the cream into the piece, then rinse and brush off if the piece is intricately worked), and "miracle dips" those that work worst, with wadding and impregnated gloves somewhere in between. YMMV.

However, the electrochemical method described by Jen is by far the most scientifically satisfying - IF you can get the silver in contact with the aluminium. With a silver-topped (or gold-backed) ring, it may be difficult.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:44:10 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline joia

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »
Well I can try, my motherīs ring has a lot of intricate work in it.  I might start with something less fancy.
Now, Jen, tell dummy here what are washing soda crystals?
You are not telling me to put my ring in sulphuric acid with Davidīs rolex are you?  LOL

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »
No, but you could try putting some washing soda crystals in sulphuric acid, and see what happens (from a safe distance).

Washing soda is also known as sodium carbonate (not bicarbonate); it produces a mildly alkaline environment which softens water and removes some stains directly. If you cannot find it, you can heat some sodium bicarbonate (commonly known as baking soda) to about 200 °C in the oven, and it will decompose into water, CO2 and sodium carbonate. Water will evaporate at 200 °C and CO2 is a gas, so the powder you'll get after the heating is effectively pure carbonate.

Offline joia

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »
As I said, you are a jewel OMC.   Now I understand what it is.   
 8)

By the way, that experiment with sulphuric acid sounds cool, do I take out Davidīs rolex before trying it?   LOL:

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 05:02:13 PM »
I don't think there's too much left of it by now, but I'd leave it in. It will add some colour to the fireworks.

(Actually, if you want to entertain your grandchildren with some real but harmless "fireworks", take a big bottle of Diet Coke or other strongly carbonated drink, pour in a packet or so of Mentos, and move away)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:04:07 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 12:19:22 AM »
and if you are looking for a big BANG, use a little dry ice and half a bottle of water in a 2 liter bottle with the top screwed on tight.  ..and stay FAR away from it as it get crazy.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline joia

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 02:19:27 AM »
I will try all these helpful hints as soon as  I have finished digging the bunker in my yard.
It is wonderful  to have such good helpful  ::) friends.... 

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 03:07:42 AM »
LOL! I love your sense of humour, Joia.

Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline joia

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 06:20:50 AM »
 :5160     "Hereīs to you kid."

charlott

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 08:05:18 AM »
Use a jewelry cloth for buffing. Regularly check for loose stones.Keep a sterling-silver polishing cloth handy for a quick wipe before wearing your jewelry. This can help you clean and shine your jewelry in a moment.

runner20

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 12:28:06 AM »
Thanks for sharing the tips.