Author Topic: What's the deal with karat platinum?  (Read 6587 times)

Offline SaoriViola

What's the deal with karat platinum?
« on: December 01, 2009, 05:13:58 PM »
i was just online looking at some jewelry and one of the pieces was listed as "karat platinum".  when i looked it up it was being touted as "better than 950 platinum". the jewelry was also way cheaper than platinum jewelry should be...

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: What's the deal with karat platinum?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 05:17:04 PM »
Run... mile... opposite... direction...

Platinum purity is measured in thousandths. Full stop. I suspect it may be platinum (or rhodium) plated silver or worse.

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:34:27 PM »
I just found this explanation:

"The combination of 58.5% platinum 41.5% cobalt and copper results in platinum with characteristics that are superior to 950 (95%) platinum. In rigorous laboratory corrosion and abrasion tests for tarnishing, Karat Platinum™ outperformed traditional 95% platinum, emerging from the tests without colorations or stains."

do you smell BS, 'cause i do.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:46:44 PM »
The bull is considerably bigger than Trinkette's Red.

I could also suggest that the combination of 70% iron, 18% chromium, 6% molybdenum, 4% nickel and 2% manganese plus carbon traces is a wonderful metal in terms of corrosion, tarnishing and abrasion resistance. Probably better mechanical properties than any platinum alloy at low temperatures. I wouldn't say it's "superior to platinum" for jewellery all the same - it's usually called "stainless steel"...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:13:12 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
Wow, it's news to me!!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 06:28:33 PM »
damn OMC, you just owned.  well played.  btw, what's trinkett's red?

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
Red is here. With special headdress.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 05:38:14 AM »
It is stainless steel, isn't it?

Please set my lovely new diamond in stainless steel, I like to have a matching set.

Well, it would match my kettle and toaster...
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:32:36 AM »
Not quite, if you mean "Karat Platinum". It's a cobalt-platinum alloy with a high % cobalt, and the equivalent platinum content of gold in 14k gold. Given the excellent resistance to tarnish and corrosion of the normal jewellery platinum alloys, I can only assume it's a way of lowering the price (or increasing the margin, or both).

The "recipe" I gave above is top-quality corrosion-resistant stainless steel. Excellent metal, but a bit too hard for much jewellery work (it won't stretch or bend enough). It will look very much like platinum-cobalt (950/50), though. ;D

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 09:35:46 AM »
Woof!   OMC, you are definitely on your game today.  I had all but forgotten Big Red.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Sparkly-OCD

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 10:35:23 AM »
I found this:

"Our Karat Platinum™ is a unique combination metal made up of 58.5% Platinum. This piece is stamped 585Pt/415CoCu."

I thought it was a plating material.  Thanks for bringing this up SaoriViola.
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.  -Mark Twain

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 11:13:19 AM »
so interesting everyone!
i've also heard people say that there's a difference in 950 plat depending on what the 5% is made up of.  anyone have any info on that?

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »
There is indeed. Iridium, Ruthenium, Palladium and Cobalt are the most used alloy metals for jewellery purposes. Rhodium is used for high-temperature resisting dies (such as those used in glass fibre manufacturing). Some notes on some of the four main alloys characteristics:

50 Iridium: most commonly used. Relatively soft, and usually needs a certain amount of cold working to harden it a bit.
100 Iridium: liked by many smiths as the best for hand fabrication. Harder than 50 Ir. Traditional (until the 1990s) US alloy, sometimes marked IRIDPLAT

50 Cobalt: Very hard, darker grey than Iridium; excellent for casting, since Cobalt gives the melt low viscosity. It can tarnish with exposure to high temperatures, and some smiths use this for decorative purposes. Otherwise it is sometimes rhodium-plated to make it bright white.

50 Ruthenium: Usually used for rings and other cold machined pieces, since it's bright white (not as much as Ir/Rh, but more than good enough) and quite hard. It's difficult to cast. This is the alloy used by a certain store with a famous blue box.

50 and 100 Palladium: Used predominantly in Japan - very soft and ductile, mainly used for casting.

If you want more info, here there is a very good overview of the above, with much greater detail and more alloys (including the thermo-sensitive alloys used for tension settings).

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »
you are a goldmine OMC, thanks for the info. very interesting!

Offline crypto_coyle79

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 08:48:38 AM »
Which alloy does DBL use?

Offline joia

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 06:00:44 AM »
Red is here. With special headdress.

Lovely Big Red.   I love him, but he still hasn´t learnt how to use his tiara properly  nevertheless  he still looks gorgeous to me.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 06:01:22 AM by joia »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 01:59:39 PM »
crypto_coyle79: I think it's 950/50 Ir, but the only one that can answer precisely is :david: