Author Topic: Local jewelry, the sad, sad tale of  (Read 12322 times)

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Re: Local jewelry, the sad, sad tale of
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 10:46:20 AM »
I think you did! Crazy, isn't it?

BTW, you picked out some mighty fine bits of bling there, girl!
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
mmmmpear.  what's a salad bowl setting?

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »
Hi SV!

"salad bowl" refers to the low setting- with a nicely curved bottom , kind of like a "bowl"
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Mikla

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »
I love, love, LOVE this salad bowl setting!  And the stones aren't too bad either!   ;)

Mikla
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 02:35:49 PM »
Oh David!  You make me melt every time...
So i just got my ears pierced with a second piercing because I have been fantasizing about some small stud earrings... not that it's the best time, AND we just got the horsey ring, so my jewelry budget has probably been extinguished, but that picture makes me crazy! 
the light brown diamond studs I got from my mother can sometimes point down a little because they're on the bigger side, and the setting sticks out a bit too far IMO.  But some smaller yellow diamonds, maybe .3 ctw, in that salad bowl setting looks like a dream...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:36:54 PM by SaoriViola »

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the salad bowl setting.  I think they're my ideal earring setting.
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 05:04:59 AM »
They are so elegant, aren't they? I think they go especially well with a coloured diamond. Lovely.
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Geena1

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 02:48:20 PM »
Re: shopping second-hand (pawnshops, coin shops, antique shops)

I also find it shocking when things are incorrectly represented such as the pendant you mentioned....But sometimes their mistakes can work in your favor, such as my recent find - a nice 18K chain to use for wearing my pendants.  The store's tag described it as 14K.  The 18K stamp was clearly visible with my loupe and the gold was yellower/brighter as typically 18K looks in comparison to 14K. I think that frequently these stores don't "do their homework" correctly (a lot of things come in and they rush rather than spend time on each piece)  In your case, it might have been deliberate misrepresentation, of course.

I used to be really honest and would point out to the merchant ("Your chain is really 18K, not 14K")  But I stopped after having enough of them raise the price on the item after I pointed the mistake out.  :( ???

So now, I keep my mouth shut and buy.  ;)

If the item is lesser (tag says 14K but the stamp clearly says 10K) I gently point it out to the clerk (To spare the next customer from buying something that has mistaken gold content) When this happens, the second-hand merchant always has gratefully thanked me.  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:49:27 PM by Geena1 »

Offline Geena1

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 03:03:19 PM »
I wanted to add that it is normal and common to see mostly junk or commercial-grade stuff when shopping second-hand.  (Speaking of stores, not second-hand on-line jewelry shopping - something I don't have experience with)

It is because most people buy junk - the average consumer views stuff sold at common mall chain jewelry stores as "good" because "it's gold & diamonds."

The fun starts when you find that hidden treasure among the junk.  One of my recent finds is a pear-shaped blue-purple tanzanite pendant set with 3 small diamonds, good deep saturated tanzanite ~ 2 1/4 carats - set in 14K white gold - gorgeous piece.  Paid $400 at a coin shop.  I showed it to several jewelers and they said that their shops would sell it new for somewhere around $3000 - $4000.  So, great finds are possible...but only if you come equipped with patience, sharp eyes and a loupe.

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 03:48:34 PM »
that's an awesome find geena!  yay!  i felt lucky about the horsehead diamond ring i found, but i don't think i could get that kind of percentage over what i paid.  nicely done.
it's so true about the junk people wear though, it's always depressing to see what people will pay for things just because they're 'diamond' or 'designer'.  the point of jewelry is to be beautiful, but honestly, it's rare.

Offline Mikla

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 04:14:07 PM »
It IS sad.  The consumer is generally not educated when it comes to jewelry, and unfortunately they're paying way too high a price.  Stores selling these low end items are still in business, so they've obviously got their marketing angle perfected!

Mikla
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline Geena1

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »
Thanks.  My percentages are usually not that good, but I am happy with having 2 or 3 "lucky finds" like that per year.  Another one was a ring I found at a pawn shop for $840 - a tan/yellow emerald-cut over 1 carat topaz with lots of sizeable VS baguette diamonds in a heavy 18K setting - custom ring for a wealthy local woman who sold it to the pawn shop because of her relationship/money problems.  Had it checked by a jeweler who told me that it was nice topaz (not citrine) and that it was a great buy.

I buy the stuff to wear, not resell.  I love the really cheap stuff too if it is beautiful - I spent $30 yesterday on a sterling ring made by a local craftsman, in it is a gorgeous pink glass cabochon that literally glows with blue flecks inside (hand blown artisan glass)  looks great on my finger near my ruby & diamond ring.  ;D

I get most lucky in small cities or towns in places such as Utah, Oregon, Montana.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:57:38 PM by Geena1 »