Author Topic: Local jewelry, the sad, sad tale of  (Read 12247 times)

Offline SaoriViola

Local jewelry, the sad, sad tale of
« on: November 04, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »
i just got back from checking out a jewelry store i hadn't been to yet and a pawn shop (hoping to find some hidden gems) but both were a massive fail. 
the jeweler was friendly, but his colored diamonds pathetic.  he was all excited about a 1.8 ct dark brown IRRADIATED stone with a noticeable CHIP on the girdle (he said he thought the chip might be a "natural".  can this be?) some of his yellow diamonds were called "natural", but none had any certifications. when i lost interest in his rings he followed me around and tried to sell me some deeply flawed freshwater pearls 50% OFF!! but they just made me sadder. sigh..
then i went to the pawn shop and it took some time to get the girl to help me, the jewelry was only slightly less than retail, and all fairly unspectacular, then i wanted to see a fleur des lis pendant labeled 14K for $180, when i flipped it around it was very clearly stamped 14KGP, when i pointed this out the girl said "no it's not." she declared that they test all their jewelry blah blah.  i left.  sigh... when oh when will i get to go to new york and look at REAL jewelry!

Offline annie1

• Administrator
Re: Local jewelry, the sad, sad tale of
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:07:50 PM »
Sorry to hear about your disappointing day of shopping.  I will admit that it's a rare day that I walk into a jewelry store, and I usually walk out unimpressed.  There are of course exceptions, but they're usually $$$$.
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear of that less than fun experience!

I hate it when members of my trade represent poorly.

Listen to this one.....
A client of ours who had a lovely Daussi ring noticed a stone missing.
They thought it would be easiest taking it to a Major" jewelry store...(starts with a J)

So, the replace the little diamond with a piece of **** stone that did not match the quality of the others in there.
But she accepted it.
Then noticed that the center diamond was rattling.
Again back to the major jeweler who completely screwed up the prongs re tipped the prongs.
Now only three of the four prongs are on the ring, and the entire ring is just about un-fixable.
I feel terrible for the consumer.
When a large jewelry store assures someone they can fix a ring, but actually have no ability whatsoever to perform quality work, the consumer looses.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
No! What will happen to the ring? Does the 'work' done on it invalidate any warranty? I feel terrible for whoever had that happen to their lovely Daussi.

Saori, the pawn shops where I live are pretty awful too, but I'm told they can be a good place to find small old cut stones. Over the next 40 years or so, I should be able to collect enough matching OMCs for an eternity band. Maybe!

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »
oh no! that's terrible, yuck, i can't stand big box jewelers.

Offline Mikla

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »
It just doesn't pay to go to any type of commodity establishment when you need quality work done.  And that doesn't just apply to jewelry.  It's terrible how some of these places stay in business by ripping unsuspecting consumers off.  So sad.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:38:07 PM by Mikla »
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 05:51:01 PM »
You know - the thing that annoys me most is that when you catch them out (on the gold plated pendant), rather than trying to save face and say "oh, I'm sorry, I must have been mistaken - it's gold plated silver" they insist it's your fault/ignorance.

No wonder the retail jewellery trade is in a severe crisis.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »
Problem is, oftentimes you don't know who is a good jeweler and who is a bad jeweler until it is too late... And, even if you "do your homework" it is no guarantee. There is a jewelry store near me that is rated a consumer favorite year after year. Friends have recommended the store to me time and time again. They have gazillions of repeat customers. Based upon all that, of course I used this store, both when shopping for a major piece (didn't purchase there phew!) and for repairing several family heirlooms. I can knowledgeably say, they were miserable to deal with on all counts, in terms of knowledge, pricing AND service. Even the owner knew better... last time I was there, I picked-up my poorly repaired and not-repaired-at-all-after six months pieces and wasn't charged a dime. That was two years ago and I've never gone back. Now, unless I use David, my "local" jeweler is 45 minutes away.

The Daussi ring story is awful. What a mess. I'm so sorry to hear this.

SV, don't let the bad pawning get you down. Keep looking and someday I'm sure you will be rewarded with a lovely surprise!  :-*

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »
 :) thanks trinkette, i'm hoping.
before i started reading DBL i really didn't know that much about jewelry or diamonds, but once my hubby started buying me jewelry for xmas, bday, etc., and then our engagement ring, i started reading more and more.  now i know whenever i go into a store within the first few moments whether they have quality or junk, and weather or not to trust the jeweler based on questions i know should be answered such a way if s/he's knowledgeable/trustworthy/etc.

Offline rio

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
David  spoils all of us with exceptional service on all levels.
Local jewelers have a huge shock coming because of the internet, and the ability  for all of us  to have  instant access to good things.
rio

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »
And thankfully, and I believe I speak for all the forum, we have found a safe haven with incredible merchandise and service. 
Life is good - DBL is better.  ;D
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 12:26:29 PM »
Ok, I had to share this.

I was and looking through a business news magazine in a coffee shop recently. I read an article about a very prestigious jeweller in the city, and an interview with the CEO. Not going to name names, obviously, but the words quality and value were used. He said they now sell from their website, so I went to look, I was curious.

Here's details on one of the rings that caught my eye. It was beautiful, but what do you think of the price?!

Cushion cut diamond set in pave set diamond split shoulders, all in platinum.
Diamond weight of centre stone: 2.09 carats
Colour/Clarity: F VS2
Diamond weight of setting: 0.29 cttw
Colour/Clarity: G VS2
Centre Cut: Cushion Cut
Side stone Cut: Round Brilliant

Yours for 39,000. That's just over $65,000.
Am I missing something?

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 12:50:49 PM »
They get excellent value out of it. Nobody said anything about the customer getting value...

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 03:10:51 PM »
So cynical,OMC!  How sad to know your remark to be spot on.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 04:36:02 AM »
ROFLMAO!!!

You've got it exactly right OMC. How silly of me - I was looking at the 'value' part all wrong!

Seriously though, does this diamond sit up and do tricks or something? I won't post a pic because their website pics are very recognisable and I don't want a libel suit, but while it was an impeccable stone, there was nothing terribly amazing about it and it isn't an internationally recognised brand where you'd pay for the big name. I just don't get it. I've seen plenty examples of local stores with stones I think are more expensive than perhaps they ought to be but this one should win prizes!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 08:01:41 AM »
It's literally preying on ignorance.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 10:17:52 AM »
It strikes me as being slightly foolish, too. At common law in Scotland (where this jeweller is trading, although they are based in England, where I don't think this applies) a buyer is entitled to rely on a seller's expertise. There is a corresponding obligation on the seller. If I'd bought that and then learned the truth, I would take that seller to court.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »
Hmm. On what basis? He described the goods correctly, I assume (or at least you'd have a hard time proving otherwise), and surely he's entitled to charge what he likes for them? He can probably point at the fact that the same stuff costs twice as much again in Bond Street...

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »
Price can be incorporated as part of the description in some situations, I think. There is a case on point, but I can't find it. I'll look later.

It's almost got me wondering if the price is an error - it's so far above anything comparable that I'm almost tempted to email and ask for more details.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:20:55 PM by Mrs Mitchell »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 04:07:29 PM »
Then sue him and with the award buy a nicer diamond?  ;D

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 04:38:21 PM »
Ok - if you put up the $65k stake, I'll split the profit with you...

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 05:04:41 PM »
I think I already have my legal hands full in recovering unpaid rent off a tenant, so I'll step aside for this time.

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 11:21:23 PM »
that sounds fun, wish i had moolah to join in!  ;)

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 03:12:35 AM »
OMC, how frustrating for you. I hope you get that sorted out before it becomes too stressful.

Saori, if we had that much spare cash, we'd be better advised just to buy a nicer diamond in the first place, I suspect. Hmmm. What to buy for $65,000? Now that would be fun!

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 09:25:17 AM »
Saori, if we had that much spare cash, we'd be better advised just to buy a nicer diamond in the first place, I suspect. Hmmm. What to buy for $65,000? Now that would be fun!

Pshhh!  Easy peasy. 

and

for my ears...

(salad bowl setting)

and throw these on for good measure

I'm pretty sure I still came in under budget.  ;)
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!