Author Topic: Is all white gold rhodium plated?  (Read 5758 times)

Offline robin

Is all white gold rhodium plated?
« on: March 01, 2007, 06:05:19 PM »
Didn't quite know where to post this, but here goes....

A few months ago, I had a sapphire ring of mine that's set in 18 kt white gold sized down by a local jeweler.

When I picked it up, the charge was $30-something, which was about twice what I expected to pay to have a ring sized (sized down by only 1/2 size).  The reason, they said, is that they had to replate the ring in rhodium.

The ring looks fine-- it's an antique reproduction, 3 sapphires set in rather elaborate filigree (an inexpensive eBay find, but I quite like it), and there seems to be no harm done by the replating.

But I wondered whether this was standard?  If not, is it bad that they replated my ring?  Will it wear off over time, and look bad?  I know I have a sterling silver item or two that's rhodium-plated, but I didn't know that WG was also treated this way.

And also, back to the cleaning question from earlier-- I'm loving the vinegar cleaning method for my diamonds.  Can I use it for this rhodium plating?  Anyone know?

Thanks to you all, founts of jewelry knowledge that you are!  :D

--Robin

Offline WM

• CDI Member
Re: Is all white gold rhodium plated?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 06:23:29 PM »
Rhodium plating makes it look nice and fresh. It does wear off over time and it is an industry standard. I don't think the vinegar will hurt it.

And $30 really is not out of line for resizing even the plainest of rings. Around here in Virginia I think it's more like $50. My platinum ring cost $70 to resize but that's not unheard of for platinum since resizing plat heats up the whole ring and therefore requires a different process to keep one part hot and the other part cooler.

Jewelry stores could hardly pay for a jeweler to spend hours there if they charged $10 a pop or something like that.

Offline robin

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 06:29:50 PM »
Thank you, WM! 

I do think that resizing around here (Dallas area) is a bit less than in your area, although this is the first ring that I've had resized in a few years. 

--Robin

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 08:17:09 PM »
You're welcome. Sometimes you just need a measuring stick to see if something is in line. This is in line, or below it actually. So that's good.

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 10:27:46 AM »
Robin, most my rings are platinum which I love! They're heavy & you never have to get them plated like WG rings.....but platinum is more expensive than WG too.

You can tell when the plating from a WG ring is wearing off.....it'll look a bit yellowish (because of the gold---gold is yellow, not white).

I do have one WG ring. I soaked all my rings in the white vinegar over night & it did not damage the plating on the WG ring.

:) Amy

Offline NolaD

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:23:47 AM »
Most white gold is rhodium plated, because without the rhodium plating the white gold has a yellowish tint. It sounds like either way you didn't get a bad deal on resizing the ring. $30 seems like quite a fair price to me.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:44:03 AM by NolaD »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 09:29:05 AM »
White gold (and gold in general) is not alloyed with rhodium in any quantity. The only platinum-group metal used for gold alloying is palladium.