Author Topic: how low can i go?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline saqsay1

how low can i go?
« on: February 28, 2007, 09:27:38 PM »
hello. i am in love with DBL's emerald cut pink halo ring. after reading through the forum, i still haven't seen the answer to the question i really want to know.
 Q: i want a large center stone but don't want to get into the obviously off color diamonds (maximum size, minimum price). so my question is this; how low on the color grade scale can i go with a pink halo ring without the center stone looking not white? J? K? lower? thanks, SAQ  :4:
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: how low can i go?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 09:46:32 PM »
Hi Saq,
I find that stones of J-K-L-M color look amazing surrounded by pink- PROVIDED the center is very well cut.
Here's a selection of halos- we have an I and J in pink halos.....
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline jewellk

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 09:49:35 PM »
Saq, check out this thread by Snooper about her J EC halo ring, which is gorgeous btw!!!!

http://coloreddiamond.info/testimonials/i-have-found-my-jeweler-for-life/0/
Mindi  :munky2:

Snooper

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:12:28 AM »
Hi saqsay1! I just posted about the color in my EC which is a J.  Honestly? In some light, it looks just as white as my G, but in other lights (bathroom, dim lighting) it looks warmer, but not like a yucky yellow.  When I compare it to my G color ER, I do see a slight color difference, but it's subtle.  Had I not compared it to my G? I would have guessed it to be a H-I.

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 10:32:15 AM »
Saqsay1, DBL only carries well-cut diamonds, so I'm confident that even if you chose a warmer diamond, it would still be gorgeous with a pink halo.

:) Amy

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 01:41:55 PM »
so you all think i could pull off a K color in the center and it would still look white? how about size? i know it is a personal preference, but i have always wanted a 2.00 ct EC solitaire. would a 2.00 to a 2.5 be to large with a halo? i do appreciate the advice..... it is hard to shop for diamonds online. SAQ :)
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:37:53 PM »
Here is a 1.64ct in a halo. 7.86 x 5.88 x 4.01. I think it looks really substantial.

Then my halo, a 1.28 which is plenty big.

The third one is a 3.01 cushion. Actually, this one looked more like 3.5 because of the 53% depth. I would not kick it out of bed. It rocks.

So basically, it's just what your comfortable with. But I think 2ct would rock in a halo.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment older than 120 days deleted by admin]

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 10:41:23 PM »
saqsay1- I forgot to add. The 1.64 is already made. You could order that, check it out and see if you want one larger.

One more and this one is 2.65ct. I'm using hand shots so you have more perspective. My finger ring size is 5.25.

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 12:44:11 AM »
i think 1.5-2 carat would be a good size...  it's huge with the halo!!  as for the color, J-K should be fine...  even L if you don't mind the slight tint in some lighting...

Snooper

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 12:59:24 AM »
I'd ask Marc or David about the color.  Maybe find one with some fluor to make it whiter??

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 10:43:48 AM »
Maybe find one with some fluor to make it whiter??

Good idea Snooper.

Offline robin

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 11:43:59 PM »
I just ordered a 1.58 VVS1/L Asscher in the pink halo.  Of course, I don't have my ring yet, but I am confident it will be substantial and lovely  :).

Although I don't get to wear it until July, apparently I'll be permitted to snap a picture or two.  So if you're willing to wait a few weeks to order your ring, you'll be able to see pics of mine.

--Robin

Offline GracefulLion

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 10:09:14 AM »
I saw that 1.64 J in the pink halo when I visited David in NY and it was both very white AND very substantial in size.  For an example of how much a halo helps in the size department, here a photo of my .80 ct rb in a halo next to my 2.21 ct FBY cushion, 2 ct faint brown cushion, and 3.45 marquise (with 51% depth!).  You can see that the halo helps the .80 ct really hold its own!!! 

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 12:14:56 PM »
I know GL!!! I was amazed at how large my 0.85 purple was with the halo. The stone alone looks larger than my sister's 1.00 round & then with the halo, it's just AMAZING! Those Halos ROCK!

Robin, I'm so glad you'll at least be able to take some pics........cuz I can't wait til July to see that ring. That's seriously MY DREAM RING! I can't wait to see it.

Snooper

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 03:33:11 PM »
Robin you bet we'll wait for the L/VVS halo!!! Congrats!!!

And I can't believe your RB halo DL looks larger than the cushion and the 3 stone!!!!

Offline CaratHead

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 10:47:08 PM »
Saq, my latest DBL baby is a K princess with 2 side K trills...it is whiter than white.  It has medium blue fluorescence.  I am always comparing it to my G engagement ring and I think it has less color than the G!  It is an amazing stone. 

I am sure that David and Marc will help you find the perfect diamond.

So many ballgames, so little time...

Offline Pinklady

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 03:48:25 PM »
My Royal A is a K. I can notice a tint when I hold it next to a G diamond. BUT, that doesn't bother me at all. It has such great cut and the colors and sparkle is awesome.  :4: