Author Topic: a fake or a real ?  (Read 4027 times)

Offline chrisje110

a fake or a real ?
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:20:49 AM »
hello,

in a gold earing from my grandmom i found a diamond a few years ago.
Today when i was looking at it the diamond felt out !!!  :( Lucky me i found it.
I was looking at the diamond its 2,0mm round stone very white color. I am not thinking its real but how can i see if its a diamond or a zirkonia fake rubisch stone.  ???

best regards chris   ::)

:david:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:22:41 AM by chrisje110 »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: a fake or a real ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
One of the easiest tests is to lay the diamond table down on a piece of printed paper (say a newspaper). Pretty much anything which is not a diamond will allow you to read the letters clearly; a diamond has such a high RI that the letters will appear blurred. However, this won't work with some diamond simulants.

For a definitive answer, go to a jeweller; they should be able to test it and tell you at least whether it is a diamond or not.

BTW - a 2 mm diamond is probably about 3 points (0.03 ct); it's not worth a lot, so it may well be real, even if the jewel is not very important/expensive
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:01:49 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 01:37:09 PM »
OMC, you are always a fount of information and esoteric or obscure data.  :notworthy:
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline chrisje110

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 04:56:24 AM »
thank jou guys, I did the newspaper test and my diamond didnt let the letters trough so I think that its a real one  :4: :sultan:

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:43:37 AM »
 :icon_thumleft:

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 01:20:08 PM »
Well, since it's a little heirloom diamond, and it worked itself loose, would you think about setting in in a ring perhaps? It would be nice if you could wear it, maybe.

I know you said it's small, but a gent's ring with a small diamond accent can look fantastic. Or maybe set it into a band with some coloured diamonds of a similar size? Just a thought, but it might be a nice way to start your coloured diamond collection without spending a fortune.

Glad you managed to catch the diamond when it fell out!

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »
I'm verey glad it turned out ok chris!

if you'd like us to re-set the diamond, we'll be happy to do it!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline NolaD

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 09:16:13 AM »
Lucky you managed to catch the diamond when it fell out! If you're still not sure, here are a few more tests you can try: breath on the stone and see if it fogs up. It it's a real diamond it shouldn't have any condensation on it. Also, hold it up to your tongue for a moment. If it stays cold - and makes your tongue cold - it's probably a real diamond because diamonds are great heat conductors and absorb temperature.