Author Topic: Yoo Hoo-GIAGIRL, over here! Wedding dresses for short, zaftig Ah2bqat  (Read 42143 times)

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Re: Yoo Hoo-GIAGIRL, over here! Wedding dresses for short, zaftig Ah2bqat
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 03:51:46 AM »
Hmmm, for romance, you can't beat that ballgown shape! The silhouette is just classic fairy tale. I love that look.

Just a thought, but you could perhaps cover the tattoo with a veil of sorts. My friendwore a ballgown type dress and a short, plain veil. The veil was attached to the back of her hair,  under a chignon, so that it was falling from the back of her neck. She wore it draped lightly over her shoulders, covering a very cute tattoo of Buggs Bunny! It was a really elegant look.

Jen
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:52:38 AM by Mrs Mitchell »
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2009, 07:39:40 PM »
The one that you think is too tight around the rib cage could be ordered a size larger and then they could alter it around that.  That dress is pretty reasonable too, from what I remember.

This one is nice too.

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2009, 07:59:53 PM »
This dress is a very pale blue...maybe a shade or two lighter than your diamond.  Do you like this one? 

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2009, 09:38:06 PM »
Those mermaid dresses are gorgeous, but too slinky for me.  If you have any butt at all, that's all the entire party will see while saying your vows. ::)

I do like the one with the pictureframe neckline.  That is always so flattering, and the pearls would look great with it. 

What do you think about this one? http://www.bridalonlinestore.com/Collection/product-page.asp?q=Wedding+Dress&SKU=Gwenivere&i=97871297810#Page_1

They have both a matching lace bolero or a matte duchesse satin jacket for reasonable, too.  And as a 'Made in America' company, I think I could be more secure with their accountability for product quality than a similar company in a foreign country.  I've been looking at some of the Pronovias and San Patrick gowns for resale, and either the dressmakers who are doing the alterations are similarly handicapped in tailoring skills, or what you get isn't what you see in the pictures.  ???

I've always secretly wanted a ballgown type of wedding gown, Jen; but can't get the gumption together to do a formal wedding.  If we could just skip the whole fomal event thing and just throw a killer party  where I could play dress-up, then I'd be in hog heaven... ;D

My first wedding in Vegas was a hoot, but my sister and her family, and none of my friends could make it.  I learned the wedding was easy, very scarey, but easy; but with no friends and little family to celebrate with,  it was almost a little sad.  Although my Mom was beside herself to be her daughter's Matron of Honor.  That was cool.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2009, 09:41:56 PM »
I like that one.  Do we have to stop looking, now?  Let's keep looking!!!!  I happen to be looking right NOW!!! HAHAA!!!

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »
Don't stop! :freakout:  Dress in bush isn't dress in hand.  You might find one that drops me dead.

I'm not settled yet.  This is good price, looks good in picture, but maybe that St.Pucchi will come up on resale or one of the Pronovias ones I really like.  Although the pix IRL don't look anywhere near as good as the pro shots.  I expect that since most real girls aren't all 6' tall and weigh 85 lbs.  Still, fabric should drape in a recognizible fashion and the overall dress should match the picture without having to take 3 or 4 looks.  Disconcerting, for sure.

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2009, 12:02:39 AM »
This dress is a very pale blue...maybe a shade or two lighter than your diamond.  Do you like this one?  

This dress is amazing in person.  It does not look as rich on the model as it does IRL.
Don't worry...I am still looking.

BTW! St Pucchi sample sale.  $495!!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:03:14 AM by GIAGirl »

Offline Mikla

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2009, 07:49:51 AM »
Good find, GG!  That St. Pucchi dress is a stunner, and for $495?  If I was in the market, that baby would be mine!

Mikla
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2009, 04:14:46 PM »
Where is this sample sale?  How on earth did you find it, and did you see it in person?  Size, color? Other details?

Amazing find, GG! :Dancing_biggrin:

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2009, 11:34:47 PM »
I was just monkeying around on their site and came across it.  I own the blue dress....I wish I had been to the sample sale in person!!!!!!   

http://www.stpucchi.com/sampleSale.html

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2009, 02:32:27 AM »
OH MY.  You  OWN a St. Pucchi?  :wow:  And that one is a stunner if you've got a good figure.  And it's BLOOO.   :hail: :hail: :hail:
I, unfortunately, am thickening thru the mid section and exercise is not significantly helping. :tantrum:  Altho it probably would do more good if I could do it every day.  My gym is half an hour away so it's a 2 hour excursion every day I go, and throws me in rush hour traffic since I work from 6 am to 3 pm to almost match my east coast compadres.  I guess I need to up my walking on non-gym days.  :1224:  I doubt meandering around a two block radius with the cat is much of a caloric expenditure, even tho it takes a significant amount of time.  ;D

But I did find the sample sale.  Thanks for the link, GG.  

This is probably my favorite on the sample sale, altho at a size 10 I'm a bit concerned for the bust; but Glory Osky, it's got sleeves, a ballgown shape a scalloped hem, altho no lace, and is BLOOO.  
  Never mind the sample sale price of only $4595.  :faintthud:

Naturally, most of my favs are from the 2010 previews, except that one empire one you found and check out Z298, it's pretty nice, too, but not as elaborate .

I admit to really liking the chiffon overlays with drapery panels off the shoulders or a central panel off the center of the back.  That, or a lace overlay.   Which brings a lot of the Pronovias dresses into focus.

One of the things I liked about that Gwen I listed earlier, aside from the price, is the horizontal lines made by the lace overlay - very flattering for the figure impaired, and the back A-lines right off the hip so the butt is not emphasized.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 02:55:35 AM by ah2bqat »

Offline GracefulLion

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »
I was just monkeying around on their site and came across it.  I own the blue dress....I wish I had been to the sample sale in person!!!!!!   

http://www.stpucchi.com/sampleSale.html

Ummmm..... is there a reason you own a wedding dress GG??????

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »
I was engaged about 3 years ago.  It is not a St. Pucchi, but a Saison Blanche.  It is a really pretty dress.  I hate that I cannot wear it.  The picture does not even do it justice.  It looks like a piece of art in person.

Ah2bqat, see is you can see what the real size is on that St. Pucchi is....all wedding dresses run super small.

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2009, 12:41:41 AM »
It claims a 10, which gives me pause because St. Pucchi run so small.  I'd be much more comfortable with a 12.  I don't like the idea of letting it out.  You can frequently see seam lines in satin.  The holes just don't dissappear.  The bust would be the big problem.  I need to work from that point and take in a bit further down the track.

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »
I would not get caught up in the name.  Someone told me that they are basically made in the same (sweat) shops like tv and electronics.  I would just look for natural fabircs...like silk and then go see what these look like in person if you like them. 

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »
I am hearing what you say, GG.  I'm finding that a lot of the more affordable gowns are not made of natural fiber silk; but poly blends.  They really are better determined when seen in person.

I like the one with the dropped wait sash and little jacket.  Much as I like the Grecian style draperies in some of the Pronovias line, I keep having to kick myself to remember I'm haven't seen twenty in over 30 years,nor a size 2 in close to 8 years, and never have been tall unless compared to Lilliputians.   :1087:

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2009, 07:15:36 PM »
I think these are both silk and affordable.  They are by Justin Alexander.  Some of his stuff is over the top and sort of 80's looking...but these look pretty up to date. 

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2009, 07:24:59 AM »
Here`s a different idea to having a bolero jacket or similar. It`s a dress with a matching top which covers arms and shoulders but can be taken off to reveal a strapless gown for evening.
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline Mikla

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2009, 07:28:45 AM »
I like that!  I don't recall seeing anything like that when I was looking for a dress.  Great find!

Mikla
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2009, 07:30:44 AM »
That's lovely!
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2009, 09:40:21 AM »
Truly! Can you reveal designer or source Awestruck?  I'd like to find some more detail about it.

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2009, 10:14:35 AM »
For sure A2H
It`s www.lastminuteweddingdresses.com
Look under bridal dresses and then the sub heading of couture dresses. The dress itself is called " Alana ".
The dresses are made in Portugal.
Bear in mind the sizes and prices are in UK measurements and `s.
The dress comes as standard in white or ivory but they also have a made to measure service which enables you to have it made in any colour you choose. They have a colour chart and you can also order swatches.
Happy browsing !
Lynne
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline cherrypie

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2009, 12:23:50 PM »
Gorgeous dress, Lynn.

Carol   8)

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
Cool!  Thanks so much for the information, Lynne.  I'll check it out today and bookmark that site.