Author Topic: Yoo Hoo-GIAGIRL, over here! Wedding dresses for short, zaftig Ah2bqat  (Read 41967 times)

Offline ah2bqat

Hopefully MebWistress will be able to pull the wedding dress part of the saga of Li'L BLOOO over here; but I need to start  this for those who love wedding dresses.  

I'm in the market, and when it happens, I won't have much time, maybe 3-4 months.  GG is already looking for me, bless her heart.  I read about Trink's odyssey, and the thought of going thru that sort of anxiety is just not OK.  zzPlus, I'm just not even close to being half as cute.

Since I married the same man twice, my first and 2cd wedding gown were one and the same.  And I had planned to wear it since I was probably 12-13 years old, so I lived my dream.  It was an antique Victorian tea gown of my Grandmother's.  Of course, back then I was a size 2, now I'm a 'street' size 8.  GRRRR! Nevertheless, I would not be wearing it for this wedding to a 'NEW" man.

I'd post a picture from each, but they're back in TX, and I'm NOT and neither is my scanner.

So for those who want to join the hunt, I'm looking for an ivory, champagne, blush, or gold gown.  Kick train at the most - as this will be a small family affair, unless GL or other West Coasties want to attend.  It will most likely occur in Palos Verdes, with the reception at Trump's golf course or an equally good restaurant.  So the gown has to be really nice, but not extremely formal.

Next thing to note is that I've loved St. Pucchi for years.  They used to have a shop in downtown Dallas, and my friend N and I used to gawk at the gowns every day on our morning constitutional, prior to making snide remarks about the Needless Markup windows.  Oh, how we loved that shop.  

My DN, Major Jen, also turned me on to Maggie Sottero.  How could she not at 5'10" and a size 7 after her first baby?  But like the mathematucian, I'm cheeep!  So Miz M's suggestion of finding a good dress maker looks better and better.  On the other hand, the good news is that in SoCal, I can find almost any couture wedding gown designer product I want. Hollywood and all, you know?  The other thing to keep in mind is that year-round, the climate is predominantly in the 70's and 80's F.

The bad news is after 35 years I re-meet my first love and as soon as that happened I transformed from a size 2 to a size 8?  Sheesh!  At 5'3" that really just isn't in my happy place.  I mean, I know it  isn't a bad place, but I had always hoped ...  At least we reconnected when I was thin.

OK, so I'm working on changing the diet a bit, and working out more regularly.  So I'm sort of a low 8 headed to a 6.  :ura1:  The more aerobics, the better.  And on the down side, I have old lady arms and legs.  :thewife:  Nothing will help old skin, but I've been reading BuunyB's posts about stimulating the skin and circulation by rough scrubbing, so I may give that a good shot and see what happens.  Anyone want to comment on their progress?

So I've been looking for gowns with sleeves - like 3/4 length, with lace overlays.  Also at Reem Acra's Grecian models.  But I need to avoid slim A-line. and trumpet or mermaid skirts.  I'm fond of princess cut or empire waistlines.  A bolero type jacket would do since it's always pretty warm here.  I don't quite have the warmth GL does, I'm on the coast and we have the ocean breezes. I also don't need anything like a chapel or cathedral train, but a dress maker could turn some things into a kick-train.

Add in the white South Sea pearls, and I'm truly looking at lace or chiffon, in gold or an off-white.  Now the other consideration I haven't mentioned is an 8 color dragon with a firepearl on my left shoulder.  Yepper, a huge 7" dia. tattoo.  I am so bummed right now that I did that.     :1237387oyy519k20r:  Most times I love it, but those Grecian gowns would let it show as would a lace overlay.

Now if you've made it thru this whole post; God bless you, and good luck in the search.    Believe me, I'll be asking my cross-dressing friends how to cover that tattoo so it won't show.  One of them will be doing my makeup and hair anyway.  I wish I was that good with girl toys.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:17:14 AM by ah2bqat »
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Mikla

Now the other consideration I haven't mentioned is an 8 color dragon with a firepearl on my left shoulder.  Yepper, a huge 7" dia. tattoo.

I would never have imagined you with a tattoo!  Now there must be a story that goes along with that!

When I got married for the second time, I looked at all the designer dresses that I couldn't afford the first time around.  But I wanted something more simple, flowing, strapless with chiffon and seed pearls and a very short train.  I bought a Maggie Sottero and found their line quite reasonably priced with a wide variety of styles.  My sister, on the other hand, had her dress made for about the same cost.  I don't think you can go wrong either way.  With the money I saved on the dress (they can cost as much or more than the ring!), we went on the honeymoon of our dreams (three weeks in Greece and Italy).

I'm sure you're going to find exactly what you want, whether a pattern or off the rack.  After all, you found Li'l Bloo!

Mikla
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:30:02 AM by Mikla »
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline ah2bqat

yeah, there's a story there.  It all started when I was just a little girl....  zzzzzzzz

Seriously - we used to visit my aunt and uncle in NJ twice a year.  They'd take us to a Broadway show for our birthdays, my sis and myself, and of course the senior units.  It was really cool.  They  lived next door to a man who collected Chinese art and artifacts, (as did his mother).  These were of a calibre that you generally see in the British Museum, or MOMA, or the Smithsonian with an 'on loan from the collection of....' tag.  He would invite the whole fam-damily over for a visit each time we came up.  He'd give us a 'hands-on' tour of some small part of his collection each visit.  Imagine being not even a tweenager and holding the scepter of an empress from 800 years ago, or touching the delicate pieces of a hair ornament made of gold with iridescent feathers inlaid in the ornament.  He had a little amber bird and its amber nest, and when you'd pick the bird up out of its nest and hold it in the palm of your hand, it would be warm, almost alive.  I was able to hold and feel embroidered tabbards of mandarins from the Imperial Court that were centuries old.   I fell in love with Chinese art - not just the paintings, but the embroidery, the fabrics, the sculpture.

I never forgot Mr.K, or his generosity in sharing his treasures.  Now a days, I think the Chinese government would probably try to recover his and his Mom's collections; they really should belong to the Chinese people.  There were artifacts to rival the splendor of King Tut's tomb in that man's home.

My most favorite subject was dragons and how they would appear guarding or playing with a fiery pearl.  So when I decided to get a tattoo at the tender age of 40, (yeah it was a bad birthday),  I decided I'd tryand find someone that could do a light blue Chinese style dragon and it's pearl.

Long story short...I ended up with a dragon worthy of the biker b---h from HE double hockey sticks.  Not pretty, not playful.  Fierce, colorful, and very mean.  It did make for a memorable birthday, though.  And it's not something one generally would like to see on the back of an antique bride - although this being California, I'm sure it wouldn't be considered unusual. ;D

Offline GIAGirl

OK...the way you were talking I thought you some huge granny...you are a hot mamma!!!!!!!   I am on it!!! 

Offline GIAGirl

ST. PUCCHI IS MY FAVE!!!!!!! 

Offline GIAGirl

Do you LOVE THIS?  I love this.

Offline ah2bqat

That's gorgeous.  #9311-  I missed it somehow, so I'm glad you brought it forward.  I adore lace overlays.  How did you get a picture?  I can't get anything from Maggie Sottero or St.Pucchi to save.  It's driving me nutz.  :BangHead:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:00:44 PM by ah2bqat »

Offline jewellk

ah2bqat...check out this website:

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/
I sold my dress here and I admit, I check it regularly to oogle the wedding dress eye candy :)

There's a very pretty St. Pucci lace overlay dress size 8 on there right now...
Mindi  :munky2:

Offline ah2bqat

what a great websight, jewellk.  Thanks for sharing.  I will definitely be keeping it in my favorites list  They have one of my favorite Maggie Sottero's on sale in my current size for $700, It's the Mikala Marie.  I'm tempted to just buy it.  But I'm really trying to stay away from those form fitting gowns.  I just feel like a blimp in them these days.

Offline Mikla

Oh that one's pretty!  And you can get a sleeveless lace jacket that goes with it.  Perhaps you could get that lined to cover up the tattoo?  The shape and train are very similar to the dress I wore except mine had a chiffon overlay, not lace.  It was very comfortable and the lace up back ensures a perfect fit if your weight fluctuates before the wedding.  Ah2bqat, have you tried this style on?  You might be surprised how nice it looks on you with a modest slip that will create a smooth silhouette.

Mikla
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:46:46 AM by Mikla »

My Gallery Images

Offline ah2bqat

I really need to get to a wedding gown salon and try some of the styles on.  I hadn't really considered doing more than looking at this point.  Maybe when Kirst and her girlfriends are visiting we can make a trip out, altho I'm not sure how 3 young teens will react to NOT being the center of attention.  Hmmm....  maybe not the best idea.

But youre right, Mikla, I need to get a better idea ofwhat looks good now.  I can always ave it take in, if things progress well at the gym..

Offline GracefulLion

Giaggirl is finding some really pretty dresses and that website Jewellk found is so cool!  I did a search for my own wedding dress for the fun of it, but it wasn't there.  Anyway, I do think it would be super smart to go try some on, then go back to that site and nail it down for the right price.  Did you already say how much time you have?

Offline ah2bqat

Still no real timeline, GL.  We are holding off on a date because of my Mom and Dad's situation.  On the other hand.... I think we've found our house!

Offline GIAGirl

Hi!  I get those pictures from the Brides.com website. I know you are looking for sleeves but it sounds like you may not need them. 

Offline ah2bqat

Even my first wedding dress had 3/4 sleeves, GG.  I'm not a bare-naked-lady type, even if my DH did wish I were a bit more trashy. 

I was at Florida State when streaking was the thing to do.  I never participated. ::) I've never liked my upper arms.  When I was young, they were 'way too muscular, now they're too flabby, but we'll see.  That's what happens when you spend too much time swinging from a bar by your hands  I used to be able to do a dozen push-ups in a hand-stand.  Now, I can't even get into a handstand.  How crazy is that?  ;D

Offline GIAGirl

Re: Yoo Hoo-GIAGIRL, over here! Wedding dresses for short, zaftig Ah2bqat
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 12:17:50 AM »
Even my first wedding dress had 3/4 sleeves, GG.  I'm not a bare-naked-lady type, even if my DH did wish I were a bit more trashy. 

I was at Florida State when streaking was the thing to do.  I never participated. ::) I've never liked my upper arms.  When I was young, they were 'way too muscular, now they're too flabby, but we'll see.  That's what happens when you spend too much time swinging from a bar by your hands  I used to be able to do a dozen push-ups in a hand-stand.  Now, I can't even get into a handstand.  How crazy is that?  ;D

I know what you mean...I am not big on my upper arms either. 

Offline robin

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 09:41:04 AM »
Upper arms too muscular?  I do not understand that of which you speak.   :)

Offline GIAGirl

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:38:49 PM by GIAGirl »

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
I like the color, GG, but I'm not sure of the style.  I'm thinking it would minimize my assets and leave me looking too broad in the beam from the back view.

I've been leaning more towards empire waisted with or without lace overlays.  That St. Pucchi with the lace overlay and silk satin hem is just the cat's meow.  But Frannie doesn't know a dressmaker, and my mother doesn't have the time by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm not sure a copy would be possible.  That being said, here are a couple of other avenues I'm looking.  

I don't really want a train, or perhaps just a hint of a fishtail.  And there won't be a veil since they make me insane, although some silk flowers or some sort of headpiece will work.  It won't be a huge wedding or a formal one, especially with the kids being 'best man' and bridesmaid, or maybe that will be best girl and bridesman - who knows these days!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:24:09 PM by ah2bqat »

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 07:27:30 PM »
Scott's daughter and her friend are here for a few days and I'm really frustrated. I had hoped to take them to a couple, or at least one, good bridal shop where we could get a sense of the right size and types of colors I should stick with.  But I have to work all weekend and they leave Monday.  Isn't that just life?  Grrrr!  Still it's great to have them.  I feel for them, tho.  Poor kids have to sleep on a pile of comforters on the living room floor - and it isn't carpeted.  Ouch!

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 12:14:17 AM »
Scott's daughter and her friend are here for a few days and I'm really frustrated. I had hoped to take them to a couple, or at least one, good bridal shop where we could get a sense of the right size and types of colors I should stick with.  But I have to work all weekend and they leave Monday.  Isn't that just life?  Grrrr!  Still it's great to have them.  I feel for them, tho.  Poor kids have to sleep on a pile of comforters on the living room floor - and it isn't carpeted.  Ouch!

Sometimes those pallets are more comfortable than you think! 

I do like the St. Pucchi.  They are pricey, but worth it, maybe??? 

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 01:29:09 AM »
To me, yes.  I could pay 4-5k for that dress and be happy, but Scottie?  $700 USD and he starts to cough.

The girls promise to come back later.  Of course, that depends on Katie's parents.  They want to go with me to a bridal shop.  I know they won't lead me astray...They are very forthright.

We just had the berst time doing hair and face masks.  What a hoot.  none of us need the same face treatments.  But the hair... universal!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:35:08 AM by ah2bqat »

Offline Mikla

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 10:07:50 AM »
Ah2bqat, I really like the third picture in the series you posted.  Are these all from St. Pucchi?  Is it a chiffon overlay? It's hard to tell from the pictures (I'm using a MacBook Air - small screen!).  That third dress is very feminine, flowing, and not so form-fitting, which I think you are leaning towards based on your "broad in the beam" comment.  At the same time, it would maximize your "assets"!  ;D  Also, since you are having a smaller, less formal wedding, a simple design seems to fit the bill better than a dress that has a lot of detail.  Just some thoughts . . . I'm sure you'll have a much better idea when you go to the bridal shop.  Keep posting pictures - I love looking at all of these gorgeous gowns!  I can't wait to see what you decide on!!

Mikla
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 10:12:10 AM by Mikla »

My Gallery Images

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »
Actually, Mikla, none of them are St. Pucchi except the one GG posted early on.  This is a 'knock off' site, and they don't give you much detail, altho for $200 I'm almost willing to take a chance and see what it would look like in person.  It's got just a hint of a train, too, which I like very much.  http://www.wedding-dresses-gowns-shop.com/euro-wedding-html/uow052.html  I'm thinking light champagne or apricot.  thoughts? >:D 

Worst case, I could let a tailor take it apart and make one with better quality fabrics.  That would make it a pretty expensive pattern, but still worth it.

They have some nice lace jackets, too, but I don't think they would go well with this model.   :(  Maybe a stola?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 12:37:55 PM by ah2bqat »

Offline Mikla

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
I like all of the pale colors that they are showing.  My first choice would be white or ivory, but I also especially like the apricot and baby pink, followed by light champagne and grey.  Have you decided what the colors of your wedding will be yet?  This manufacturer also says the dress is made with satin and chiffon so you may be surprised and decide that the quality is just fine. What about the lacy ones http://www.wedding-dresses-gowns-shop.com/euro-wedding-html/uow084.html or http://www.wedding-dresses-gowns-shop.com/bestewd-html/bestewd056.html?

Mikla
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 06:44:15 PM by Mikla »

My Gallery Images