Author Topic: The Saga of Li'l BLOOO  (Read 47681 times)

Offline GIAGirl

Re: The Saga of Li'l BLOOO
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 01:04:22 AM »
I can't see a finish on it...but that sounds nice.  This is going to be a pretty ring for sure. 

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 01:09:28 AM »
You're a sweetie, for sure, GG.  You remind me of my step daughter.  She alsways did encourage me to go beyond the bounds. 

Little buggger got married without informing me last month.  now I have to see about my diamond pendant.. She doesn't have an engagement ring. >:D
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Foxylady

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »
Ah2bqat

How about a pair of little white hearts, after all their is so much love going into the recreation of your Mother's ring I thought it would be the perfect symbol to use. By the way I am so very happy for you, I'd be like a cat on a hot tin roof at the moment, now that this is reality and no longer a dream.

Foxylady  :heart2:

PS I also have a house full of cats. Well 5 I'd have more but DH won't let me.

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 01:56:40 PM »
This is why the suggestion box is open.  Foxy, I never even thought about hearts.   

:david:Can we see RBCs, RADs, Traps(both step and BC), and Hearts with Lil BLOOO, pretty please?

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
D, maybe we don't need to SEE all the combinations, but it might help me, in particular, understand sizing and feasibility by giving a short lesson in why you might discount one or more of those types of sidestones with Li'L BLOOO.  :icon_scratch:

For example:
I like RBCs because they look spectacular in R1702, but the cut of that center radiant is more  matchbook than matchbox in terms of overall shape.  For Li'l BLOOO, to get a similar side by side look against her length, the rounds would be too large in diameter compared to her width at 4.19 x 3.16.  So the overall look of the 3 stones would be unbalanced, or Li'L BLOOO might be overwhelmed - which we don't want to do.  Do I make sense here?

Now I could be right, or I could be wrong - we all know I'm imagination challenged  :tard: and don't have photoshop to play with, so I need a lot of help from you.  Especially if it takes less effort to teach than find appropriately shaped itty bitty stones, put them together, take pictures..... 

Let's face it - you've already done so much to put me to the front of the line,  and I just don't want to waste your time.  You've got a lot of clients  with items on your to-do list - I don't want to be selfish and clog it up.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:41:33 PM by ah2bqat »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »
This is why the suggestion box is open.  Foxy, I never even thought about hearts.   

:david:Can we see RBCs, RADs, Traps(both step and BC), and Hearts with Lil BLOOO, pretty please?

Yes- but we are slightly limited.
For example, heart shapes in this size ......you would not really be able to define the shape with the naked eye.
Traps might escape that particual problem. Finding a pair may be tough.....but we may be able to actually re-cut a pair of radiant stones, or emerald cuts into traps.
We'll hopefully have some pairs to look at tomorrow.....
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 08:07:25 PM »
So here we go.  that's good information, D.  Thank you.  I want a balanced 3-stone look, and if the side stones get MUCH smaller that Li'l BLOOO, I'm gonna need a magnifying glass to find them, without my glasses on, or maybe even with them!  8)   That won't do at all.

So let's stick with the ones where the side stones can be the most visible.  After playing in visio this afternoon, I begin to see some of the issues.  I'm thinking traps would end up being maybe .15 each.  That's not what I want.  I liked the idea of matched hearts, they could almost be .29 each; but trying to find a matching pair, with good definition, incredible sparkle, and that small a size could be a nightmare.  If a miracle should occur, then great; but my own heart isn't set on any particular cut.  I'd rather the stones pass with high white stats, be eye clean at the very least, and blow off the top of the scale on D's glarkle meter.

I did like the three matching radiants together.  I also liked Li'L BLOOO with matching rounds, as they can come close to 4 mm diameter, maybe a scinch less; but then I also liked smaller rounds (@3mm) with Li'L BLOOO set e-w rather than the more normal n-s.

So the field is narrowing, but suggestions are still very welcome.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 09:40:12 PM »
OK- here's a quick shot I put together.
The side diamonds are .40ct tw.

It's amazing how BLOOOO makes the I color of the side diamonds look ....yellow!
We'll need to use D-E color if we go colorless....

Of course these are too large.
But we'll find a pair small enough- or trim a pair to fit, if need be.
David

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »
Now with some L color half moons- again- too large

Still- the color combo is cool.
Man, why can't we have more blooooo diamonds?? They are so fun!!
David

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2009, 09:48:48 PM »
One more for $hits and giggles....

I always loved a blue car with a brown interior...
again, too large at .93ct tw....
David

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »
  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :wow: :blob3: :wow: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Those are spectacular combos, David!  I never thought of half moons or ECs, either.  Even my DH had to comve over and look at the combinations.  He's likin' Li'L BLOOO more and more every day. :ura1:

Browns are not his thing, but he actually LIKED the yellows. :faintthud:  (I KNEW R1945 would be spectacular with a BLOOO melee halo!).  He wants to see some really high whites with her and agrees that even those white diamonds look a bit tinted :omg:.

I'm so happy.  I never thought I could get him involved with this, but he's really starting to get into the project.  Thank you, David, for showing us so many options .  :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2009, 11:37:07 PM »
This is so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!   I cannot wait to see all of "our" options!!!!!!

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »
Me, either, GG.  I had so much fun with Diamond Hunter's search, that I had to make this public. 

We all need all the fun and excitement we can find.  You guys are sort of like extended family to me.  I live in a town where I know very few people.  My friends of the last 20 years are all over a 1000 miles away.  This is too big to keep inside me.  I'd explode. :violent4:

If it helps a guest make a decision in DBL's direction, so much the better.  I'll consider that a random act of kindness on my part. :angel:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:15:04 AM by ah2bqat »

Offline Namtan

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2009, 03:40:41 AM »
I like Li'l BLOO with either high white radient or emerald cut.
Traps or half moon will be too small.

This will be a very stunning ring for sure  :-*

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2009, 03:50:53 AM »
Oh that Blooo! She's gorgeous. I've never seen a lovelier blue diamond.

Now this might not be possible or practical, but I was thinking, what about antique style cushion sides? It's a softer, more contrasting shape than an RB and will have enough sparkle to stand up to a radiant centre stone, but not so much that they'd over power it. I was thinking about the Daussi cushions, that style of cutting.  Or even some small old mine cuts?

That said, the radiant sides are really, really good with Li'l Blooo, so maybe icy white radiants would be the best option.

Oh, and I'd love half moons too.

Hmm. Not much help really, am I? ;D

Congratulations to your stepdaughter and her DH. I wish them a lifetime of happiness together.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Namtan

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:56 AM »
How about this. Asschers (@3mm) with Li'L BLOOO set e-w.
My side asschers are around 3mm so I try to make a picture for you. Not so good but you get the idea.  ;)

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2009, 06:15:19 AM »
It's amazing- here's a quick shot how BLOOOO makes the I color of the side diamonds look ....yellow!
We'll need to use D-E color if we go colorless....

I think I like this the best. (the scale is all wrong but corrected this would be stunning). 

I really like the side stones with a little (and I mean little) warmth here. (I'd go I or J). Not only does lil' bloo make the side diamonds look yellow--I think the yellow tint makes lil' bloo look bluer. The colorless sides make it look more gray than blue to my eye.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:16:52 AM by djm195 »

Offline Mikla

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2009, 07:21:20 AM »
I love Li'l Bloo with the I radiants.  It also looks very "bloo" next to the L half moons.  If you use the same size radiant sides as the center, that baby would sing!  Of course, we still need to see it next to some really colorless stones to be sure . . .  >:D

Mikla
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:49:26 AM by Mikla »
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline titania

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2009, 07:34:53 AM »
This blue diamond is really gorgeous - I've really never seen one so blue. I vote for icy white radiant sides -- they'll make that bloooo go POP for sure!

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2009, 08:06:38 AM »
Yay!  Congrats :)

I love the 3 radiant combo!!!  Better finger coverage!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:18:32 AM by Diamondluvr »
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2009, 08:10:42 AM »
I didn't think of half moons at first, but that is my favorite one out of the options posted last night!  Whatever you go with, this is going to be one spectacular ring.

I was also thinking about what djm said about the color of the sides.  I do wonder if it's that little bit of warmth in the sides that really helps to pop the blue...  I guess we'll see once it gets next to come icy sides!
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »
So far, I prefer the radiants and Namtam's EW Asscher combo best. After whittling ideas down to just a few, in the end, I have a feeling that the setting, both in terms if its color AND design, may dictate the final choice.

Interesting thought, DJM, regarding the soft yellow color vs. high-white. Blue and yellow are not opposites on the color wheel (that would be blue and orange), but they are far enough apart to lend some support to your theory about how the yellow color makes the blue pop. My only concern is that, for me anyway, the yellow color "gets in the way" of the blue. Yellow is one of the most highly visible colors (actually, I believe it IS the most visible, unless you get into the neons), and it tends to advance forward (hence its prolific use in signage and other "need-to-see" items). By contrast, generally, blue is perceived as a receding color. So, I may prefer a blue/yellow combo when the yellow is the focus (in the middle) and two blues are side accents. Make sense?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing some examples of high-color stones and contrasting the two effects: high-white sides vs. tinted sides.

Now here's a thought: It may be, if the entire piece will be done in yellow gold, that the tinted white looks better overall because it will blend with the ring, as opposed to introducing another perceived color... Better still, perhaps dropping down to the U-V or W-X colors for sides, to introduce a soft "golden" looking pair (careful, not yellow) will work... kind of a warm neutral that disappears into skin tones and yellow gold, to contrast with the cool blue.

So, basically, I just theorized about how "yellow" may not work, and, then, I ended up suggesting "gold," a complex form of yellow as a solution... I'm an idiot. :1087:

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2009, 10:46:26 AM »
BTW, now that I've said all that, if they can be BIG and FAT, I think high-white half-moons would look killer with Li'l Blooo in this particular setting.

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »
How about this. Asschers (@3mm) with Li'L BLOOO set e-w.
My side asschers are around 3mm so I try to make a picture for you. Not so good but you get the idea.  ;)

So how about it, D? Can the setting work with and E-W design?  I considered an E-W option with rounds - but asschers?!? That would be NOM de Nom!   Thank you for putting it together, Nantam.  I like the contrast between the sparkle of the radiant and the glitter of the asschers.  And very white asschers might keep BLOOO from greying out because they don't bend light the same way as radiants.  Is that valid, D? 

Or baby Glarklers cut like #R1878.  That sort of cushion cut.  http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/ring-special-gia-127ct-di1-cushion-cut-diamond-pillow-halo-ring?PHPSESSID=9272e44c4abe128ab5d0215f18507faf

And T, you might be right - the sides might do well as a soft yellow in the lower end of the alpha series rather than a screaming canary.  Any of these ideas sound viable, D?  We do need to see the baby with some really high whites and the some deeper yellows than the O-P, so the DH has more to think about. >:D

and thank you, Jen.  I'll pass on your good wishes to her.  She seems incredibly happy and has apparently known her new DH for qute a few years.  The grandsons seem pretty happy with him too. :icon_sunny:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:57:18 AM by ah2bqat »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »
Hi Everyone!!

I love the way Namtan's mock up looks!!

In reality, I believe that the side asshcers on  the ring would have been too large.
I'll see about the smallest size Asschers we can find today.
David