Author Topic: The Saga of Li'l BLOOO  (Read 47773 times)

Offline ah2bqat

The Saga of Li'l BLOOO
« on: May 09, 2009, 01:27:35 AM »
For all you CDI'ers - I'm starting this because it's getting too embarrassing to threadjack anymore, and here I can gush to my heart's content before, during and after.

So what does it take to make a perfect ring?  Everyone here would have to say 'It depends'.  And that truly is straight shooting. ???

But this is about MY perfect ring, or at least a perfect DBL creation.  After all, we have the setting of choice, and something old:  my DH's mother's old setting.  She died when he was still in college; and because I've know him since we were 12, I knew his Mom a bit, too.

Then you have to add in a superb jeweller with a phenom staff.  Did I mention he has a sentimental streak as wide as the Grand Canyon?  Well, he does.  Also a snarky sense of humor that's as good as the fizz in Jones soda. :smarty:  I haven't mentioned his name?  Well, maybe later, if I really HAVE to.  But I do have to mention our great MebWistress who is responsible for turning me into a true :22:

Sprinkle liberally which a bunch of really fun folks with an overriding passion for beautiful gems, especially colored diamonds, significant experience in design, and a community spirit that will never let one worry  :xyxnervous: or celebrate alone :smileyparty:.

And now the stage is set for the Saga of :hail: Li'l BLOOO  :hail:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:38:49 AM by ah2bqat »
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: The Saga of Li'l BLOOO
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 03:17:48 AM »
Right-o. We await with bated breath... just in case lil'blooo fogs up.  ;D

So, wazzup?!? That was more like bated dragon breath.

We need to know the content of TDM's conversation with David...

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 03:49:33 AM »
So my DH and I do things sort of backwards.  We aren't married by most states laws, but in TX and according to the IRS, we are.  And someday we'll do the civil and church sort of thing.  But my Dad has Alzheimer's bad, and Mum is his primary caretaker.  I can't put the burden of a wedding on her on top of Dad.  And as much as I'd love for my Dad to give me away(again), it would be better for the family to wait until he passes.  It's a sad commentary, but at almost 56, I didn't' want to get married without my mother there;  and for the first time, I'd like to have a few other family members, like my sister and her husband, or my stepdaughter by a prior marriage and my grandsons there, too. 

Hopefully, my BIL will give me away.  I'm sure he'd like too! ;D  But that's some day in the future.

Right now, my darling mathematucian  is working with D, actually I am , but he's buying.  Anyway, we're working on building an engagement/wedding band based on DH's mother's setting.

Even though I've been waiting patiently :angel: (yeah,right)  for an engagement ring; only now have things started heating up.  I bought him a wedding band first, and I think that inspired him to look to girl ring(s).  So, Mum's band is in the mail.  But..
In the interim, a good CDI friend, and frequent purchaser, OMC, went to visit David at DBL.  They went to a jeweller who carries lots of colored stone and they found  :hail: Li'l BLOOO  :hail:

She's pictured below both in her paper wrapper and under a diamond light.  And the amazing thing is , I still hadn't authorized DBL to look for a main stone for me.  My DH was still grousing like a, well, a grouse.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 06:45:01 AM »
With these things, ah2bqat, there's only three things one can do: duck, grouse or look like a turkey

Offline Mikla

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:00:10 AM »
In what ways can the blue be set to enhance its beautiful color?  Have you decided how to modify DH's mother's ring to accept Li'l Bloo's shape?  You had mentioned on another thread that the setting originally held three quarter-carat round brilliants.

Mikla
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:11:08 AM by Mikla »
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 12:48:54 PM »
I finally got to speak to the mathematician!!

I had some doubts that he was actually a real person, so I asked him the square root of 7640.
He answered with NO hesitation- didn't even use a calculator!!

Seriously, it was such a nice conversation- like speaking to an old friend.

In what ways can the blue be set to enhance its beautiful color? 
Mikla

Great question Mikla!
In fact, unlike yellow and pink, which can be enhanced naturally by using yellow or pink gold, there's no such enhancement for blue.
We've heard of "black rhodium" which is put under a blue to bring out the color...but...we have not found it to be a good alternative.
The color blue itself is far more subtle than yellow or pink.

What this means is the you really need to stick with a blue diamond of a fairly deep shade- such as the little BLOOOO
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »
With these things, ah2bqat, there's only three things one can do: duck, grouse or look like a turkey

Actually OMC, he's more of a big, silly goose.  On the other hand, I think he's just been too chicken to talk to David. :duckie:

And now that the ice has been broken, my DH seems to be in a much better mood :laugh: - or that could be because the Lakers won their game last night.  Of course, I knew they'd along quite well.  After all, my darling mathematucian is a closet bass player, or was.  A huge bone of contention when we broke up some 40 years ago was because I told him not to give up his day job for a musical career.  Poor guy couldn't then and still can't cary a tune in a bucket.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 04:14:15 PM »
Actually, blue gold exists. It's an alloy of gold and iron (about 75/25, with some nickel) which comes out a very deep blackish blue with a nice lustre/polish. It can be worked (differently from purple gold), but I've only ever seen it used as a contrasting element in white or yellow gold jewellery. It's not a solution for intensifying the colour of blue diamonds, because it's way too dark, but white diamonds set in platinum in a blue gold field contrast very nicely!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:22:24 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
I'm getting all excited over this project! It's so special, with the heirloom status of the ring and the intense desire for blooo and the reluctant convert of a DH all rolled together lol.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the more memorable pieces we see on the forum and it's fun to be part of it (in a small way) from start to finish.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Mikla

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »
Actually, blue gold exists. It's an alloy of gold and iron (about 75/25, with some nickel) which comes out a very deep blackish blue with a nice lustre/polish. It can be worked (differently from purple gold), but I've only ever seen it used as a contrasting element in white or yellow gold jewellery. It's not a solution for intensifying the colour of blue diamonds, because it's way too dark, but white diamonds set in platinum in a blue gold field contrast very nicely!

OMC, where in the world did you learn this stuff?  Blue gold?  Purple gold?  Your knowledge is light years ahead of mine!

Mikla
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 07:19:57 PM by Mikla »
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »
Mikla, I'm with you - I've never encountered either of those colors of gold.  They sound quite interesting.

As to what we're going to do with Li'l BLOOO, we're not sure yet.  My hope is that David can use her as the center stone of my DH's mum's setting.  Possibly with 2 very white radiants or rounds to flank it.  Then, and I'm very interested in your opinion here, Mikla. along with with the rest of the crew.... we have two little side ribbons  currently set with white .005 to .01 stones.  I'm thinking maybe pink or yellow or leave them white???  I'm open to suggestions and thoughts. 

You see, my family  has members in the armed forces for the last 5 generations, and I can't see it stopping in the next gen, either.   I could see red,white, blue (altho I 'd take pink in place of red) diamonds, or do yellow ribbons for the two currently active members in the Air Force.  My elder DN is a Major, now in the reserves since she had her baby.  Her hsuband is a captain so you can figure which way the orders go in that household.  ;D (NOT) He's a great guy and a fighter pilot.  My DN is still a Lieut (he's just a pup) and current based in Qatar, flying C-4s, part of the supply chain. 

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »
For any guest, you might want to check the link below which details OMC's visit and made my heart stand still:  http://coloreddiamond.info/new-diamonds-new-jewelry/news-flash-omc-visits-dbl-and-we-get-a-blooo-diamond-for-ah2bqat/0/
The timing was amazing, guys, you have to admit.   And how divine of the double Ds to think of me on such an adventure.  I really can't thank you two enough. :bighug:

As to what happens if Li'l BLOOO doesn't fit in mum's ring?  Well, she'll be coming home to mama (thank you, my darling mathematucian :Heart:).  He really  is such a sweetie, and understands how I want this to be different for us both; how rare it is to get a second chance at a life with your first love.  With blue being both our favorite color, a blue diamond is just so perfect.  :love3:   

She'll still be a ring, my engagement ring; and we'll save mum's setting for the wedding band.  I'll bet David has an idea or two on how to make it all fit.  She might even turn into Li'l BLOOO in a pink tutu  :rahrah: 

So for now we have to wait on UPS to deliver mum's ring to DBL. :waiting:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:14:01 AM by ah2bqat »

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 03:47:19 AM »
As much as I like the patriotic symbolism of the red, white and blue idea, I would leave the existing stones if at all possible. I like to see heirloom pieces kept as close to original as possible (but that's just me).

Plus, it gives you a fantastic opportunity to work on a new project at some point, to celebrate your family's service. How about a ruby with white sidestones, halo or white melee on the shank, and a surprise blue sapphire for example? A right hand ring just completely about your family and their military service?

Which ever way you go, I'm excited for you and Lil Blooo!

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 04:48:33 AM »
I'm with Jen; once you have reset the main stones, leave the rest as untouched as possible. Among other things, you don't want to have too much going on and detracting from the centre stone!

Oh, and congratulations!

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 10:35:07 AM »
Thank you Miz M and OMC.  I will take your thoughts under serious advisement.

As to the content of the conversation between D and my DH?  I'm clueless, except, of course, that my DH absolutely refused to follow instructions and didn't identify himself to D as Ah2bqat's honey-bunny or my darling mathematucian, or even a mathematician, which is much more boring. Which brought on a load of confusion to D.  You see, my last name and my DH's first name are the same.  It confuses a lot of people.  Add in our DSS, whose middle name matches us both, and you can really create a free-for-all.   ;D

The boys got it sorted out eventually, but I still don't know any details.  :-*

Offline GracefulLion

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 10:48:31 AM »
I really cannot wait to see how this turns out!  So glad it is happening for you!

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 01:16:38 PM »
Thanks, GL.  No doubt you can understand how anxiously I'm waiting for David to have a chance to determine the possibilities for the setting , and Li'l BLOOO, of course!  :xyxnervous:

Maybe in a couple of days.... it should arrive tomorrow, but that's not saying it will arrive early enough or that David will have time immediately upon receipt.... :pray:
Type:  Package     
Scheduled Delivery:  05/12/2009 
Location                    Date        Local Time  Description 
SECAUCUS, NJ,  US  05/11/2009  11:00 A.M.  ARRIVAL SCAN 

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 02:54:36 PM »
ah2bqat, I am VERY excited for you. And, for the record, I've enjoyed your little threadjacks! However, it is great to see Li'l BLOOO has a page of her/his own. I've started to post here several times, but, I'm so thrilled for you that I always have too much to say and I never know where to begin, so, I poop out. Finally, I've gained some composure, and I am going to wait patiently for more news of what is sure to be a one-of-a-kind project.

Don't you wish you had a recording of the initial conversation between DH and David? Too funny...  ;)

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »
Trink, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall, or better, a bug on the phone line for that one. :munky2:

maybe we can pry some of it out of D...??

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »
Well, we could try to extort the info out of David by threatening to post a photo of him wearing a grass skirt and coconut bra, but, since HE posted the photo originally, I don't think it will give up enough clout for a full confession.  :dontknow:

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 10:29:57 PM »
Damn that DJM!  Now he's gone after my avatar!  And all I did was offer Annie a few suggestions to replace that silly smiley in a cape.  Looks like a trained flea.

I'd still like to see the shot.  I think I'm too new to have seen the original. 8)  Yeah and I don't want D to turn any practical jokes around li'l BLOOO.  I might take it badly.  :faintthud:  I don't think he'd do that, but what can DJM do as a moderator that D might not see for a day???? :xyxnervous:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:37:07 PM by ah2bqat »

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
I wonder if David could pave the yellow gold parts in faint yellow diamond melee and leave the white where they are???  HMMMM?

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 05:52:16 AM »
... I don't think he'd do that, but what can DJM do as a moderator that D might not see for a day???? :xyxnervous:

Don't worry ah2bqat, I'm a professional. (unlike certain moderators I know around here. I won't mention any names--but here's a clue--starts with "ann" and ends with an "ie").
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:58:12 AM by djm195 »

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 06:03:52 AM »
... I don't think he'd do that, but what can DJM do as a moderator that D might not see for a day???? :xyxnervous:

Don't worry ah2bqat, I'm a professional. (unlike certain moderators I know around here. I won't mention any names--but here's a clue--starts with "ann" and ends with an "ie").

OUCH!
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »
Package Progress 
Location  Date          Local Time  Description 

NEW YORK,
NY,  US  05/12/2009  4:29 A.M.  OUT FOR DELIVERY 
 :clock: :cat: