Author Topic: Can a diamond be repaired? With what sort of precision?  (Read 5219 times)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Can a diamond be repaired? With what sort of precision?
« on: April 27, 2009, 07:53:19 PM »
To demonstrate what's possible, let's use our 2.12ct F/Internally Flawless as an example.

When we consider a diamond for purchase, the cutter, or broker, will drop the diamond at our office, and leave it for a period of time, while we mull over it's potential. The diamond comes in a parcel paper with a sticker showing the pertinent GIA info. I can see the depth, table, polish, symmetry, etc... 
As you'll see, there's a vital piece of info not there- but I know this was not intentional- that info is not on any of these stickers. The sticker, by the way, is not printed by GIA, rather a software program the cutter has- which spits out the info from the GIA report onto a sticker.

When we decided to purchase the diamond for our stock, and the GIA report itself was delivered, we got a big surprise.
The GIA report was from 1998. In this case, that was a concern- especially considering the importance ( high value) of this rock. For this reason, we sent the diamond back to GIA for a new report.
They re-examined the diamond. The color and clarity stayed the same F, Internally Flawless. The symmetry was still rated Excellent, however the polish was now considered "Very Good" as opposed to "Excellent".
The polish and symmetry were a large part of the motivation to purchase the diamond.
As a diamond dealer, on the New York market for over 30 years, we know who we're dealing with- I had no doubt whatsoever the cutter would stand behind the stone. He did.
The reason for the downgrade on Polish was a slight abrasion which had somehow occurred over the years since GIA first looked at it. Upon our request, GIA gave us a detailed diagram showing where the abrasion was.
 The cutter stood behind the stone by offering to either take it back, or fix it. We chose to allow him the opportunity to repair the diamond- there was little risk as we could still back out if the results were not optimum.
Talk about a great job! He was able to repair the diamond, and not even loose one point of weight!
AS you can see- the measurements changed ever so slightly- but not a point of weight lost. Remarkable.
Measurements before repair- 7.22 x 7.15 x 4.84 mm
After repair-:                           7.16 x 7.12 x 4.84 mm

There's a number of things I take away from this story. One thing is a  no brainer- there's no way to overstate the importance of dealing with someone who stands behind the goods.
But also how the value of desirable diamonds has been consistent for a long time in our lifetimes.
It bothers me not at all that the diamond was originally cut ten years ago-and may have been owned by someone else. That fact makes no difference in it's value.

David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline GIAGirl

Re: Can a diamond be repaired? With what sort of precision?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »
Didn't the GIA agree to re-issue reports from this time period for free?

Do they charge you for the other reports after you have the stone polished? 

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
Didn't the GIA agree to re-issue reports from this time period for free?

Do they charge you for the other reports after you have the stone polished? 

Good question GG!

No- there's no charge for the subsequent report. It cost us $39 in total for the re-issued GIA report. A steal at twice the price!
David

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »
There's a number of things I take away from this story. One thing is a  no brainer- there's no way to overstate the importance of dealing with someone who stands behind the goods.
But also how the value of desirable diamonds has been consistent for a long time in our lifetimes.
It bothers me not at all that the diamond was originally cut ten years ago-and may have been owned by someone else. That fact makes no difference in it's value.

It sounds like you've had a number of transactions with this cutter, and good on him, or her, for being so forthright.  I wish more folks in more and different career paths could equal that level of honesty and good faith.  It's just sad, that through no fault of their own they had to take on a high risk and probably costly (at least in nerves) repair.  Kudos to them for their incredible level of performance.  What a fantastic job they did on the repair.  That is flat amazing.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »
That is not bad at all.  It is just a charge if you disagree with their grading and then it does not come back differently, right?

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »
That is not bad at all.  It is just a charge if you disagree with their grading and then it does not come back differently, right?

Actually, that is a different sort of thing.
I believe what GG is referring to is if you want to dispute a grade. In that case, you have to pay half the original fee if they don't change the grade. If they do change it, there's no charge.
This is more like when GIA issues a "Potential" clarity grade- meaning it's feasibly to re cut the stone to Internally Flawless- again, they show you on a plot, how to do it.
In such cases, the fee for the improved report is nominal, if any
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:24:14 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:56:56 PM »
Well, that is one pretty asscher!!!! 

Offline Mikla

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 10:52:48 PM »
Stunning Asscher!  Other than being scratched by another diamond, how does a diamond become damaged in this way?  You mentioned it was an abrasion.  What power magnification would be required to see this? 

???  Mikla

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:56:06 PM by Mikla »
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:58:47 AM »
Seems like gross negligence to me, Mikla.  That is a perfect baby that must have hopped her papers once or twice.  Shame that should happen, but I can understand shaking on opening that little blue 'envelope'. :'(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:18:00 AM by ah2bqat »
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 03:30:18 AM »
I'd guess it could be damaged during setting, or dropped or put in a jewellery box with other diamonds? It speaks volumes of the skill of this particular cutter, that he could repair it with such minimal loss in size and weight and retain its symmetry.

This really is a beautiful stone. It would look lovely in a solitaire. On me...

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:23:25 PM »
Great story. Killer rock.

Offline robin

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 02:41:39 PM »
I thought that a lot of older diamonds that had been worn frequently (e.g. old miners, ECs, etc.) had surface abrasions, just from wear and tear over time.\

I do have a question, though-- how is it possible that this Asscher lost size but not mass?

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »

I do have a question, though-- how is it possible that this Asscher lost size but not mass?

Great question Robin!

In fact, the diamond certainly did loose mass.
It just lost less mass than .01ct- which really is amazing!
David

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:21:39 PM »
i know i am reviving an old post here... but i have always wondered about whether it would be possible to recut  a "fair" or "good" diamond into an "excellent" cut diamond without losing to much carat weight...........
 :david:
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 02:15:12 PM »
i know i am reviving an old post here... but i have always wondered about whether it would be possible to recut  a "fair" or "good" diamond into an "excellent" cut diamond without losing to much carat weight...........
 :david:
Great question!

The answer is rather complex, as it would depend on a host of different considerations.

IN the case of the Asscher we repaired, there was only a tiny bit of polishing that needed to be done.
If a stone was badly cut, it would depend on things like the shape, location of imperfection and other aspects which will determine how much loss will be necessary.
David

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »
As a side note - when in NYC and thanks to David's extreme courtesy DW and I got the padparascha ring repaired: the stone was chipped. Not only was the stone recut within 12 hours, but although it lost about 7 points (1.24 -> 1.17), its colour has improved noticeably, becoming deeper.

And that 2.12 is an absolutely fantastic stone!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 02:36:43 PM »
Cool. Can we have a look? I'd love to see before and after shots if you have them!

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline carole

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 04:07:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing, it still looks stunning.