Author Topic: Difficulty Getting F colour SI1 stone  (Read 9375 times)

Offline PinkTissue

Difficulty Getting F colour SI1 stone
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:32:10 AM »
I am on a self-imposed diamond ban. But that does not mean I cannot window shop - and who knows, I may actually come across something I really want. And window shopping is a good way to get some sense of the diamond pricing in Singapore.

It is to my great surprise that I find that I could not find any F colour SI1 diamonds. They shops keep pushing to me E colour and G colour diamonds. And when I mentioned that I am looking for a SI stone, they looked as though I must be crazy. I have to listen to one 'amazing' lecture that lasted 20 minutes (the person did not even stop to swallow his saliva) that it is 'important' to look at the clarity because it 'affects how shiny the diamond looks'. I was so amazed by the load of rubbish that I have listened to the 'long lecture' while he kept pushing a G colour VVS2 diamond under my nose. Since I have been 'made' to listen to 20 minutes of rubbish, I spent the next 10 minutes 'ripping' the diamond he shoved under my nose apart. I told him that the colour bothers me (mind you, not that G colour is bad but it is just a personal preference and I TOLD him in the first instance that I am looking for a F colour)....and it is not really a good looking diamond. It is not a bad diamond but it just does not have the WOW factor.

I have long given up any hope of getting a decent F, SI1 stone which I have been looking for quite sometime before stumbling at Laurens from Diamonds. I don't particularly enjoy being 'belittled' because I find SI1 stone tolerable. I love VS2 and better clarity stone but if it is not within my budget, I would take a beautiful eye-clean SI1 stone anytime. I really find it quite difficult to pay a  premium for something that I cannot see without my own eyes or at least without any aid (now there is this story where a lady in my office shows off her ring and some idiot actually try to improvise a loup by turning a glass upside down to look at the diamond).

What converted me to SI stone is that my friend managed to get a really beautiful D colour, SI2 diamond. One of the shop assistant knows that I love a bargain stone and quietly reserved the stone for me before the manager 'trashed' the stone and return to the suppliers. I loved it at first sight. I made the mistake of asking my friend to accompany to look at the diamond  a second time and she bought it promptly! She is my BEST friend so I am happy for her. Now everytime I look at my friend's finger, it is with a tinge of envy and jealousy. Next time, no more asking my friend to go along when it comes to diamonds. I love my friend's diamond - after setting the stone, the SI2 flaw, a feather right at the edge is hidden and most jewellers who saw the stone was quite surprise when they were told that it is a SI2 stone.

It is not that I cannot find a F colour, SI1 stone in Singapore - but it is just that it is close to impossible to buy it at the size of 1 carat and above. Most 'bigger' stones (anything that is above 1 carat is consider big in Singapore) are at least VS2 or better. I do have a few friends who are jewellers and they could have helped me. But I could not do so without offending them since most jewellers are 'friendnemies'. I would buy gem stones but not diamonds if I treasure their friendships! And all my diamond pieces are from chain stores and since all my jeweller friend' businesses are family run businesses, they can criticize my diamonds to their hearts content since they all share a similar hatred for 'chain shops'. Anyway I would feel terrible imposing on them because most of their loose diamonds are in the range of 0.3 carat to 0.7 carat (most popular in Singapore - anything bigger, people would ask whether the diamond is real). They have a very small selection of diamonds above the 'norm' in Singapore and if they have, I could not really find anything that is within my budget (if it is of higer colour/clarity) or that I don't find the cut really fantastic.

I am hoping my mum would really get well soon and goes into a long, long remission so that I can remove my self-imposed diamond ban  :D

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: Difficulty Getting F colour SI1 stone
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:10:04 AM »
Wow- we wish your mom the very best PT!!!

Amazing how others can try to make us feel "wrong" for loving what we do.
I'd love to come over to Singapore to give some of these salespeople a piece of my mind.
Of course while I was there I'd like to enjoy a visit as well!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:07:02 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline PinkTissue

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Do drop me a note when you are coming to Singapore. I would gladly point out which stores to go (especially those pride themselves as the mid-high end store) and let you ask them whether there are SI stones  :)

Since you are a Caucasian (maybe you can masquerade as a sugar daddy looking to buy his darling something), they would most probably assume you have an unlimited budget and would push their most expensive diamonds to you.

In an ideal world where there is no such thing as a buget, I would love a D colour, IF with GIA triple excellent diamond. But since like most mortals who has to live with a budget, I would stick to something which I find ok (and I love a bargain).

I think the problem is that majority of the people are really hang up with numbers. A lot of people would brag about their D colour, VVS1 diamond (even if it looks DEAD) and there are a lot of people (and pretty rude ones) would ask about the colour and clarity (not the casual curiousity questions but bent on comparing diamond the person has). In someway, I know why Diamond Hunter thinks that there would be people who would try to make his fiance feels bad. It is a vicious cycle - the stores are reluctant to carry lower clarity diamonds since it is difficult to sell them - I once saw a lady picked one really ugly diamond just because it is a VVS1 clarity even though the shop assistant (now she is a rare breed) tries to sell the SI1 stone pointing that it is a huge bargain and it really sparkles and has excellent cut (I am there so I can vouch for the shop assistant). The lady who picked the overprized stone said huffily that she would 'never dream of picking any stone that has anything lower than VVS2 clarity'.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »
[snip]The lady who picked the overprized stone said huffily that she would 'never dream of picking any stone that has anything lower than VVS2 clarity'.

Excellent. We should incentivize this type of behaviour, so there's more of the good stones at reasonable prices left for the nice people.  ;D

I don't think I could survive in Singapore...

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:15:15 PM »
It's quite sad though, isn't it? I mean, you go to a hardware store, you'd expect to know less about hardware than the people there you'd ask for advice. You go to a pharmacy hoping that the pharmacist can tell you about the thing you need. You go to a good wine shop and ask the expert staff to help you pick out exactly the sort of wine you're looking for, and so on.

You go into a jewellery store? It's open season on your wallet and there's a fair chance you'll either get something um, shall we say sub-optimal or you'll know more than the staff and leave.

I'm sure David can find your knock-out F SI1 when you're ready, and I really hope that your mum gets well soon.

Jen

Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »
It's quite sad though, isn't it? I mean, you go to a hardware store, you'd expect to know less about hardware than the people there you'd ask for advice. You go to a pharmacy hoping that the pharmacist can tell you about the thing you need. You go to a good wine shop and ask the expert staff to help you pick out exactly the sort of wine you're looking for, and so on.

You go into a jewellery store? It's open season on your wallet and there's a fair chance you'll either get something um, shall we say sub-optimal or you'll know more than the staff and leave.

I'm sure David can find your knock-out F SI1 when you're ready, and I really hope that your mum gets well soon.

Jen

Sad and startlingly common.   :tantrum:

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 01:37:41 PM »
Yes DJ-it IS sad.....great post Jen!

I agree with OMC as well- it might be tough for diamonds....but I'd really love to visit though!
PinkTissue- it's really funny how this conversation strikes so close to home for me.
Sometimes, when someone calls, they'll ask a question, or make a comment that "goes against my grain"

Let's take a hypothetical: Someone call asking if we have a 2 carat diamond.
Yes, I tell them, we have this D/SI1.
Oh, I don;t want that, I need a better diamond- SI1 is a bad stone.

In a way, it's kind of like insulting a whole race of people based on the bad behavior of a few.

The imperfection in a diamond does not necessarily have anything to do with it's brilliance, or beauty.
Imperfection certainly can have an impact, but not as a rule.

Do you think I take this too personally?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:45:22 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
[snip]
Do you think I take this too personally?

Yes, you do. ;D

And we love you for it; because you have the courage and the passion to invest in the unusual and the uncommon - and in educating people to see the beauty and the value in it.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »
 Awwwwww.
:grouphugg:
David

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 01:50:20 PM »
Yup, for sure! ;D

People who say these things have been misled somewhere back down the line. It isn't their fault. People who are rude about an entire race of people need to be educated (or slapped, depending on how patient I'm feeling that day) and it's much the same with people who don't understand the diamond they're trying to buy.

No one who owns and understands a well cut diamond would be likely to say it needs to be of a particular clarity to perform well. There are beautiful I1s out there. People who have only seen less well cut stones and are hell bent on buying one might as well salvage whatever eye appeal they can and go for the D IF.  ;D  I'm guessing that a poorly cut I1 will look nastier than a poorly cut D IF (which still has the potential to look nasty).

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
I'm always amazed that people don't trust what they SEE. Why put more value in someone ELSE's grading/report system a system created solely to MARKET diamonds when shopping for a personal diamond? Same thing for all the newfangled light measuring devices. Sure, use a report to GUIDE you, it helps weed out some of the truly unwanted stones. However, there are many, many physical characteristics that the paper and scopes do not even address. I mean, really, people have been buying/trading beautiful stones for thousands of years without pieces of paper to "grade" them... just use your EYES!  ::)

Sorry, I get a little hot around the collar about this... I think people should spend some more time studying stones, rather than paper. Know what you love and don't let anyone tell you that it isn't "right" or good enough. Thankfully, everyone's tastes are not the same! Yes, I do realize that when it comes to the internet, trusting the paper/devices may come into play if you don't have a trusted "diamond guy" to guide you. And, as I've written SO many times before, that's why we love our diamond guy, David!

PT, sorry to hear your friend snagged your dream diamond. However, I know when the time is right, you WILL find your perfect diamond. And, if it is what you want, I know that if you call David, he will find it for you. Meanwhile, as you continue on your self-imposed diamond ban, continue to be amused by the diamond folks around you... you have other sources for beautiful stones and at least the crowd over there is entertaining!  ;)

Offline DiamondHunter

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 03:04:26 PM »
Sad to say, I have to agree with what PT said. 'Have paper will travel'. A paper-chase culture has bred whole generations of an**-retentive citizens.  :-[ That's why I kinda feel out of place. 

Ditto what OMC said. That's why I went with DBL. Walking down the road less travelled, it is often quieter and you get to enjoy the unsullied scenery.  ;)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely not for you...

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:16:50 PM »
 :bigclap: :bigclap:  Well said, Diamond Hunter, Trink, and Miz M.  and if I should be so lucky as to be reincarnated as a cat, I'd be rubbing your ankles, Pink!  :cat:

My dear mathematucian has his head stuck up the the paper trail half the time.  I'm having a difficult time educating him  :violent1: to value and beauty of the diamonds and rings the DBL routinely carries.  :thewife:

Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Mikla

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 07:49:59 AM »
 :goodpost: by all!  This is all so true.  Sometimes we go to the jewelry exchange or the estate jewelry store for kicks, and it's amazing what you hear these so-called "experts" saying.  Once in awhile they'll have some colored stones, like a teeny tiny horribly cut one, and you can't believe how ignorant they are when they try to sell it to you.  I just smile and move on.   ;D

Mikla
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline Rubymu

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 11:36:31 PM »
I recently chatted to a lovely girl told me that her diamond was so beautiful because of the clairty - the jeweller had her convinced that the higher the clarity, the more sparkly the stone.  When we started talking about it, she was sure I was mistaken and that her jeweller was right. 

So I left it and simply said how pretty her ring was. I'd hate to 'rain on her parade' so to speak, and she was really thrilled with her ring.  She'd never heard of cut other than meaning shape...  It makes me so sad to think that she's been convinced of something that simply isn't true just so someone can make a quick buck.

When I think of all the sparkly 'black sheep' at DBL, it makes me smile.  Like the J Si stone that Namtan is having set - not something my friend's jeweller would have thought to stock, but it's beyond beautiful.  Like Trinkette (and many others have said here too), it's how a diamond looks, not what the details are.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:37:23 PM by Rubymu »

Offline Mikla

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 02:10:21 PM »
Dear PinkTissue -

How is your mother doing?

Mikla
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:24:14 PM by Mikla »

My Gallery Images

Offline DiamondHunter

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 02:27:01 PM »
That's mighty considerate of you, Rubymu. But I was thinking: "What? No 'bean dip'?"  ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:29:10 PM by DiamondHunter »
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely not for you...

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 02:34:14 PM »
Kind of ruins the sparkle even more than a poor cut, DH.

Offline PinkTissue

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 03:05:45 PM »
Mikla

Thanks for asking after my mum. She is doing okay. After the initial scare where she had severe allergic reaction to a new chemo drug, she is doing really well. We went for a second opinion - and was told that the cancer is at a 'stable' stage. Hopefully, the new chemo drug would work  :)

Offline Mikla

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »
That's such good news!  We'll be sending our thoughts, good wishes, and prayers your way.   :vibes:

:bighug:  Mikla

My Gallery Images

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 07:44:50 PM »
Absolutely, Pink.  That is wonderful news about your mum.  But keep us informed.  I''m sure no one would want to pry...but if there is trouble - a trouble shared is a trouble halved.  Just like a joy shared is a joy doubled.  You've got a new family here -  warts, eccentricities, and all.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Alicia

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 03:34:08 AM »
Great news!