Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about Old Mine Diamonds- and old diamonds in general?  (Read 32327 times)

Offline Sarahbelle

Those antiques are so gorgeous! I'd love to see hand shots :D

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Here's what I decided....
If we were trying to find this stone today- and it existed as it does right now, classified as a Fancy Color by GIA- we'd have to pay more than $4k for it.

That's the price we've put on it....if a CDi member reader wanted to buy it now, we'd honor the old price.

:bigclap:

Offline Geena1

I don't know a whole lot about pricing, but my first reaction, David, was that your price for the antique ring seems very good.  A customer will come your way and will be happy.   :icon_cat:

Here is one of my vintage rings with an old-cut diamond set in platinum. I found it at a local pawn shop several years ago.  My guess is .50 carat,  I color,  VS1.
I like the design of the setting and the way the small diamonds frame the center stone, the whole effect is very lively and bright.

Offline cherrypie

Geena, your vintage ring is gorgeous!

Carol   8)

Offline ah2bqat

Well, Miz M.  Your rosecut pear has had me searching and now I wonder how she would look set a bit differently.  I found a couple of really pretty modern (I guess) stones.  One is even   :hail: :hail: BLOO :hail:  :hail:  and with a sticker of just over 6k, affordable, provided your eyesite is good enough to really see a.25ct diamond. :icon_cyclops_ani:
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
I don't know a whole lot about pricing, but my first reaction, David, was that your price for the antique ring seems very good.  A customer will come your way and will be happy.   :icon_cat:

Here is one of my vintage rings with an old-cut diamond set in platinum. I found it at a local pawn shop several years ago.  My guess is .50 carat,  I color,  VS1.
I like the design of the setting and the way the small diamonds frame the center stone, the whole effect is very lively and bright.

Geena, What a lovely ring!!!!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Well, Miz M.  Your rosecut pear has had me searching and now I wonder how she would look set a bit differently.  I found a couple of really pretty modern (I guess) stones.  One is even   :hail: :hail: BLOO :hail:  :hail:  and with a sticker of just over 6k, affordable, provided your eyesite is good enough to really see a.25ct diamond. :icon_cyclops_ani:

I promise we are shaking the trees for you ah2bqat!!

We're going to find you something amazing!!
David

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
What do you know about of the blue and yellow pears, Jeannie? They seem to have more faceting around the sides of the stones than my old rosecut. It's approx 1.25ct, btw. I know it isn't coloured, but it cost a heck of a lot less than 6k. Could you learn to love white?? ;D

Actually, David is right - the stones are out there and I'm sure he'll find them. DON'T settle! It will be worth it, really it will.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline ah2bqat

I promise we are shaking the trees for you ah2bqat!!

We're going to find you something amazing!!

I know you will, D.  We have all the time in the world  :angel9:, just not all the money. :tantrum:

Big yellow is a 2ct stone with an IGI cert.  They call it FIY, and I really like how it is cut.  The wild yellow border would make a cool pendant.  Little blue has a GIA report, but for color only.  I don't like him so much as the color doesn't really pop along the border.  But here's a brooch for you, Jen. 
And now I've finally seen what a  :hail: BLOOO  :hail: halo looks like!  It would be so perfect for R1945.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
There are rosecuts, and there are rosecuts. Jen's stone looks really nice.

It's also surprising that the little pear got Fancy Light Blue...it looks fairly grey to me.....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:42:12 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
That brooch is amazing. It reminds me of the paisley earrings that Carathead had. They were lovely.

Thanks, David! It was a gift from DH when I quit smoking. Actually, I haven't had a cigarette in two years tomorrow. Think I deserve another gift? ;D

The antiques roadshow is going to be filmed near where we live in a couple of weeks. I'm tempted to take the rosecut along, because I'm sure it's been altered a bit. I think it might have been part of a bigger piece and I'd love to have an antique expert look over it. I'm not crazy about being on TV though!

Jen
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:59:41 PM by Mrs Mitchell »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Congratulations Jen!!!

Funny, I can't picture you as a smoker....
Of course, it's almost surreal thinking of how we used to smoke on Planes, in stores....everywhere!
Today, there's always a small group of people puffing away in front of nearly every office building in Manhattan.....where you also used to be able to smoke at your desk!
David

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Thanks! I was a smoker, alright. 20 a day on a good day (I'm kidding myself, it was probably nearer 40 most days).  Seems like a lifetime ago since I smoked in my office. None of that since the smoking ban here.

I miss cigarettes though. When I get really old, I'm going to take up smoking again. :laugh:

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Two guys talking:

"Do you smoke after sex" asked one?
"I never looked" replied the other...
David

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
We're here all week folks- try the veal.

Seriously- I saw a 4 and a half carat OEC this afternoon- it was amazing!
Problem is, it was at a cutter we're very close with- and as such, they valued the stone with a re-cut in mind.
GIA had graded the diamond L/VS1- and my friend believes he can cut it to a modern stone, and possible get IF.
Anyway, what this adds up to is that the stone would have a price well over $50k.....

I was thinking,......$20K???
David

Offline ah2bqat

EEEK! :scared: Now that's a price difference. 

Miz M, how'd you wangle that?  I quit smoking after 35 years - when DH and the kids moved in, 2 years ago, also.  I didn't even get a thank you!  ??? 

And I do love your rosecut pear.  My apology if I gave any other impression!  She's what made me search out more rose cuts.  Yours doesn't have a Brazilian tiny facets, but I'll bet there's no stopping the fire in it when your baby catches the light.  I thought other folks might enjoy seeing a 'modern' version of the cut.  Sort of like the differences between OMC and RB or an old cushion and that strange cushion-brilliant cut that leaves me a bit schized.  :drunken_smilie: :xyxnervous:

btw - have you ever thought about having D make a diamond studded vine to which you could attach her and make a very nice brooch?  With her mount looking a bit like 2 little leaves, think of a small pin shaped like a twig with a few matching leaves and a catch on the back which could show her off like a ripe pear.  :pear:

Offline GracefulLion

I have not been able to be around here as much as I like, but I have been absolutely loving these antique and antique-like pieces!  If I had the cash lying around I would be very torn between the loose 1.17 and the one set with the sapphires baguettes!  And Geena, I LOVE yours!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 09:13:28 PM by GracefulLion »

Offline Geena1

Thanks for your sweet comments about my ring.   :love1:

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Two guys talking:

"Do you smoke after sex" asked one?
"I never looked" replied the other...

Ok, you should probably be on the stage! ;D

Ah2bqat, sorry - I wasn't thinking you didn't like it at all, I didn't mean to give that impression! I was just interested in the different style of cutting rose cuts. I've never thought of having it set as a brooch, because I'm famous for losing them, but from time to time I wonder if the stone and it's foil back/bezel could be soldered onto a band to wear as a ring, without the little leaves at the top. I'm fairly sure it used to be something else anyway, so I'm not too worried about messing with it, although I wouldn't like to take the stone out of its setting completely, since the bezel seems to be original.

Geena, your ring really is a beauty. Hope you enjoy it, looks like a fireball!

Jen

Offline Geena1

My eyes popped out of my head when I saw this ring. It belongs to my friend. She is one of my closest friends. She doesn't wear any jewelry except for a wide plain gold wedding band. She inherited this ring from her aunt & it sits in storage. I took this photo of it for her to use when she decided she wanted to sell it a few years ago...but then she changed her mind and it now sits in storage. I tell her, "You should wear it! The old-cut diamonds are at least 1 carat each and the center sapphire is stunning.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
That's in a league of its own, really. What can I say? It's phenomenal.

Jen

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Wow- that IS a stunniong ring!!
David

Offline Geena1

it's a lonely ring--it sits alone unworn.  >:D