Author Topic: Why mount a sapphire under a diamond?  (Read 10378 times)

Offline ah2bqat

Why mount a sapphire under a diamond?
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:41:21 PM »
 :david:

I was poking around the web and saw a ring with a white diamond, with a slightly smaller, but looked like a very pretty blue, sapphire mounted directly under the diamond.  What would that really accomplish?  :icon_scratch:
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: Why mount a sapphire under a diamond?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:06:15 PM »
Interesting!

What shape was the diamond?
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:55:19 AM »
you couldn't tell.  It was a side shot.  I can't find it right now, but I've been thru a huge number of sites today.  I'll try again tomorrow. ???

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:42:25 AM »
ah2bqat, was this an older piece of jewelry? I can't remember where I learned of this it has been quite awhile but it is my understanding that colored gemstones (esp. ruby, sapphire) have been mounted under diamonds in rings as a subtle way to affect the perceived color of the diamond when viewed from above. I wish I could remember where I sourced this info. I've never seen it done in person, so of course, I have no idea how viable this type of practice is. Could be completely ridiculous. But, I do remember running across this somewhere. Anyway, without seeing a pic of what you were looking at it is difficult to tell exactly what is going on. Perhaps it is just a little design surprise...?

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »
I also remember seeing something like this- and also can't remember where!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 05:01:30 PM »
Trinkette, I think you were right the first time - it's to make a diamond throw blue light.  I wonder what the face would look like.  Shame it didn't have one of those to go with the side shot.

Maybe we could park some bitty sapphires behind some tiny diamonds and pretend they're BLOOO? >:D

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:31:02 PM »

It's nice to know that I can never ever come up with something truly original. I jokingly suggested putting emeralds under the light green to make it greener...

nihil novi sub sole

Offline Foxylady

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:44:45 PM »

It's nice to know that I can never ever come up with something truly original. I jokingly suggested putting emeralds under the light green to make it greener...

nihil novi sub sole

Nothing new there?  ;D

Foxylady  :heart2:

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 06:42:21 PM »
OMC, I think nobody had more original ideas than you do. But they are classic style originals. So they are not fugly left field sort of original. They are sort of original in the sense that vintage jewelry is original. It has a style but not a copy.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 06:54:47 PM »
For what it is worth, SOMEONE out there thinks the sapphire-under-diamond method works as a way to give the impression the diamond radiates color. Currently, there is at least one jewelry classified on the internet that advertises a new diamond solitaire ring, quite modern in style, actually,  with the diamond mounted above two blue sapphires. Part of the description for the piece reads: "The mounting contains two sapphires set directly under the solitaire, which causes the diamond to emit natural blue tones with light reflection."  :angel:

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 08:19:11 PM »
For what it is worth, SOMEONE out there thinks the sapphire-under-diamond method works as a way to give the impression the diamond radiates color. Currently, there is at least one jewelry classified on the internet that advertises a new diamond solitaire ring, quite modern in style, actually,  with the diamond mounted above two blue sapphires. :angel:

Any possibility of a face-up shot of one of those, Trinkette?  I'd love to see what looking thru a diamond with sapphires behind it would look like.  :camera: 

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 08:18:25 AM »
Sorry, ah2bqat, I didn't get back to you on this. The web photo I saw was angled only from the side...  :dontknow:

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 11:52:32 PM »
The ones I've seen were the same way.  Makes me wonder if the head-on look isn't really all that great.

Offline NolaD

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 10:19:34 AM »
The designer probably just thought it was pretty? Sapphires and other precious gemstones are usually set as the center stone or as accent stones, mounted on either side of the center stone. A sapphire set under a diamond is an unusual design but I see no problems with it.  ;D