Author Topic: Appraisals for asschers.  (Read 3274 times)

Offline AmyNelRN

Appraisals for asschers.
« on: November 24, 2008, 12:03:18 PM »
Had an appraisal done of my asscher engagement ring, by someone who did not sell many at a store that was a small stand alone chain in the South.  There were "classes" to the appraisal....yada yada.  Got my diamond on W. 46th street upstairs near Rockefeller and the stone is gorgeous, but it was appraised as "Good" cut quality byt the guys down South.  Ultimately, I don't care what the classes or names on the appraisal say, but it dawns on me that the businesses "computerized-appraisal-system" (that was "bare-bones" to say the least) did not likely have the best appraisal set-up for asschers in the works likely as the proportions can be so different.  Anywho.  Any suggestiongs as to where to go for a good Asscher appraisal in the Northeast other than going strait back to the place of purchase in New York?  I'd rather a third party...We live in Rhode Island, but I will not let the ring or stone leave my sight for any purpose.  Just me.  Any trustworthy friends in the Northeast that you know of?  We travel a lot, I'm open to suggestion here from anyone as long as the jeweler is great with asscher stone appraisal.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:06:05 PM by AmyNelRN »

Offline Trinkette

Re: Appraisals for asschers.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 01:09:28 PM »
Hi AmyNelRN, welcome to the forum. I used to live in New England (well, pretty much ALL over NE), including many years in Rhode Island. I miss "the old country!"

Hope to see you around the forum!  :hello:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:17:10 PM by Diamondsbylauren »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 01:30:19 PM »
HI Amy, Welcome to CDI!

Here's a few things that come to mind:
A pet peeve of  mine is sellers that do not provide an appraisal with a purchase free of charge.
The purpose of such an appraisal would be for insurance, as opposed to verification of a purchase.
So this type of appraisal is really only good if you trust the seller.
If you don't trust the seller, then get a second opinion.
Of course if you didn't trust the seller, why buy from them.....

I read your other post, so I know a little bit about the diamond you purchased.
You wrote that you shopped for some very specific proportions, so I'll assume you picked the diamond.

Since you like the way it's cut, what an appraiser says should not really make a difference.
That, plus the fact that there are no workable standards for judging the cut of an Asscher, so whatever cut grade anyone gives it is meaningless.

It kind of sounds like you're shopping for an appraiser that will tell you what you want to hear.
If an appraiser is actually called for, having one who says what you want to hear would be counterproductive. The job of an appraiser  is to be impartial.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline AmyNelRN

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
I see.  I guess I gave a poor impression of my pride.  I apologize.

Like I said above,... I don't think it matters, either, what the appraisal says, but one thing I should clarify....my ring is two and a half years old....not new.  I have been married for two years as of Nov. 11th.  I guess I could have clarified.  :)  Actually, just shopping around for a proper update appraiser for my insurance policy with jewelers mutual as I am under the impression that anytime a change to the ring has been made that a new appraisal should be done.  The head on my ring is different now than the original... and thus JM says the ring needs a new one. It's not for my own sake.  It's value is in my heart anyway.   :angel:

The original appr. from the South was a purchased one (glad you gave the low down here about this) from the store that I bought the setting from.  :-\
 I did not like the store at all, but they sold ArtCarved Bridal and I just wanted to get it over with (since I looked for a long time for the stone first) and for 75 bucks got the appr. completed, with the setting and was out the door head home with it on my finger finally! Yahoo. 

Anyway,....  Just looking for anyone who may happen to know a Northeastern reputable appraisal group that does proper appraisals in my area for the insurance update info appraisal.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:29:16 PM by AmyNelRN »

Offline AmyNelRN

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
OH, I see...   

I have a newborn and am very very tired.  LOL!  I guess you are saying I can go to the place of purchase of the diamond and get an appraisal there.  Well... it was purcased seperate from the setting and now they have since then been set and appraised together as a set.  So I prefer to have them appraised as a set.  I am not sure that the New York business would appraise anything that the family did not sell themselves.. pretty sure not.   hum...   ok gotta go...crying son.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:27:39 PM by AmyNelRN »

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
Hi there, welcome!

Congratulations on your new baby. You're in good company here, David has a new baby boy too!

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who'd like to see pics of your asscher. :)  It sounds lovely!

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 06:46:42 PM »

Like I said above,... I don't think it matters, either, what the appraisal says, but one thing I should clarify....my ring is two and a half years old....not new.  I have been married for two years as of Nov. 11th.  I guess I could have clarified.  :)  Actually, just shopping around for a proper update appraiser for my insurance policy with jewelers mutual as I am under the impression that anytime a change to the ring has been made that a new appraisal should be done.  The head on my ring is different now than the original... and thus JM says the ring needs a new one. It's not for my own sake.  It's value is in my heart anyway.   :angel:

The original appr. from the South was a purchased one (glad you gave the low down here about this) from the store that I bought the setting from.  :-\
 I did not like the store at all, but they sold ArtCarved Bridal and I just wanted to get it over with (since I looked for a long time for the stone first) and for 75 bucks got the appr. completed, with the setting and was out the door head home with it on my finger finally! Yahoo. 

Anyway,....  Just looking for anyone who may happen to know a Northeastern reputable appraisal group that does proper appraisals in my area for the insurance update info appraisal.

HI Amy,
As the dad of a 2 1/2 month old, I know waht you are going thru, and I totally apologize to YOU! I was kind of busy this afternoon, in re-reading my response, I was a bit off base.

You rock.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:31:50 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:37:02 PM »
Anyway, back to the subject at hand....
Insurance is a common reason for needing an appraisal.
The insurance company just needs a description, and a value from someone considered qualified to write the appraisal.
It's critical for the appraiser to discuss the value of the ring with the client.
In the event of a loss the insurance company is not going to simply pay whatever the appraisal says- they are going to force the insured to settle. That's why you want to aviod an inflated value on an appraisal- you could end up paying a higher premium for no reason at all.

Please give us a call and we will make sure you find someone to assist you in this matter!
David

Offline jewellk

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 09:23:46 PM »
This might be a silly question but what's the difference between an appraisal done for insurance vs. one done for retail? I've had a few things "appraised" and when I brought the paper home, dh asks if it was an insurance appraisal or retail...I'm not sure what he means by that...?  :dontknow:
Mindi  :munky2:

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 10:02:14 PM »
Great questions jewellk
An important part of an appraiser's job is finding out the purpose for the appraiser.
Let's say someone inherited a piece of jewelry and wanted to sell it.
In such a case, the best thing an appraiser can do is give them an idea what they might expect to sell it for.
That's a totally different purpose than an appraisal for insuring replacement value- and likely a very different valuation, as well.

I'm not sure what dh means by an appraisal done for retail.....
David

Offline AmyNelRN

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 08:32:11 AM »

HI Amy,
As the dad of a 2 1/2 month old, I know waht you are going thru, and I totally apologize to YOU! I was kind of busy this afternoon, in re-reading my response, I was a bit off base.

You rock.

David, 

Got your response and e-mail.  No problem.  When busy.... it can get so confusing and boy I am obviously not so good at wording my posts clearly.  I see that now after re-reading my first post also.  Thanks!
Ah Children:..... The Great Life.   :laugh:

My DH and I just watched The Great Gatsby this week on movie and one of the songs from the 20's says that the rich get rich and the poor get children.  HA!    Whether in want or plenty,...kids will be kids.   :laugh:
Here's our newest pic.  :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:34:45 AM by AmyNelRN »

Offline AmyNelRN

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 09:09:23 AM »
Hi AmyNelRN, welcome to the forum. I used to live in New England (well, pretty much ALL over NE), including many years in Rhode Island. I miss "the old country!"

Hope to see you around the forum!  :hello:

Thanks Trinkette,

Nice to Meet You.   :) and see you soon too!  :radiant:

Warmly,
Amy

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 12:02:04 PM »
Awww! Gorgeous baby - thanks for the photo! Enjoy every minute with your precious little one.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com