Author Topic: care for emeralds  (Read 5489 times)

Offline cocobelle

care for emeralds
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »
I have an emerald ballerina ring.  Somewhere I heard that - because emeralds are soft - they cannot be put into an ultrasonic cleaner - is this true?  If so - how is the best way to clean a ring with emeralds?

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: care for emeralds
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »
Great Question- which I'm not sure of the answer....
I'm pretty sure you're correct on the part about not using an ultra-sonic.
I will check with an expert on emerald care tomorrow and let you know!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:35:03 PM »
Hi Cocobelle!  You're correct, emeralds can be brittle and they do not like ultrasonics, heat (because they may fracture) or solvents/cleaning solutions (because they can dissolve oils and fillers that may be in the stone). Best to clean with a damp cloth and wipe dry. I've heard that Windex is OK, if you wipe dry immediately. Also, I've read that ionic cleaners are OK for emeralds, but, I've never tried it.

Such a beautiful stone and such a pain to keep clean! It is all part of why I love/hate emeralds...  ::)

Welcome to the forum, BTW.  :hello:

Offline cocobelle

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Thank you so much Trinkette (I love your name BTW).  I'll try that.  I had my eye one the emerald ballerina that David offered, but then my grandmother gave me hers (**SIGH**)

I've worn it pretty much daily since then.  There's quite a bit of muck that I'd like to clean out.  I'll try your windex solution and wait to hear what David finds out. ;D

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:37 PM »
I will check, but I'm pretty sure it won't be far from what Trinkette suggested- if at all!

One piece of advice I can give- try to remove the rings before putting them in a position of getting really dirty- like putting on hand lotion, for example.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »
Cocobelle, right back at you... I LOVE your name.  :chestbump:

I've never tried the Windex, I've just heard that it is safe.  But, to be honest, that seems weird to me because it seems like something that could dissolve fillers and oils that may be in an emerald, exactly what you DON'T want to do; so, I've chickened out and never tried Windex myself. I just use warm water and a toothbrush or soft cloth with my emerald pieces. And I don't clean often (OTOH,  when I'm wearing them, my diamonds hit the cleaner nearly everyday). I'd wait for David's advice before risking your grandmother's emerald ring.

How sweet of her to give you her ring, BTW!

Offline cocobelle

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:50:20 PM »
My grandma loves me.  She's actually given me a couple of jewelry pieces. She also gave me this magnificent citrine ring - the color of orange honey - about the size of a dime, surrounded by miniature citrines.  When it's clean, it looks like a cough lozenge.  I'm an orange/brown kinda person, so it suits me just fine.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:15:36 PM »
Sounds lovely. Now, already, you have SEVERAL goodies to   :photo: and share with us!  ;)

Offline Cockneysparrow

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
Hi Cocobelle

Please don't use Windex on your Emeralds.

The best way to clean them is to get a soft toothbrush (like one for a small child), dip that in room temperature water, or tepid if the emerald is very dirty, add a tiny bit of washing up liquid, shake off the excess water and then clean the emerald.  To rinse, dip your toothbrush again in the water and keep doing that until the emerald is clean.  You could risk putting the ring VERY briefly into tepid water to rinse but do not leave it in there.

Hope that helps.