Author Topic: Canary Newbie question....  (Read 5017 times)

Offline elizabeth

Canary Newbie question....
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:08:30 PM »
What is considered a Canary Diamond?????  Any yellow diamond??? ??? ???  I am looking at DBL for a 3 ct asscher or cushion cut "white diamond"  BUT DH keeps throwing out "canary diamond."  He likes them because they are different!  Opinions please..... 

Offline WM

• CDI Member
Re: Canary Newbie question....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:40:50 PM »
"Canary" is actually a term used by consumers. And, yes, it's a yellow diamond. The trade does not refer to them as canary diamonds but we know what you are talking about when you say the term.

The page below will give you a visual overview of the yellow diamond grading scale for color. The most saturated in color being the most scandalously expensive to the lightest yellow which are the most affordable but quite sparkly and beautiful.

Yellow Diamond Grading

We are not prejudiced against any shape or color diamond here. We are politically correct diamond lovers.

You will find that many of us LOVE asscher cuts, me being one of those. I also love cushions. But this is something you will wear and want to enjoy.

So perhaps you could hang around and see what everyone else has and then choose that which floats your boat. No one will MAKE you love a yellow diamond. It either speaks to you or it doesn't. However, there is sometimes a roadblock with the yellow diamonds since you don't see them as much and finding one in a regular jewelry store that is well cut is rare.

It's an emotional purchase and one that needs to make you happy.

Oh, I forgot my manners. Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:49:52 PM »
Hi Elizabeth!
Welcome to CDI!

People like labels.
"He's a hottie"
Which could mean so many things to so many people.

"Canary" is in the common vernacular describing yellow diamonds.

When DBL grades and represents them, we use more specific gemological descriptions.
"Natural Fancy Yellow" for example.

But, the way I see it- if a W-X, or a Y-Z- even an S-T color- looks yellow, you have permission to call it a "Canary"- even if we don't!

David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline kleinkath

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »
I agree with David and WM.  You need to decide what it is that you like.  And, you can call it whatever you want :)  I am a "canary" lover and have always wanted one.  Part of what appeals to me is that they are different.  But, you need to decide what speaks to you.

For many of us here diamonds are an "emotional" purchase and when you see the right one you will know it.   I like to say that it will call you name :)  Hang around and look at all of the different options.  I have a feeling that you will just know when you have found the right one!

Oh, and 3 cts of anything is going to be one amazing diamond  8)
:cat: KK :cat:

Offline elizabeth

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:14:35 AM »
Thanks for the WELCOME  ;D

I have always LOVED the "Canary's" but I guess NOW that they seem to be so popular I turned back toward the "old fashion" cushion cut!   ;)  Hmmmm .... decisions decisions  ::)

I have no idea why BUT I keep being drawn to this BEAUTY!  http://rockdiamond.com/index.php?crn=208&rn=783&action=show_detail

Hubby told me to "GET IT" last night, he though he was going to have to spend more  :P so he was pleasantly surprised by the price and beauty of course!   My anniversary isn't till April 27th so I have time to look!  :angel:    But of course if "we" find something before then it would be "OK!"

Elizabeth

Offline annie1

• CDI Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 09:21:33 AM »
::cough:: yellow cushion ::cough::

Welcome! 

As a gal who has a Y-Z colored diamond for her engagement ring, I can't say enough good things about it.  It's great to have a little sunshine on your finger every day. 

I know what you mean about wanting a beautiful and classic white cushion though.  I'm sure that once you find 'the one,' you'll know.

If that great radiant turns out to be it, I think it will look spectacular!
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 09:47:42 AM »
Hi Elizabeth & welcome!

You've come to the right place if you're looking for a diamond, yellow, or even colorless.

That's one DROP DEAD gorgeous yellow Radiant!!!!

:) Amy

Offline elizabeth

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »
 ::)   WOW    ::)  Love the "squareness" of this one!

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php?crn=208&rn=551&action=show_detail

This is a real BEAUTY too!  Believe it or not I may have been swayed already!  I have 2 beautiful trillions to set with one of these BEAUTYS!

I may wait on the cushion/asscher because I really want to wear my next one with my wedding band, eternity channel set princess diamonds.  A cushion or asscher I would love to be set with pink in the "halo" setting..... PLUS hubby will be soooo pleased with the price of these The cushion/asscher will be here sooer than later!

If you don't mind give me your honest opion between these 2 diamonds!  Keep in mind I want to set them with trillions in a platinum ....simple setting!   8)

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php?crn=208&rn=783&action=show_detail

Offline GracefulLion

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 10:29:11 AM »
I should really try to persuade you to take the 3.04 U-V, as I so want the 3.18 Y-Z for myself, but honestly, I think that the 3.18 with your trills (what size are they) will be awesome!!!!! 

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 11:09:32 AM »
elizabeth- It depends on your trills if you already own the trills. There's no way to tell until David does one of his "layouts" which one will work best with the trills you already have. Making a three stone ring is not as easy as it seems and has more to do with proportion than carat weight or even measurements alone. You gotta eye it.

So in other words, you'd send the trills to David and he'd find the center stone that worked best and send you something like this so you can see the proportion.

Of course the two diamonds you have chosen are stunning. One is more square and matchbook shape the other slightly more rectangular. But again, it would depend on your trills. It might be you need a 3.5 or a 2.5 to suit the trills.

Or you might say that you don't want the trills to dictate your center, make those puppies into earrings and choose different side stones for your ring. That's a two for one straight from the diamond obsessed.

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 11:53:07 AM »
Elizabeth,

I love the 2nd one more, the 3.18 Y-Z.......sorry GL!

It has such an amazing yellow sparkle & I just love the shape of that radiant! It's stunning!

But WM's right, it'll depend on if your trills will fit with that diamond.

If your dead set on getting one of those radiants, David could hand pick some other trilliants that would fit perfect with it......and you could use your other trills as earrings.

Ok, maybe I'm "helping" too much!

Good luck! Amy

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »
Absolutely!  Send the trills to David and let him help you make the choice.  That is most definitely the way to go.  With these kind of decisions, you have to place some trust in the master.  David will steer you in the right direction - no question.  Both of your choices are STUNNING but he has all the knowledge and experience to help you decide what will be best with your trillions.  I, for one, am really excited to see this done - it sounds like it will be spectacular!

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 01:46:58 PM »
Hubby told me to "GET IT" last night, he though he was going to have to spend more  :P so he was pleasantly surprised by the price and beauty of course!   My anniversary isn't till April 27th so I have time to look!  :angel:    But of course if "we" find something before then it would be "OK!"

This was your husband who said this? I think we might all be falling in love with him elizabeth.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 01:51:02 PM »
Hi Everyone!

First off, we've been so very busy, it's hard to keep everything current

R1401 is sold.

The 3.18 is now set into an awesome 1/2 moon ring!

In terms of using stones you have already....sometimes it works, and sometimes not.
We've had side diamonds wait here for over a year till I find a center that pleases me......
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 01:52:44 PM »

Hubby told me to "GET IT" last night,

Elizabeth, you better take advantage of that while you can! My hubby RARELY says that!!!

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 01:55:56 PM »
Hi Everyone!

The 3.18 is now set into an awesome 1/2 moon ring!

Elizabeth, do you like half moons, or do you have your heart set on trills? It's a stunning ring with the half moons. You should watch the movie on it!

Offline elizabeth

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 03:10:49 PM »
Thanks!  I am not crazy about the half moons.... I am sure on my finger it would looks beautiful....   
I have fallen in LOVE with htis setting ...  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120089253594&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:2

But love the shape and color of this one....
http://rockdiamond.com/index.php?crn=208&rn=551&action=show_detail
And I have decided to loeave my trilliants out of it  ;D

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 04:10:14 PM »
Oh I love the squarer of the two as well - plus it faces up bigger than the one already set.  Hey!  Size matters!   ;D  Are you going to have David look for traps to go with it?  My first ring had traps and it was a corker! 

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 04:46:48 PM »
Apparently I need a new sold list.   I just asked for one so I can mark things up to date.

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 07:40:11 PM »
If my husband ever told me to "get it"...you better believe I would have been on the phone with David before he could finish his sentence!!  You would see the dust flying! :sign19:  Seriously,  it may be along time before you find the exact radiant/cushion to fit your trillions.    I absolutely love the radiant with the half moons!   I know that it is a hard decision, and what a decision to have!     If you still want a white cushion then maybe you can have the best of both worlds and do yellow sidestones like  "Piglette" did!!   That would be SMASHING!!  Here is the link:

http://coloreddiamond.info/colored-diamonds/yellows-as-side-diamonds/0/

Looking forward to seeing what you decide! ~Ronda

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 09:50:08 PM »
David is THE source for yellow and light yellow radiant cuts.  You'll just know to strike while the iron is hot. But trust me. Every time I cry that something leaves, something else comes along that I can't LIVE without.  It doesn't always waltz in immediately, but he gets a lot of stuff particularly yellow radiants.

Offline kleinkath

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 10:12:48 AM »
I agree with WM!  David always seems to have a wide variety of yellow radiants!  I am sure that you will find what you are looking for :)
:cat: KK :cat:

Snooper

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 10:10:47 PM »
If my husband ever told me to "get it"...you better believe I would have been on the phone with David before he could finish his sentence!!  You would see the dust flying!

:Dancing_biggrin: :laughing4: