Author Topic: Comparing Asscher Cut Diamonds  (Read 17484 times)

Offline diamondjunkie

Re: Comparing Asscher Cut Diamonds
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »
The diamonds are both going to get GIA reports.

We weren't going to but when Trinkette uses such a large font, we get the message ( don;t want to upset Trinkette now, do we....heheheh)

Not unless you want more coconuts............ ;D

Looking forward to seeing what GIA have to say.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 03:50:11 PM »
The diamonds are both going to get GIA reports.

Thank you. Now, I'll sleep easier. And, I'll type smaller.  :angel:

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 05:01:05 PM »
Of course I'd never say you're...wrong ....but let's see what GIA has to say!

Yep. Got the message. Egg-wiping equipment at the ready.  ;D

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:21 PM »
Well....egg on my face!

GIA gradet he 1.59 L color.
I had graded it as O-P.
Here's my pre GIA estimate
ITEM #: R2437
LOOSE DIAMOND
WEIGHT: 1.59ct
SHAPE: Asscher Cut
COLOR: O-P
CLARITY: SI1
MEASUREMENTS: 6.48 x 6.32 x 4.35 mm
TOTAL DEPTH: 68.8%
FLUORESCENCE: NONE

Live and learn!

INteresting... GIA called the shape "Cut Cornered Square Step Cut"
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:22 PM »
Call it whatever you like O, P, L... whatever! This little lovely is still on my sparkly list (ever-growing list, that is).

Ummmm, since YOU mentioned it... Hey, GRAMPS!  :david: How about some new GLASSES? Hehehehehehehehe. (Geez, it's like the blind leading the blind around here). 8)

Offline robin

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »
That's interesting!  My asscher's report says "square emerald cut."

But... WHAT is a "twinning wisp"??

Offline GracefulLion

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »
interesting. So does this increase the price? By a lot?     

Offline CityGirl

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
But... WHAT is a "twinning wisp"??

Very hard to spot is what they are!!  Actually they are a remnant of the twinning process in the diamond crystal.  So as the crystal is forming, it can twist on an axis (sort of like a rubics cube).  The resulting crystal continues to grow but now the the "halves" on either side of the twinning plane are growing in different directions.  The following example is a quartz crystal (not a diamond) but it shows more clearly how the crystal would have been straight had it not twinned. 

Here's an actual twinned diamond crystal that we in the biz call a "macle".  Rough of this shape gets used to make trillions, hearts and other shapes that can take advantage of an oddly shaped and often shallow rough.

SOOO to finally answer your question...a twinning wisp is a group of inclusions that formed when the crystal twinned and so exist in only one plane (the twinning plane).  It may be made up of needles or crystals or what-have-you but the important thing is that they all exist together in the same 2-Dimensional plane within the stone.  Often times they are found in a central location and tend to radiate outwards toward the edges of the stone, like a wispy cloud.  Here's a pic:

These twinning wisps are toward the side of the finished stone but if you were to turn the stone and look at them through the girdle, they would all be in the same plane.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
Great Info CityGirl!!

interesting. So does this increase the price? By a lot?     

Actually not- the price will go up a little ( $200) as we will add the cost of the GIA report

Call it whatever you like – O, P, L... whatever! This little lovely is still on my sparkly list (ever-growing list, that is).

Ummmm, since YOU mentioned it... Hey, GRAMPS!  :david: How about some new GLASSES? Hehehehehehehehe. (Geez, it's like the blind leading the blind around here). 8)

Just call me Mr Magoo!!!
David

Offline Perfect Diamond

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 01:37:10 PM »
So the Asshcer cut can have other names like square emerald and that new one. I'm also surprised to see that the stone is graded L color since it pretty look much like near colorless in the photos. I guess we really need to see the stone in the Sunshine in order to see it's true colors... :4:

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »
Well cut diamonds do look "whiter". I've seen that one for myself. David showed me. And I wear a J. I'd swear it was a higher color if I didn't have a GIA report that said differently.

Offline Perfect Diamond

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2008, 11:11:38 AM »
Well cut diamonds do look "whiter". I've seen that one for myself. David showed me. And I wear a J. I'd swear it was a higher color if I didn't have a GIA report that said differently.

Yes! A well cut diamond looks whiter face up. D color Round Brilliant Diamond will look whiter than a D color Princess Cut. It is bcoz Round Brilliant reflects the most light on the top making the diamond looks bright.
:4:

Offline AmyNelRN

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 11:50:12 PM »
I am new to this, but I love Asschers so I will take a jab at this since I own one sorta similar to the one on the left.  Obviously, the one on the left seems to be slightly a little less in carat weight (to the naked eye) though I can't tell for sure.  The one on the right seems to be loosing light reflection though due to it's cut... I presume because of it's pavilion angles and/or table.  If I remember correctly ( I'm in the reply section now so I can't see them both), but the table, for the one on the R, was quite large and thus would lose a good bit of light maybe??? and the facets on the bottom not very beveled thus losing some of the asscher qualities as well as some of the refraction inside the stone..... though I'm not sure that the pavilion height itself would have been so bad with such a large table like that had it been beveled more.....but boy was it tall!  Hum... the one on the left was def. more yellow for sure, but much better with light reflection and therefore a prettier cut in my opinion, but needed some polishing and symmetry for sure.  Well both stones had sides that were unequal legnths and widths.  My stone is unequal lengths and widths too though... I just wanted excellent cut, color, symmetry, and polish.... I will post a pic to show off as a newbie.  Hope you don't my doing so since it wasn't from DBL, but I totally trust DBL and almost bought from this group as the prices are so proper and ethical for the quality they are giving.  Just outstanding products and I hope to one day be able to get to have one of their colored stones(prefereably one of the peach(y) pink/brown stones in our budget. 

On a side note: My dream is to own a light blue diamond of some sort and know that will never be in the budget.  >:( lol.  :)   :4:

more info:
GIA cert reveals
6.4 x 6.34 x 4.44
1.51ct
70% depth
57%table
th to vth
no culet
ex pol
ex sym
SI1
F
no flour.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:14:50 AM by AmyNelRN »

Offline GracefulLion

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 11:52:37 PM »
That is a beautiful ring!! Welcome!

Offline AmyNelRN

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 12:02:10 AM »
Thanks GL!  I am blessed to have been able to pick it out.  My DH was (and still is) a Dear Husband.  :angel: I was really picky about that I wanted a certain pavilian height with a low table percentage.  It took me forever to get the numbers even close and when I did, I started getting the cut and reflection that I wanted to see.  I love the look of mine and I'm sure other equations hit it... I just went with what seemed to work for me.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:03:40 AM by AmyNelRN »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »
HI Amy- welcome!
Congrats on your new ring!!
It looks lovely.

We actually discourage folks from "buying by the numbers" and NEVER buy our own diamonds that way.
Still, you got a ring you love, and that's the most important part.

There's actually an Asscher Cut Diamond we're considering today with totally different proportions.
The one we're looking at is 58% table ( similar to yours) but a 47.6% depth.
Looking at the totally useless charts which purport to grade the cut of an Asscher, this would fall outside the range considered "well cut"...but I gotta tell you, the 1.54 we're looking at is gorgeous- even if we don;t buy it.
One of the reasons I am considering it is the size.
It's a 1.54 carat that measures 7.21 x 7.21 x 3.43 ( an exact square)

I'll see about posting some photos of it later today.......
David

Offline AmyNelRN

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2008, 02:58:22 PM »
David,  I can't wait to see the pics.... if I could have gotten more face up size with the same reflective light like your saying here,.. I would have... I definitly found that the low table was the key in my search..though it did happen that my depth was just that big.... so of course the spread lost the width and length...nonetheless, I just wanted it not to have that dark look that a lot of asschers end up getting.... I have seen similar beautiful facing up asschers on your site with beautiful reflection of white light out of the top,....so I think you are right about not going by numbers alone.  I definitly am not a fan of the whole 45/45 rule either or whatever the diamond guy says or whatever his name is... what is it... Fred Cueller or something.  silly.  any way.  I am a fan of all your diamonds, but particularly watch out for asschers, radiants, and cushions.  I love your radiant and cusion work and am amazed in wonder and the variations in faceting....ok this convo coud go on forever... I'll shut up now.     Is there a star struck smily anywhere?  :) :radiant:

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2008, 04:20:43 PM »
Aha! Here it is! I was looking for pics of your asscher in another thread, AmyNelRN. It's STUNNING! What a beautiful ring.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2008, 04:21:48 PM »
HI Amy- welcome!
Congrats on your new ring!!
It looks lovely.

We actually discourage folks from "buying by the numbers" and NEVER buy our own diamonds that way.
Still, you got a ring you love, and that's the most important part.

There's actually an Asscher Cut Diamond we're considering today with totally different proportions.
The one we're looking at is 58% table ( similar to yours) but a 47.6% depth.
Looking at the totally useless charts which purport to grade the cut of an Asscher, this would fall outside the range considered "well cut"...but I gotta tell you, the 1.54 we're looking at is gorgeous- even if we don;t buy it.
One of the reasons I am considering it is the size.
It's a 1.54 carat that measures 7.21 x 7.21 x 3.43 ( an exact square)

I'll see about posting some photos of it later today.......

Sounds glorious. I'm looking forward to seeing this, penniless though I am...
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2008, 04:43:31 PM »
From the GIA report:
H/VVs2
7.21 x7.21 x 3.43
Depth: 47.6
table: 58%
Pol: VG
Sym: G
David

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2008, 06:29:55 PM »
well heloooo!!!!  :love7: :love7: :love7: :love7:

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2008, 10:09:22 PM »
looks pretty sexy to me!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »
ace, you crack me up.

And I'm with sanchia. Very sexy ring. Nice solitaire and wowser power.

Where are my manners? Welcome Amy. And your ring is lovely. I'm a emerald/asscher lover, too.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:45:42 PM by webmistress »

Offline GracefulLion

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 11:10:13 PM »
From the GIA report:
H/VVs2
7.21 x7.21 x 3.43
Depth: 47.6
table: 58%
Pol: VG
Sym: G

OMG!  FAB-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-LOUS!!!!!!!!!!!  Please tell me you are stocking this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2008, 08:58:49 AM »
What a fantabulous asshcer ring!!!
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.