Author Topic: Is it true that purple diamonds are rarer than red?  (Read 11730 times)

Offline Perfect Diamond

Is it true that purple diamonds are rarer than red?
« on: June 04, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »

I have been told that there are fewer purple and violet diamonds than red. Does anyone here can verify this?
 :pear2:

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: Is it true that purple diamonds are rarer than red?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »
Hi PD- Welcome to Cdi!!

Actually, Red is the rarest color- far more rare than purple...

Have you seen these?
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Mikla

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:30:22 PM »
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Moussaieff Red Diamond is a diamond measuring 5.11 carats (1.022 g) with a triangular brilliant cut (sometimes called a trillion or a trilliant cut), rated in color as Fancy Red by the Gemological Institute of America. While this may seem relatively small when compared to other famous diamonds, the Moussaieff Red is, in fact, the largest Fancy Red the GIA reports having rated.

The Moussaieff Red is reported to have been found by a Brazilian farmer in the mid-1990s as a rough of approximately 11 carats (2.2 g). The diamond was purchased and cut by the William Goldberg Diamond Corp., where it went by its original name the Red Shield. It is currently owned by Moussaieff Jewelers Ltd.

The Moussaieff Red was displayed as part of the Smithsonian's "The Splendor of Diamonds" exhibit, alongside The De Beers Millennium Star and The Heart of Eternity.
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline Perfect Diamond

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:50:39 AM »
David I have seen that pair of diamonds on Youtube and it is a dream stone. I hope there are smaller ones that I can afford and better if flawless. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my most desired of things...
  :pear: :pear2: :pear:

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 02:15:22 PM »
Hi PD- Welcome to Cdi!!

Have you seen these?

I love this pair ! They`re 2 of my favourites as side stones. BTW has anybody ( other than David ) actually seen a red diamond in the flesh ? I haven`t and doubt I ever will  :-\
Lynne
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline Dominick

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 05:19:25 AM »
Hi PD- Welcome to Cdi!!

Have you seen these?

I love this pair ! They`re 2 of my favourites as side stones. BTW has anybody ( other than David ) actually seen a red diamond in the flesh ? I haven`t and doubt I ever will  :-\
Lynne

It's a nice pair but actually i also have doubt to seen a red diamond in the flesh? ::)

Offline Perfect Diamond

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:17:18 AM »

You can easily see artificially colored red diamonds everywhere but natural colored ones are not just one in a million, nor one in a hundred million but like me and you we are truly one and only.

:pear2:

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:36:13 PM »
So true, PD.

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 07:38:43 PM »

The Moussaieff Red is reported to have been found by a Brazilian farmer in the mid-1990s as a rough of approximately 11 carats (2.2 g). The diamond was purchased and cut by the William Goldberg Diamond Corp., where it went by its original name the Red Shield. It is currently owned by Moussaieff Jewelers Ltd.

The Moussaieff Red was displayed as part of the Smithsonian's "The Splendor of Diamonds" exhibit, alongside The De Beers Millennium Star and The Heart of Eternity.

I would totally wear that. 

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 11:43:30 AM »
i wonder if this is the red diamond that was mailed to the smithsonian, anonymously, regular parcel post..... uninsured!
i heard about this several years ago. maybe on ripley's believe it or not.......
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline Perfect Diamond

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 09:03:32 PM »
i wonder if this is the red diamond that was mailed to the smithsonian, anonymously, regular parcel post..... uninsured!
i heard about this several years ago. maybe on ripley's believe it or not.......

Fedex, UPS and DHL are expensive and they are the ones that the customs are more likely to inspect and taxed with. Recently I sent a pearl earrings to my German friend on a regular mail for only 58 pesos. That's a little more than $1!
 :4:

Offline Mikla

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 09:35:07 PM »
Was the package insured?

Mikla
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline Perfect Diamond

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 12:36:05 AM »
I have never insured a package and most of the things I sent arrive quickly and safe and it is even obvious that there's a jewelry inside bcoz of the hard bulge of the necklace. It only proves that there are still many honest postman on the planet especially Filipinos.

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 06:09:35 AM »
i recently bought 18k white gold hoop earrings that arrived in bubble envelope with box inside...........only it was empty. it was only then that i noticed it had been opened and resealed. the sticky tape that is. it was a little to obvious that it was a jewelry box inside. they are supposed to be sending me a new pair.  :'(
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline Perfect Diamond

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 08:19:32 AM »
i recently bought 18k white gold hoop earrings that arrived in bubble envelope with box inside...........only it was empty. it was only then that i noticed it had been opened and resealed. the sticky tape that is. it was a little to obvious that it was a jewelry box inside. they are supposed to be sending me a new pair.  :'(

That is sad news. I always recieve letters with a kinda open box and sealed in a plastic thing but still the contents are intact. Usually USPS are the best but anyone works here. I think the Philippine Postal Service are getting more honest since very few people send letters this day only gentlemen or the ones with good taste bcoz most people just like to send text messages or email.

I have received checks and jewelry intact and there arren't even signs of opening. Sometimes some packages are easily opened bcoz of poor quality paper and it's either done on purpose or accident. The only complain I get was when I'm expecting a packgae and it arrive almost a year later but the package has holes and taped and the CD case has been destroyed but the CD disks is ok thank god! and the the stones are there including the loupe and some papers and a $100 check. I figured it must have been lost in the postal office or have fallen somewhere else until some cleaning person found it and reported it and they mailed it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 08:22:28 AM by Perfect Diamond »

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »
Here's a lovely that I came across the other day and thought I would post it---what a gorgeous color .53ct---for only $410,000 :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 08:58:40 AM by Diamondluvr »
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »
Cheap. I just ran out of small change, what a shame. ;D

Offline Perfect Diamond

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »
Here's a lovely that I came across the other day and thought I would post it---what a gorgeous color .53ct---for only $410,000 :)

The diamond looks familiar to me...

That is the same one I saw being sold by another online vendor same size, shape, clarity, weight and price. That has been sold by them since last year and up to now there are still no buyers.

That diamond has no clarity report by GIA and we all know why.

According to my studies average quality diamonds have been dropping in prices while top quality whites and rare fancy colored diamonds have increased and more likely to maintain or go higher. Gold prices also rose everytime the price of oil rises and with the world's biggest population of China and India having more and more people rising to the middle class level they can now afford to buy luxury goods and buying gold jewelry, diamonds and jade has always been part of their culture. This countries are also obsessed about philosophy, p
urity and perfection so I guess you cannot sell them avarage quality diamonds.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:28:11 PM by Perfect Diamond »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »
I wouldn't call a 0.53 natural fancy purplish red "average"... no matter what the cut and clarity.

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 01:35:27 PM »
Actually, the GIA report is from 1998-I'm guessing these collectors stones don't sell all that quickly to begin with and there are so few of them, that if up for sale again- they will be recognizable.  I also wouldn't call this beauty 'average', no matter the clarity.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:37:49 PM by Diamondluvr »
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline Perfect Diamond

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 01:39:45 PM »
I wouldn't call a 0.53 natural fancy purplish red "average"... no matter what the cut and clarity.

I didn't say it's average. With that price tag its never average.  There are many Asian collectors who are looking for fine examples of rare stones that nobody else would own and something incomparable. That red diamond is such a coveted stone and I guess they have to find their target market. There are a dozens of rich Filipinos who would be interested on that but many of them don't know how to use computers. So they coudn't search or google for what they truly desire...

Offline hiratop

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 04:53:29 AM »
It is true that pure intense and vivid purple and deep and intense violet are rarer than straight red (and purplish red). The same might be true for straight orange. Until GIA makes their grading statistics public we can only rely on our and dealers subjective opinions though, based on how often they see these colours in the trade. That straight red is the rarest is a myth as far as I'm concerned, and many fancy colour dealers would agree with me. Other very rare colours are vivid greenish blue and other vivid blue green combinations.

Offline Sweet Pea

• Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »
Was the package insured?

Mikla

Chiming in somewhat late on this but...I would imagine a diamond that priceless would be insured by someone like Lloyd's of London.  The USPS would go broke covering the insurance payout if it was lost or damaged.
"I will put the diamond chain round your neck, and the circlet on your forehead, which it will become: for Nature...has stamped her patent of nobility on this brow, Jane; and I will clasp the bracelets on these fine wrists, and load these fairy-like fingers with rings." ~ Edward Rochester, Jane Eyre

Offline Dresden

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »
The MOUSSAIEFF is the MOST BEAUTIFUL thing ive ever laid my eyes apon *faints*

*recovers*

Oh to have been that Brazilian farmer!!!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 02:09:18 AM »
Oh to be Moussaieff... ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:09:29 AM by oldmancoyote »