Author Topic: The coyote's den  (Read 89977 times)

Offline joia

Re: The coyote's den
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2008, 03:24:28 AM »
I am "gobsmacked" that is what art deco heaven is made of......  Even the beautiful piece designed by DF looks art deco...   Absolutely gorgeous, wonderful, a feast for the eyes.  The very few times that I have liked something  that is not art deco has been when I see some lovely 1950-60īs retro pieces and you have those too.  As an art deco lover I guessed the jade straight off,  fantastic collection.
Congratulations on the photography too.

Joia

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 06:17:14 AM »
Bravo OMC!!! :bigclap:

Offline caratper

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 07:17:05 AM »
Absolutely fantastic collection!!!!!   What a way to start my day!! :wow: :wow: :wow:

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2008, 08:39:33 AM »
Exquisite Coyote  !
I can`t wait to see the DBL creation you`ve designed to live amongst these beauties.
Any chance of a hint ?  ;)
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2008, 10:01:46 AM »
Hi All,

Again thanks. I was reading an article in today's paper explaining how much of the economic crisis is caused by lack of liquidity because suddenly mortgage backed securities have become unfashionable. Perhaps banks should have invested in Deco jewellery... but it's just as well they didn't, so it remains affordable for us!

jewellk: and he didn't take you up on it? I... will be a gentleman. And not say more.

khrystal1968: Hope you found both your eyes and the stalks were not damaged by overextension. Not quite a pound: 3 1/4 oz (94 grams). But it feels substantial! And please post :picturewhore:

joia: I'll claim at least joint honours for designing the piece. On the other hand, DF wears it with far more grace and poise than I could ever do. But we are very pleased that you think it has a Deco feeling to it.

GIAGirl: we are getting married. As soon as the Town Hall tells us a date... (I know, it sounds like a joke, but it's not)

Awestruck: I can't tell too much, because it's a surprise - see above paragraph, but if you have been looking at CDI / DBL's sites over the last two months you have seen quite a lot of the surprise... I promise CDI membership will get fourth viewing (David + team, myself, DF, then you guys - can't get better than this, can I?)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:13:56 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline titania

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »
Sigh. Words fail me, except thank you, thank you. A magnificent collection - I've always wished there were a Museum of Vintage Jewelry near me. But now, you are it. The Art Deco pieces are....exquisite.
Thank you again, OMC.  Standing Ovation from
Titania

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2008, 12:59:23 PM »
 :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud:

OMG.  I have fallen and I can't get up.  I don't want to either if it means I have to leave this thread.  HO-LEE-COW.  I am officially short of breath and green with envy.  What a collection!!!  What a lucky woman!!!  OMG!  Sorry, I gotta go back and look at the pics again!

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »

I would NEVER take this off.  NEVER! 

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »
You may want to when you sleep. Those prongs are blipping sharp, believe me.

That is the piece that set us off on the road to addiction serious jewellery ownership.  ;D

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2008, 04:51:54 PM »
 :picturewhore: is aghast and just now able to weakly pull my self from the floor after seeing all the photos, particularly of deco jewelry. I am a married woman but if you have a brother? Holy Toledo Batman!

I cannot wait to see what you get from David to add to that collection. I tell you want, I just want to go shopping with you some time just to absorb the fun and model things so you can surprise your very lucky wife. 

I've been out most of the morning. Imagine my coming back and seeing this GALLERY!

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2008, 08:38:09 AM »
What a fabulous collection :) 
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline caratper

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2008, 11:08:02 AM »
"I tell you want, I just want to go shopping with you some time just to absorb the fun and model things so you can surprise your very lucky wife.  "

If WM is unavailable I will happily volunteer for this duty!!  ;D

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2008, 05:05:48 PM »
OK, so far I've sold three brothers, four uncles, six cousins and a couple of fathers. Plus two "personal shoppers". Deal! (or as David would no doubt say: "Mazal v'bracha")

Thanks for the offers. You never know...  ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:06:37 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline robin

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2008, 05:53:20 PM »
Fabulous.  I love the long dangly earrings.  I can just imagine your DF wearing them with, say, a navy or black or even red velvet dress with a portrait collar.

Sigh.

Offline joia

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2008, 12:46:09 PM »
I was just trying to follow OMCīs instructions - I still canīt manage but I tried to take a photo of my star sapphire and I was very surprised when the one star ended up like this.  I have never seen it do this before and I managed to get a pic.

Joia

Offline titania

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2008, 01:38:50 PM »
WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!! What a stunner! Is it blue, blue gray? It's immense and gorgeous, Joia!

Offline joia

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »
Bluish grey and I am not sure about how many carats but it is quite large and a high cabochon.  Ceylon sapphire I have been told.  Only one star usually though.
It doesnīt attract much attention as most people have no idea what it is, someone asked me why I had a ring made with a pebble....

Joia

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2008, 02:38:34 PM »
Joia
I love the star sapphires. It`s very lovely.
Lynne
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2008, 03:53:49 PM »
Hi Joia:

Interesting - did you have a lamp/light in the background as well as the flash? It looks like you managed to get two light sources with roughly the same intensity focused on the stone at the same time.

There is no reason why you shouldn't get 2 (or even 3) stars; the stars are due to rutile needles inside the sapphire which tend to lie in a 60 degree-angle pattern to each other. As long as the light sources are focused enough, you'll get one six-ray star pattern for each light.

Lovely colour by the way.

I'll take a picture of my picture making apparatus (!), maybe it helps

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »
Ok, here they are, the magical instruments:

"the white box" AKA three pieces of A4 paper. What you see inside is a jeweller's loupe.

and "the magic cardboard" AKA a piece of business card cut to fit around the lens.

Apologies for the very very poor photos, but I only had a mobile phone camera without flash, and I needed the other hand to hold the camera and cardboard.

Hope this helps

Offline joia

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »
Thanks OMC that is a great help,but  there is something you should have put on the list, and that is talent.
I know from Mrs Mitchel that David also  picks up a diamond and takes a photo and it turns out beautifully  like yours.  He used Mrs Mīs camera so it wasnīt the camera.
I am going to try again tomorrow using the OMC method (I bet djm does too).
That little visiting card trick was unexpected.
Thanks again,
Joia

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2008, 06:06:22 PM »
I am going to try again tomorrow using the OMC method (I bet djm does too).
That little visiting card trick was unexpected.
Joia

Joia--HOW DID YOU KNOW!!! LOL!

OMC--I had to laugh when you posted the picture with your camera and flash deflector. The way I interpreted your description was to put the piece on the top of the camera  with the card coming down over the flash at a 45 degree angle. Does that make sense? Anyhow, aside from getting hand cramps holding the card and pushing the button at the same time, the picture came out as if there was no flash at all.  :1087:
I'm usually pretty good with spatial relationships but I just couldn't figure it out with the description. Now that I see the picture...well let's just say...DUH! :dontknow:

I'm going to try it again and post pics.
Thanks for the info...
djm

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »
Sorry djm, but I had to laugh at your description above. My apologies for not being clearer; I only realised yesterday one of our mobile phones had a camera.

I'm afraid the "new" card position does not make any difference to the cramps (you just get them in the other hand), but the pictures do come out!

You may need to adjust the angle of the card depending on how much diffusion the little bit of plastic in front of the lamp manages, and how much reflection you get from walls / ceiling (I was shooting in a room with very light yellow walls and pure white ceiling, plus the "white box" helps). With some pieces (especially the "all whites") I had it almost flat against the flash.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:32:24 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Ok, I had saved this thread for when I had enough time to really sit down and enjoy it, and I'm glad that I did!

What an amazing collection you have OMC, and I'm very glad you took all of the time and effort to share it with us. 

I'm not going to even begin to pick a favorite, but I was very taken with the pink topaz pendant.  Is that a step cut half moon on top?

Thank you again!
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline IhaveaDiamondproblem

• IHADP's GALLERY
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2008, 10:07:39 AM »
OMG this is such a fantastic thread; I just keep coming back over and over again and see something else droolworthy every time. I think I am able to take in only so much at one time and there's just SO MUCH here to salivate over!  Also, terrific  photo tips, thank you OMC!

JOIA, your star sapphire ring is absolutely TDF. Seriously. And fantastic shot capturing the star patterns, LOVE IT!!!!!
You - and DMJ - MUST share the results of the new camera techniques.

Off to read through the thread yet again......