Author Topic: The coyote's den  (Read 91793 times)

Offline joia

Re: The coyote's den
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 12:12:45 PM »
 :bigclap: :wow: :bigclap: :wow: :bigclap: :wow: :bigclap:

Now that is what I call a collection.   
BTW I have always loved tuttifrutti pieces, a good way to set all those gorgeous colours.  The Cartier piece    :th_AWA123112:
All the girls asking about brothers - what about a father?
Coyote´s girlfriend, you are a very very lucky girl.  (from what we can see a very pretty girl too).

Joia

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 12:41:36 PM »
AMAZING stuff!!!!

How lucky are we to be able to glimpse all these amazing pieces.
THANK YOU OMC for sharing!!!!!!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline CaratHead

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 01:15:20 PM »
Beautiful pictures of beautiful items!! 

Codpiece??  How about Oh My Carats!
So many ballgames, so little time...

Offline Me-Ann

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »
All I can say is WOW!  Great pics!   :wow2: :omg:
*~Me-Ann~*

Offline IhaveaDiamondproblem

• IHADP's GALLERY
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »
Beautiful pictures of beautiful items!! 

Codpiece??  How about Oh My Carats!

Or Ohhhhhhhh myyyyyyyy,   ...... Carats!!!!!!

Either way, I think you're defiitely well represented by OMC.  I keep coming back to admire these wonderful pieces.

So, you must have uncles.  Cousins?  <Sigh>  Knew it, you guys are few and far between. 

Every time I talk about sparklies in any form, my DB's eyes glaze over and he's just.....gone.  He is polite and doesn't interrupt or try to change the subject, but you know, he just leaves, in his mind.

He makes up for it in other ways though. (get your mind out of the gutter people.)  I mean he loves trash talking all the tabloid and political scandals with me, AND he's an American Idol freak just like me. And he's a complete and total sweetheart, and he's a rock star too. To me anyway - he's lead singer/guitar/keyboards in a band.  And cute to boot. 
Ok ok, never mind the uncle cousin search OMC, I'm keeping mine today.  ;D

Offline BigRed

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »
:faintthud: :Score-101010: :faintthud: :tongue3: :Heart: :boobban: :DropGob: Your collection is out of this world! Thanks so much for sharing it! You gave me a wonderful treat today!
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 06:49:17 PM »
Hi all. Apologies for the delayed replies, but we've gone out for the day.

Titania: I wish I could keep posting photographs like those even just for a year. Unfortunately there's far fewer pieces than 365. But a few more are coming tomorrow. And then, David is making something that will be quite interesting too...

GIAGirl: here is how...

If you see that little pin I highlighted, it's a clear indication that the piece was meant for mounting in a frame of some sort.

Given it's a totally symmetrical piece, it could either have been a double clip, or as a centrepiece in a necklace or tiara. Since the end of the clip is rounded, a double clip is ruled out (wouldn't fit - you'd have two rounded sides next to each other, which is not nice) and a necklace is unlikely, since it would be quite awkward (you can see that the clip doesn't really sit straight/flat when worn with the choker, which is why I've had to take the photograph from below rather than "straight on"). In addition, there's a few C tiaras from the '30s that have survived whole, and they have centre clips with similar symmetrical designs.

CH/djm/IHADP: I like all "new" OMCs (especially the Old Mine Cut one!) - but I'll stick with the canine one for "romantic" reasons, if you don't mind.  ;)

Sarahbelle: I guess another advantage is that losing 2 ct by dieting is quite a bit easier than losing 2 lbs, should one ever need to...

djm: What I did was to take a piece of cardboard cut to slightly over the width of the flash lamp, then fold it in two with an angle of about 135 degrees, and hold it in front of the flash - one side of the angle flat against the camera, the other so that light would bounce off the card in a very diffused way and not hit directly the stones.

David: this is high praise indeed. :-[ Thank you, Sir.

And to all of you: aw, shucks. :grouphugg:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:48:24 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 12:28:58 AM »
I love tiaras.  I seriously would wear one if it were even a little acceptible.  I wish my DB was royalty in some way...any excuse.  A tiara clip might be as close as I get.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline joia

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 04:21:26 AM »
Guess who is going to rush round looking for white cardboard this morning.  Thanks OMC I am always getting too much shine from jewellery when I try to photograph it.  Good idea  to ask djm.....that is something that has been annoying me for ages.
That clip is gorgeous, I have a few pieces from about (1930´s that have a clip like that on the back (none of them signed Cartier unfortunately but they are French).  This clip looks fantastic as a brooch, pendant and on the velvet ribbon it is especially  gorgeous.....
I love tiaras and I see that lots of them transform into necklaces, break up into bracelets, earrings etc for the times when it is not suitable to wear a tiara.
By the way only married women are supposed to wear tiaras (some obscure etiquette) that excepts brides and royal princesses of course.....
Now there is a good excuse to get married.  Somehow a tiara seems to just give any outfit a certain touch, LOL.

Joia

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 06:03:40 AM »
I love tiaras.  I seriously would wear one if it were even a little acceptible.  I wish my DB was royalty in some way...any excuse.  A tiara clip might be as close as I get.  Thank you for sharing.

Well, I felt this way too. So did my co-workers. We simply declared the occasional Works Tiara Day from time to time and just wore them. I think a dress code is a good idea at work.

Jen

Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 06:25:45 AM »
:laughing4: :rotflmao: :laughing4: :rotflmao: :laughing4: :rotflmao:

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 07:44:48 AM »

Surely, he IS the king of your heart, is he not? Excuse enough in my world...

Offline Sarahbelle

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2008, 08:53:12 AM »
OMC: somehow able to make enabling sound like a romantic gesture  ;D ;D ;D

Offline caratper

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 11:02:37 AM »
Fabulous collection,OMC.  Can't wait to see more pics.  Wow...that tiara clip...how wonderful to own a piece of sparkly history!  Thanks for sharing with us!   :D

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 07:50:49 PM »

Surely, he IS the king of your heart, is he not? Excuse enough in my world...

That might be just enough to send him over the edge.  He would really think I was crazy, but it is sweet nonetheless.  He also would not buy that excuse.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
Let's be brutally practical - as long as he buys the tiara...  >:D

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 10:30:55 PM »
Right - installment 2 (of 2 - I'm running out of stuff!). Get scrolling equipment at the ready, 'cos this is going to be even longer. No model photos either, since sensibly DF is sleeping, at 3.30am.

Let's start from an observation that is not going to make me popular with gem dealers: to make great jewellery, you don't need that much in terms of gem content.

As shown by these earclips by B...

...or this brooch by G.

On the other hand, even superbly textured gold, modelled by masters (and make no mistakes, those two ARE masters) can be boring without a little sparkle. So, sensibly, the masters have put in little sparklies.

Completely at the other extreme are diamond studs

2 x 1.something cts / F+ / SI (all my own very professional grading). The interesting story behind those two is that they were set on my maternal grandma's engagement ring (circa 1935). When my DF turned 30, my mother decided to have them re-set as studs, and gifted them to her. Here they are individually

I love the stones, and the story. At some point I'll have them re-set in platinum - or perhaps I'll invest in getting some jackets made (pink? yellow? blue? - what do you think, ladies?).

If you find only white boring, how about black & white? This diamonds and onyx bracelet dates from about 1925, it has about 10 ctw of old cut diamonds in colours varying from H to J - apologies for the quality of the photo, but the 500 pixel maximum really hits large pieces hard...

... so I took a little detail photo...

The incredible thing about this bracelet is how little metal there is: total weight is about 24 grams, less than 1 oz - take away 2 grams for the diamonds and 1 for the onyx, and you are left with very little platinum (to be precise, about 1 cubic centimetre in all, for something that is 18 cm long and 2 wide). As it is apparent from this side view

Then again, they seemed to make a point of using as little metal as possible in the Deco period: look at this...

...which really should be looked at like this...

... or together with its mate. Both of them first seen in a posh boutique in Paris (makers' mark so difficult to read, I'd need a microscope - and then some) circa 1935.

They give a completely new meaning to the word "ear rings", don't you think? To appreciate them fully, though, you've got to see them worn. Next shot tomorrow morning...

This is a piece of jewellery that turns the scales at just under 10 grams. For both! From which you need to take out the stones, at about 9 ctw (just short of 2 grams). And to think that on fleaBay you get sellers trumpeting about the amount of metal in their pieces. Of course, if selling things for scrap is your most likely option, then weight counts  >:D

The other interesting point about Deco jewellery is that it changed so much in character within 10 years. look at these:

so typical of early 20's jewellery, even though they are set with older diamonds, probably recycled from a Victorian piece

The larger stones are about 50 points, and despite the extremely sub-optimal cut they sparkle like there's no tomorrow.

Just in case you think Deco is all about white, here's some colour

a wonderful (even if I say so) C sautoir dating from circa 1920 in its original box. Before scrolling further, guess what the beads are made of...

... and you probably guessed emerald. Wrong. It's jade. And for a Western piece it's pretty good quality jade.

The metalwork is extremely simple: a diamond-set clasp and a clip to shorten the sautoir, in true flapper style. Bad photo, but look at how closely set these little diamonds are. And see how much DBL pieces are similar: despite everything, some craftsmen still care about producing excellent work today.

From light and airy Deco to the somewhat heavier style of what could be late '60s V (again, blasted makers' marks are unreadable). These coral, diamond and gold earclips turn the scales at over 17 grams - each! But the angel skin coral beads have such a nice tint...

... plus they can be removed, leaving a lighter "daywear" clip. Still somewhat blingy, considering the larger stone is over 50 points...

However, I'm assured they are comfortable all day long, even with the beads.

Since we are on pink - that by now you will have figured out is one of our favourite colours - take a look at this:

6 carats of Brazilian pink topaz, unheated (or at least I hope so!). Add 0.75 ctw of G/VS fancy cuts diamonds, a few grams of platinum, some hours of OMC's own design and a friendly jeweller, and here is the result

Very wearable - and one of DF's favourites. There is something special about choosing your own stones that - no matter how good "ready made" pieces are - makes some things unique.

Not that you can't find some excellent "ready made" designs - look at this cocktail ring from the late '30s with invisibly set sapphires...

... and its astounding three-dimensional shape.

Despite appearances, it doesn't look big once it's worn. Or how about this bracelet/watch from G from the 1940s?

Or would you prefer this platinum, diamonds and cabochon sapphires bangle from the 1950s?

At the end of the day, though, if we are speaking of jewellery design, I think there is nothing to beat the 1930s. And this is why I got this - the only piece of "jewellery" that DF will never wear.

A small (1 1/2" x 1" x 1/4") platinum travel clock by M, encrusted with little diamonds set in geometric patterns and a pair of half-circle cabochon sapphires

The ends of the case - set with sugar-loaf calibré sapphires - are spring-loaded buttons that when pressed open the two doors, letting the face out and blocking the doors open. When pressed again, the face falls down inside the case and the doors can close.

Neat, or what? It's just a shame it has no alarm, or I'd use it all the time!

Still, sometimes simpler designs can work just as effectively:

A large (17 mm) South Seas pearl, with two very unusually cut diamonds set in platinum, accompanied by a seed pearl and "diamond box" platinum chain by T. Detail of the pendant

and further detail of the double-pointed baguette (or is there another name?) and kite-cut diamonds. Both L-M in colour and VS+

Finally, on the subject of design, a little test: What do you think this is, and when do you think it was made?

No points for guessing "a yellow gold ring". Score 1 point if you guessed "sapphires and blue-grey chalcedony" (one of the favourite materials of S B, one of the great jewellery designers of the 20th century - not that the piece is by her, but one extra point if you thought of her). Score 10 points if you guessed Aspreys, late 1990s (1997 to be precise). It's a complete throwback to V designs of the late 1960s. Unusual, and again - despite appearances - not bulky at all.

Now, since we started with quizzes, we may as well end with one. What is this?

Looks like a diamond brooch with a sugar loaf sapphire, set in platinum, circa 1940. When seen from the back...

...the extraordinary quality of workmanship is even more apparent. There is virtually no casting, even on the pavé parts - it's all fabricated out of platinum wires and strips, patiently measured and soldered together. These guys had loads of time (and fun) making it. There isn't a single straight line apart from the prongs.

But wait a minute, what is this?

Another one? With three large(ish) longish EC diamonds (1.1 / 0.95 / 0.95 ct, F / VS - I think)

Or do they go together side by side?

Or back-to-back?

Actually, you can do all that, and more. It's a 1940s necklace by M, with two detachable clips. About 20 ctw diamonds, here in all its glory (and $&*^!@ 500 pixels!)

Is that a good finale? I hope so, 'cos the safe is empty!

Hope you enjoyed the tour. I enjoyed enormously preparing it, cleaning the pieces, photographing them, thinking about what to say and how to string together a (semi)coherent story.

David, do you need an assistant?

Now, good night!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:44:52 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Sarahbelle

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2008, 10:46:29 PM »
 :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob: :DropGob:

Offline IhaveaDiamondproblem

• IHADP's GALLERY
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 11:03:34 PM »
 :faintthud: :DropGob: :faintthud: :DropGob: :faintthud: :DropGob: :faintthud: :DropGob: :notworthy: :hail: :notworthy: :hail: :notworthy: :hail:

Beyond gobsmacked. Stunned and amazed. The pieces. The presentation.
Standing freaking ovation for you OMC...as soon as I can manage to pick myself up off the floor, that is.  I'm going to spend hours on this thread studying and researching the details.

What a gift for you to share these magnificent pieces with us.  <has died and gone to jewelry heaven>  Just incredible.  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS amazing collection - and for all the time and energy you put into a masterful artistic presentation.  Know that it is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 11:11:34 PM »
going through your thread has been a complete pleasure and indulgence for sure!!!  i love that most of your pieces have an amazing history!  really, a true pleasure to view, thank you for taking the time to document this awe-inspiring collection!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline BigRed

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 11:34:11 PM »
:DropGob: :boobban: :faintthud: :DropGob: :boobban: :faintthud: :DropGob: :boobban: :faintthud:  HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That watch and that bangle are  :th_AWA123112: :hot_stern: You have the most unique, wonderful collection I have ever laid my eyes on!   
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline jewellk

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2008, 12:02:05 AM »
Holy Cow!!

I just showed DH only a portion of your amazing collection (he's a "rock" collector). I told him that if he bought ROCKS like that, that I would walk around the house wearing nothing but his rocks!!'

:DropGob:

Seriously, you have impeccable taste and your collection is nothing les than astounding! Thank you for sharing and giving me ammunition  ;)
 >:D >:D >:D >:D

Mindi  :munky2:

Offline jewellk

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2008, 12:32:25 AM »
btw... I'm an obsessive lover of old jewelry and a new appreciator of texture and dimension in metalsmithing (having just recently taken a metalsmithing class) so I really appreciate the diversity of your collection. Thank you again for sharing!!

:drool:
Mindi  :munky2:

Offline khrystal1968

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2008, 12:39:18 AM »
Holy diamonds, Batman! Hang on while I put my eyes back into my sockets. I bet that necklace weighs a pound! My fave are those pearl earrings with the funky diamonds. Those are awesome! Keep putting more pics up, I need more of your eye candy. I am a sucker for the antique stuff. I have a couple of old pieces of my own, I should post 'em up! :picturewhore: :wow:
Obsessed with sparklies since birth...

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2008, 12:50:50 AM »
Good Lawd!  That necklace is to die for.   I am love the peices from the deco period.   If I were the DF, I would certianly be making you the DH PRONTO!!!