Author Topic: The coyote's den  (Read 91510 times)

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
The coyote's den
« on: March 21, 2008, 06:51:59 PM »
Well, here they come. This is going to be a looooooong post, get your scrolling bars ready.

What colours do you like?

Let's start with pink, since it seems to be de rigueur on this forum of late. No diamonds (yet), but how about a nice pink sapphire?

The ring is circa 1950 by S - note the typical gold ropework. Stone data unknown; I estimate it at slightly above 2 cts, and it's definitely a VS if not a VVS.

In natural light, the sapphire is purplish pink, not this salmony colour. I have tried to get it closer to its natural look by tinkering with software, but in the end I gave up and left it as it came out of the camera... this next picture is slightly better for colour, but still not close enough

when worn, it looks like this

On the other hand - or indeed on the same hand (pardon the pun), this padparascha's colour came out really well. The stone is 1.24 cts, very clean inside and it could do with a bit more red (and with a better wash outside - this time it got away with a quick brush and a bit of detergent), but she liked the shape of the cluster. And I liked the way it fitted her hand.

don't you think this cluster is nice?

and this IS a lotus bud's colour at dawn. Never got up that early to see them, but they assured me it looks like this.  :sultan:

From pink to red. This is an interesting ring by S, a Berlin-based firm (and that's Berlin, Germany, not Berlin, Iowa) - it can be dated with certainty to before 1983, because that's when they went bankrupt...  >:D Interestingly, I'm told the patent on invisible setting by V expired in 1986. Since the two ruby panels are invisibly set, I can only hope that the statute of limitations applies and V won't come after us... Actually, the ring was probably made in the mid-60s, so I'm sure they will have forgot.

Again, no idea of stone data, but there's a lot of nicely matched rubies there. And the metalwork and design are just incredible.

After hot red, a little cool blue. A 1960 ballerina ring by M, Paris. Yes, the sapphire is THAT colour in bright light. A little darker when the sun (or the flash) is not shining on it. I did not tinker with this one - just cropped it. Some cornflowers could learn...

The stone is - methinks - over 3.5 cts, since it's very deep. And the design is so nice...

Now it's time for a little green... and no, it's not a Paraiba. It looks a bit like one, but it's not. It's still Brazilian, though (we bought it in Rio). Can't find the paperwork now, so I can't tell you how big it is, but what sold it to us was the colour. Very little black in this seawater.

If that is water, this is grass. Lush grass. Again a b^%$h of a colour to get right. It's a little darker in natural light, and it looks much greener still.

A really original design from the 1930s - I just love the way they used the double baguettes to "hold" the cab emerald.

Heck, I'm running out of colours. But wait - perhaps if we mixed a few together...

and look - there IS a pair of fancy coloured diamond, after all. I'd say fancy intense yellow - take into account it's not set on yellow gold, but on platinum. It's a small pair, but it looks good on these 1930s tuttifrutti ear clips

...which look great when they are worn...

... if one remembers to photograph them from the right angle. We re-took this photo at least 20 times; never got the lighting right again, though we got the angle better. Just imagine that the head is tilted away from you a little bit, please.

And finally, if you really mix all colours, what do you get? White, of course!

A 1937 platinum & diamonds clip by C London. How do we know it's 1937 precisely? Actually we don't. But since it was made to be worn on a tiara, and out of 53 tiara clips made by C London in the 1930s, 35 were made in 1937 for the celebrations of the coronation of Edward VII, chances are...

OK, OK, I know this forum is about diamonds. I know little about this guy - from a gauge it comes up at 1.80 cts, it may be a little more since it's a transitional cut so it's a little deeper than "ideal". I like it a lot. To my untrained eye, it's clarity VS+ and colour G-H, but most of all it's alive.

OK - end of tour. Next time, necklaces, bracelets and watches... and a few more rings and earrings. If you like them with so few coloured diamonds.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:38:10 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Awestruck

Re: The coyote's den
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »
Fabulous Coyote, totally fabulous.
Lynne
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline Cockneysparrow

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:12:15 PM »
Crikey - the Cartier tiara clip is sensational.  How does your DW wear it? 

I also love the Brazilian green gemstone - is it an Apatite or Tourmaline?

Your lucky wife is all I can say!  Can't wait to see the next instalment.

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »
Hi Sparrow,

Unfortunately the rest of the tiara was lost, so no more wearing as it was meant. Besides, it's kind of awkward to wear a tiara nowadays  ;)

The clip has two prongs at the back, so it can be worn like a brooch. We have also a silk cord (bought at [notable British retailer], but with a platinum clasp ;) ) so it can be worn like a pendant, and a velvet choker band. In fact I think I'll take a couple of pictures tomorrow with natural light to show what it looks like.

A funny story about that clip is that once when DW (or rather, DF - we ain't married yet!) was wearing it at a Christmas party it was much admired by her colleagues. Towards the end of the evening, one finally gathered all her courage and asked "This is really wonderful. Where do you find such fantastic costume jewellery?" To which DF answered: "Oh, I don't know. It's something my boyfriend has found."  :angel: The other girl still thinks it's fake.  ;D

The green stone is a tourmaline.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:39:19 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Cockneysparrow

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
 ;D  I love that story! 

I think a tiara (unless you plan on getting married any time soon) has limited use so the choker is a great way to wear it.  Do I take it from the reference to John Lewis that you're a fellow Brit?

BTW I hope you don't mind me saying but the Ruby ring looks good enough to eat - do you remember when you were a kid making raspberry jelly with your Mum?  Well, that ring with the little bricks reminds me of that!  Lovely memories!

(Sorry but I don't know what "jelly" is known as is America - I'm not talking about the stuff that you put on toast though).

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »
Not quite a Brit. But lived in the UK half my life, so I guess I kind of qualify as an immigrant...

Plan to get married as soon as we can get a date, but we are in no hurry. This year it will be 24 years we are together.  :laugh:

Jelly is... jelly. Or jell-o. And that ring is hard. Actually, if you see them "in the flesh" the most chewable is the emerald. It really looks like a mint pastille.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:51:33 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:53:27 PM »
Great pics and awesome collection, thanks for sharing!
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline Cockneysparrow

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 07:59:45 PM »
Well half your life in the UK qualifies you as an honorary Brit!

I can't wait to see your other jewellery!  Don't take too long before posting more pics please!

Offline IhaveaDiamondproblem

• IHADP's GALLERY
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 08:30:10 PM »
Oldmancoyote, these are fabulous. Just fabulous.  I want to come and play in your den awhile.
Welcome to the forum, and you are definitely in the right place!

Did I mention these pieces are just fabulous?  Esp the tiara clip; amazing!!!  I can see that 1.8 really is alive, holy cow! What is the cut though? It looks like a RB but it must be an old cut of some sort.

That cornflower blue is slaying me, truly. And those GREENS, both of them!!!  And of course that is the exact hue of the dawn lotus (not that I've actually seen one either).

Fabulous!!!!  Did GIAgirl ask if you have a brother yet? LOL!

Thanks for sharing!!! :bigclap:

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 08:44:30 PM »
Thanks for the compliments - it's gratifying not just because you all seem to like the pieces, but it's also the first time I take photos of jewels... and I'm surprised at how well some of them came out.

The cut on the 1.8 is RB, all the facets are where they should be. However, it's cut using old proportions, so the crown is a bit higher than ideal, and the overall depth is a little too much. OTOH, if you fire a laser pointer at it, it makes the most amazing arrows pattern on the wall behind.

I could have sold two brothers on this forum already; evil thoughts about passing myself off as my own brother come to mind every now and then, given the lovely hands and jewellery seen about.

Shadows of "The importance of being Earnest", save us.  :Tempted:

:laughing4:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:45:10 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline IhaveaDiamondproblem

• IHADP's GALLERY
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 09:05:34 PM »

I could have sold two brothers on this forum already; evil thoughts about passing myself off as my own brother come to mind every now and then, given the lovely hands and jewellery seen about.

Shadows of "The importance of being Earnest", save us.  :Tempted:

:laughing4:

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »
Oh my goodness...great collection.  If DF ever rides off into the sunset, let me know and I will step in and wear some of the jewels.   :-*

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »
oh that sapphire ring had me at hello, gorgeous....and that cartier pin....what a gorgeous piece of history!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 03:13:17 AM »
Hi OMC (hey, I like the sound of that ;))

Awesome pics for a first round and a cool collection. I'm totally impressed. Do you mind me asking what kind of camera you are using?

Offline cherrypie

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 04:30:08 AM »
What a fabulous collection, and such unusual pieces!  I'm totally envious.   ;D

Carol    8)

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 05:23:02 AM »
Hi djm,

As long as OMC does not stand for Oh My Codpiece I guess it's fine  ;D

Actually, for any one interested, a great book to read - or to read to your kids if you are so inclined - is Indian Tales, by Jaime de Angulo (still in print). The name comes from there.

Hey - I warned you in my first post I was - well, let's say detail oriented, eh?  >:D

So, this is how the photos were taken:

The camera is a Panasonic DMC-FX9. Great lens, $300 or so, and it fits in one's shirt pocket; I think it has been superseded, but they still make something like it.

No tripods, three white sheets of paper folded to make a rudimentary white box, a piece of white carboard in front of the flash to make a diffuser and to avoid overexposure, a bit of tinkering with white balance BEFORE you take the photo (I only adjusted it once, and again this morning - see next post), and a willing DG/DF/DW (no, that's not a diamond grading scale) to lend a hand - literally

Et voila
 :geni:

GIAGirl: offer duly noted in my little black book...  ;)

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 05:30:47 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, by request, here comes the C clip again. This time it's worn... and it still looks quite good, if I may say so

as a pendant...

..or as a choker...

Process for taking the photo involves dragging DF out of bed, getting her to wear a nice top and the item - who need make-up or even a shower when the sun is shining - taking a couple of shots and shrinking them. So, apologies for the slightly bedraggled appearance of the diamonds (she's the biggest gem in the collection, at 245,000 tcw)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:40:27 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Pinklady

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 05:52:37 AM »
OMG! That is simply AMAZING!!!!  :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud: :faintthud:

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 05:53:41 AM »
LOL Coyote
Your DF must have the patience of a Saint bless her ...
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline titania

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »
OMG, OMC. I am speechless at the beauty of your collection.
More photos please -- at least one a day for the rest of my life.
Thank you in advance,
Titania

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »
Very, very nice.  Your DF was nice to wear a nice top!  HA!  That is a real photo shoot. 
Hey Coyote, how did they tell the difference in a dress clip or coat clip and a tiara clip?

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 09:10:30 AM »
No, he does not have a brother, Folks! 

Offline GracefulLion

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 09:39:10 AM »
Wow!  Great stuff!  I join those who are just completely drawn in by that tiara clip!  WOWOW!!

Offline Sarahbelle

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 10:52:42 AM »
Gorgeous pieces, and I love how you've told us a little something about all of them! (I'm coveting the tourmaline like crazy!) It's also rather adorable how you refer to your love's weight in carats-- I should start doing that for me! That way, I can say "I'm not fat, I'm x carats!"

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 10:59:49 AM »
As long as OMC does not stand for Oh My Codpiece I guess it's fine  ;D

I was thinking along the lines of OLD MINE CUT diamonds but, Oh my Codpiece works too...j/k

Thanks for the info re: the photoshoot. Are you saying you put a piece of white cardboard over the flash?