Author Topic: clean, shiny platinum!  (Read 17730 times)

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
Re: clean, shiny platinum!
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »
 :webmistress:

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »
I don't know. Does a solution go in the jewel jet steamer? I think if it does, it would go in. But for some reason I thought jewel jet was just a blast of hot water and that no solution went into it at all. So I would think if the JJ took solution at all, this would work. If the JJ did not take solution, it would not. I don't have a JJ.

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 11:01:01 PM »
i may be getting a bit off topic here.... but i have never understood why people like platinum so much. i use to work for a jeweler and it was there i noticed how dull the metal would get with some wear. people use to bring in their jewelry to be buffed out by the jeweler......... give me white gold any day! it's a lot cheaper and doesn't get dull. i would rather spend my money on the sparklies..... ;D
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline Mikla

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »
Just my two cents, but I love the soft patina of worn platinum.  IMHO it shows off the sparklies best!  I don't polish it unless there's an actual decent-sized scratch.  I've only had to do it once, when a prong had a gouge in it.  Also, I like the weight and durability of platinum, and the fact that it is almost pure and doesn't need rhodium plating. 

Mikla
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:57:09 AM by Mikla »
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 10:26:01 AM »
I love platinum, and I like the patina, but I also like it when it's freshly polished. I'm fickle! ;D I get my wedding set polished by a professional every couple of years now, and it gives it a whole new look that changes gradually over time. Buffing it with a cloth helps, but it will take on a patina. I can usually achieve some pretty big dents and scratches, too.

Not a lover of white gold, my skin does something funny to the rhodium plating in record time. I've given up on white gold for rings and my tennis bracelet looks terrible. I seem to be ok with white gold for earrings though. It's making me wonder if palladium might be the answer. Does anyone have a palladium ring?
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »
Just my two cents, but I love the soft patina of worn platinum.  IMHO it shows off the sparklies best!  I don't polish it unless there's an actual decent-sized scratch.  I've only had to do it once, when a prong had a gouge in it.  Also, I like the weight and durability of platinum, and the fact that it is almost pure and doesn't need rhodium plating. 

Mikla

Me too, on all of the above. And another thing - while gold alloys have improved a lot, and many constructions that could only be achieved using platinum can now be done in gold, there's still something magical about the lightness of construction that 1890 to 1930 platinum pieces achieve.

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 11:43:34 PM »
I am no prejudiced about any of the metals. I think there are pieces that look great in plat and others in white gold. I also love yellow gold.

By the way, does anyone know if the jewelry jet takes a cleaner or just water?

Offline Alicia

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 03:23:01 AM »
Great idea, but i wish to advice that due to platinum's density, strength and high melting temperature it is advisable any resizing, repairs, polishing, cleaning or alterations be done by a qualified jeweler who has been 'bench trained' in platinum.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »
I am firmly in the camp that prefers platinum. Although I love rose and yellow gold, white gold does not do it for me, for all the reasons already listed in earlier posts.

What I like MOST about platinum is the weightiness and feel in my hand. I've worn both WG and platinum 24/7; the platinum held up much better. When it comes down to it, I prefer the look of dull and dinged-up platinum to the look of worn-away white gold in need of a rhodium re-wash. And, as already mentioned, I can take a platinum piece to a jeweler and have the metal polished to look like new. By contrast, with WG, once the metal is worn away, it is gone, quite literally.

That being said, I understand someone's preference for WG. If you like a lighter-weight piece and feel of the gold alloy, you don't care for the patina of worn platinum, and, you are not as hard as I am on jewelry, WG can be your perfect metal, especially if the price is reasonable.

Offline DBLrocks

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 02:03:08 AM »
As I'm surfing on the net, I found that kind of cloth for cleaning jewelry but sad to say, that I didn't bookmarked the site. I can't remember the site domain name.

Offline NolaD

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 07:45:29 AM »
The best way to clean any diamond or platinum jewelry is to use lukewarm water and regular handsoap.  Just let the jewelry soak in the water.  If you have to, use a really soft, clean dry cloth to dry it off and get dirt or dust out of the nooks and crannies- but I don't think you need to use any store bought stuff....I mean, in my opinion it's just a waste of money.

Now, if your ring is damaged, take it to a jeweler.  You don't want to mess around with a real problem.  Take it to an expert.

Hope this helps!!!
:)