Author Topic: Yellow to white gold?  (Read 5042 times)

Offline evilmailjeep

Yellow to white gold?
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:44:51 AM »
I have a yellow gold and diamond bracelet, and I much prefer white or rose metals...Could someone please fill me in more about rhodium treatment, how to care for it, costs, that sort of thing?
Thanks!!

Snooper

Re: Yellow to white gold?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:56:05 PM »
I too would like to know...  :goodpost: :david:

Offline alexmom

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:30:21 PM »
Actually I think it is possible to go from yellow to white, because when I was speaking with David today, I'm sure he said I could rhodium plate the all yellow gold ring I bought if I wanted to.  As to how long it lasts...NO IDEA! I had a 14kt white gold ring once that was quite yellowish, and it required rhodium plating at least every few months, but I wore it everyday.  I took it to a factory jewellery plater in Montreal myself (he charged me $15), because all the jewellers I spoke to quoted anywhere from $30-$60 and at least 3 days to send it out.  I never did find a jeweller here that does that onsite, though I think most do in the US. :)

Nothing is more logical than a woman shopping on a budget.....why buy one item when for a "little bit" more you can get two!  See how responsible I am?

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:46:05 PM »
im sorry to all the yellow gold lovers out there, but i HATE yellow gold!  it does NOTHING for my skin tone and i only wear white gold.  i have had so many pieces plated and from what i have experienced, the wearing off all depends on the quality of the rhodium used, how often you wear a piece, and your own body's chemistry.  i have one ring that i wear almost daily, i have it plated about once per year.

we have a local flee market which has a huge jewelery exchange and they plate it on site in about 15 minutes for anywhere from $7-40 per piece.  for pieces i don't wear regularly, it can last for years.  hope this helps!   
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline Cindysid

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:09:13 PM »
I have also had many things plated. I get my white gold items that I wear often replated about once a year. Rhodium is very expensive these days, 6-9k per ounce, so it is becoming a little more expensive, but it is still well worth it. I have a 7. 5ct 14kyg tennis bracelet that I wear maybe 12 times a year, and it has lasted 3 years so far!
Bling's the thing that makes my heart sing!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 04:28:19 PM »
Hi All,
In a perfect world, all your gold would be the color you wanted it to be.
Rhodium plating of yellow gold is a temporary fix- just as yellow plating of white gold a temporary.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:10:13 AM »
Understanding that it is temporary and it would need redone, but how does plating work with detailed items?
Is this too detailed to treat?

Snooper

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 01:12:55 AM »
Yes I wanna know too!! I always wondered how they plate YG to WG when there are diamonds involved...

:david:

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 01:07:33 PM »
Hi all!
EMJ- detailed items like your bracelet are no problem to plate. But the fact that there are hinges, and other parts where metal touches metal means the plating would come off pretty much right away in those areas... which would not look at all nice IMO.

Snooper: Diamonds do not need to be "masked" ( covered, or protected from the plating in some way)- the plating will not stick to a diamond, or affect them in any way.
Masking is an essential step when plating jewelry that contains pearls- or in cases of two tone items where you want to preserve both colors.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Snooper

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 03:07:20 PM »
Very cool David! Glad you explained it! Thanks!!

Offline sharon333

• Diamonds
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »
That is a great explanation. Thanks.
New Here