Author Topic: Step cut diamond meets the evil diamond loupe  (Read 29000 times)

Offline elizabeth

Re: Step cut diamond meets the evil diamond loupe
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 12:41:40 PM »
The problem with having your jewelry cleaned at the mall is that you have sales people performing some functions with minimal training.  Case in point, a lady came into our store with a HUGE princess cut ring which I offered to clean for her.  I go to the polishing wheel and start polishing the shank.  The wheel ripped the ring from my hands and slammed it into the back of the machine - which broke the shank in the back where it had been sized.  I wanted to die.  Yes it was fixable and we were very lucky it wasn't a corner of the stone that was hit but looking back we should never have been expected to use that machine.
:N1oops03HL2:  I would have :faintthud:

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
The problem with having your jewelry cleaned at the mall is that you have sales people performing some functions with minimal training.  Case in point, a lady came into our store with a HUGE princess cut ring which I offered to clean for her.  I go to the polishing wheel and start polishing the shank.  The wheel ripped the ring from my hands and slammed it into the back of the machine - which broke the shank in the back where it had been sized.  I wanted to die.  Yes it was fixable and we were very lucky it wasn't a corner of the stone that was hit but looking back we should never have been expected to use that machine.

I don't know why but this post made me laugh DJ.
*can someone explain why? I'm sick*

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 12:49:27 PM »

There really isn't anything funny about it...but...I can't stop laughing :rotflmao:

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »

There really isn't anything funny about it...but...I can't stop laughing :rotflmao:

OMG!!! I need HELP!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:52:02 PM by djm195 »

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 01:44:52 PM »

Actually, I think the correct smiley would be this one  :pottytrain5: closely followed by this realization  :omg: leading swiftly to  :Exit-Stage-Right:.  It was not one of the better moments in my life.

DJM, I worry about you!   :drunken_smilie:  Get away from the rum barrel!

Snooper

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 01:46:01 PM »
ROTF!!! You're not alone! I laughed in that I could see Dj polishing it, and then VROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM WHACK, PING PING, there goes the ring.... And then I pictured DJ's face and her wonderful adorable accent saying things in a panic like "BLOODY )#$(*#*$)*)*$((# STUPID GIT)@#(#*)@ MOTHER #$$)$))*#*"

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 01:49:29 PM »
Snoop, you have it spot on!  The sound effects and everything!  At the time I was heavily pregnant with DS and I played on that for sympathy so the woman wouldn't leap the counter and knock seven bells out of me.......which, incidentally, she seriously looked like she wanted to do.

Snooper

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 01:52:56 PM »
HAHAHAHA!!! Too funny!  ;D

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2007, 01:54:23 PM »
ROTF!!! You're not alone! I laughed in that I could see Dj polishing it, and then VROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM WHACK, PING PING, there goes the ring.... And then I pictured DJ's face and her wonderful adorable accent saying things in a panic like "BLOODY )#$(*#*$)*)*$((# STUPID GIT)@#(#*)@ MOTHER #$$)$))*#*"

YES!!! THAT's PERFECT SNOOP!!!Doesn't anybody else see the humor here? ROFLMAO!!! :giveup:

Snooper

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 02:01:26 PM »
 :rotflmao: :giveup: :rotflmao: Seriously laughing here! HAHAHA Sooooooo glad we were all on the same page! HAHA

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »
I LOVE YOU SNOOP! I don't care what DJ says!!!! :rotflmao: :friends:

(and I haven't had anything to drink....yet)

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 02:26:36 PM »
It's so good when you can laugh with the people you care about.......oh wait, you're laughing AT me...... :a082: :1224:  ;D

I have absolutely no room to talk.  I once laughed so hard at a guy I watched break both his arms that when I called 911 I was unable to tell the operator where we were as I was laughing my arse off!

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 02:27:18 PM »
What`s everybody`s jewellery catastrophe ? We all must have a tale to tell involving jewellery !
Mine was when I`d gone trying on dresses and I was wearing a pair of gold hoop earrings which fastened with a kind of prong which went through the ear and fitted into a bracket at the back of the earring.
There I was in a changing room, pulling a rather lovely dress up over my head and one of the net underskirts got stuck on the back of my earrings. I didn`t want to pull the dress for fear of tearing it, both arms were up in the air, head was covered with the skirt of the dress and I was hardly wearing my Sunday best knickers. I resembled a coat stand.
So i muttered " Hup um thsuck ". Pardon said the sales woman ? This time a bit louder " HUP UM THSUCK ! " ( You guys ever tried talking through several net underskirts and a frock stuck over your head ? )
Anyway she finally realised I needed help but all 4 of my cheeks were bright red with embarrassment and the moral of this story is, never ever wear hoops, danglies or any other kind of earring when trying on dresses and secondly never ever be tempted to wear anything less that your best bloomers too !
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2007, 02:39:06 PM »
If we lost a diamond during the cleaning, we would be responsible for it, unless we told the person before hand that it was loose (although we wouldn't have cleaned it at that point).  We went to great pains not to lose diamonds and often had to empty the sonic cleaner to find one.  We were lucky enough to have a goldsmith on site.  The whole point of us cleaning pieces was to find things that needed repairing and so generate business.  Many times we would find loose stones and people would leave the item to be repaired as we wouldn't clean it at that point.  I remember getting into an argument with a customer who had several loose stones but said I was lying to trap his business.  Even though I stood there with tweezers rocking his considerably wobbly stones, he continued to insist I was trying to con him.   ::)

Snooper

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 02:39:28 PM »
Anyway she finally realised I needed help but all 4 of my cheeks were bright red with embarrassment ...

LMAO!!! haha I'll remember that!  ;D

DJ? Both arms broken? Tell the story!!!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »
four cheeks? ???
Oh, I get it!
hehehe

I'd say that it could be a real problem if a stone falls out during a routine ultra-sonic cleaning offered by a jewelry store.
See, even if they find the diamond, who's to say the person who puts it back in the ring won't screw it up worse?
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Snooper

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2007, 02:48:19 PM »
See, even if they find the diamond, who's to say the person who puts it back in the ring won't screw it up worse?

My thoughts (and fears) exactly!!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2007, 02:51:26 PM »
BTW- I could never use a 30 power loupe- and I would not recommend the use on jewelry.
Here's why: When you are making jewelry, it's NEVER perfect. NEVER.

The point is that it should be good enough to pass muster with your eyes- then, if something is noticeable, examine it with the 10x to see what's going on.
If we used a 30 power for quality control no ring would ever pass.......and I am extremely proud of the level of quality we've been able to achieve.
David

Snooper

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2007, 02:55:09 PM »
I'd like to get a 20x to see and find my diamonds inclusions, but yes, I am afraid to see what my pieces look like at 30x! I'd probably have a panic attack! LOL

10x is scary enough!!  :tard:

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2007, 02:57:59 PM »
Well i must be a right wuss Snoop cos I`ve never used a loupe in my life, let alone owned one, not even a x 10 one.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:59:05 PM by Awestruck »
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2007, 06:49:47 PM »

Actually, I think the correct smiley would be this one  :pottytrain5: closely followed by this realization  :omg: leading swiftly to  :Exit-Stage-Right:.  It was not one of the better moments in my life.

DJM, I worry about you!   :drunken_smilie:  Get away from the rum barrel!

:laughing4:   This is more suiting for the "DJ" smilies!    ROLF!!
 :DropGob: :tantrum2: :pottytrain5: :o :busted: :N1oops03HL2: :scared: :tantrum2: :Exit-Stage-Right:

Snooper

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2007, 11:51:03 PM »
See, that's the ONE big thing I love about well cut rounds.. The arrows!!!! (And how they face up well for size) but dang how they are usually more than fancies (at least for colorless, near) grrrrrrrrrrr

Offline CityGirl

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2007, 07:10:20 PM »
Just a quick thought about loupes.... At GIA we are FORCED to loupe grade diamonds and let me tell you...compared to a microscope it is such a pain! >:(  In a microscope, if you see something, you can just zoom in and "oh yes thats a feather..." with a loupe?? its more like "what the heck is that??  well i'm going with feather on that one...i guess.."  :-\

I'm told that i should really get good at loupe grading diamonds since that's the usual method in the trade but..i'm a scientist..give me a microscope and measuring tools over a magnifying glass and guestimation any day!

Thanks for enduring my rant everyone, only one more week till diamond graduation! ;) ;)  i suppose the loupe stuff will come in time....well let's hope at least!

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 07:41:41 PM »
I am so jealous!  I hope you are having a good time though!!!  ;)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2007, 08:01:42 PM »
City Girl: You bring up a very good point.
Why not simply use a microscope- you can see things so much easier!

Well, the reason is that grading needs to be scientific- to a certain degree- but aesthetics play a huge role.

In some senses, looking at a diamond scientifically is kind of diametrically opposed to looking at it from an intrinsic, and artistic standpoint.

Say you're matching stones.
What difference does it make how they look in a microscope- or even a 10 power loupe, for that matter- it's how they look to the eye.

That's why I believe 10 power is the agreed upon standard.
David